Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Total fertility rate last year hit a new low of 1.23

Default Re: Total fertility rate last year hit a new low of 1.23

i merely cited evidence to the contrary.
    Your example from Guardian did not establish the correlation between high fertility rates and immigration.

now, if your proposed mechanism holds firm, then it means that a growing population would result in the same end game - limited resources leads to scarcity perception, and therefore an increasing population would naturally lead to a drop in the fertility rates. you do not have to attribute it to migrants, do you?
    I am questioning the low fertility rate complain versus the current policies, it is not personal.

take a step back, and let your brain take you in the other way - a slackening of resources due to a dipping population (gradual as it is) - should that not increase the fertility rate based on your proposed mechanism?
    Based on what do you think that dipping population will translate to perceived or real slackening of resources?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

I don't see the big deal if our fertility rate drops?populations of all species rise and fall at different points. Having fewer babies is not the end of the world. We're not the only ones with low fertility rates. And also, quality over quantity.

Arrow Re: Total fertility rate last year hit a new low of 1.23

Last time we were heavily penalised and punished if we have more than two children.

Now they say we are not producing enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    comfortably is a measure that varies from one person to another.
    some are happy egh with a 3 room flat, some are only satisfied when they own a 30 hectares landed property.
    agree. alot of my PMEB friends say they cannot afford to have more kids. It is a matter of lifestyle choice. they are unwilling to sacrifice their comfy lifestyle to have more kids. Look at some other races or blue collar workers, they might not earn much but they are willing to have more than 1 kids (pardon my generalisation here).

people are more materialistic and coupled with the kiasu syndrome to want to have the best everything for the kids, its now wonder the educated PMEBs are not having more kids or deem they cannot afford to have more.

just my 2 cts worth speaking from my personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    I fail to see how having more FTs makes citizens want to have fewer kids. Are FTs secretly running around at night, poisoning the water supply and making SG men/women less fertile?

I think its more of a lifestyle issue, and what the couples' priorities are. I have a number of SG cousins (all married to Singaporeans) who are doing pretty well (high salary, private house, car, annual overseas trips) but refuse to have kids. Having kids means de-prioritizing their wants and needs for the child.
    cant agree more with your points! people are not willing to compromise/sacrifice their lifestyle!

Blog Entries

haha. why will they not? the garmen is facing the backlash from their stop at 2 only policy already. we used to be heavily penalised on having nmore kids, we used to be brainwashed taht 2 is good, and when things go TOO well, u face a low fertility rate of 1.23

garmen's new solution to problem? import more ppl. now we have a 2:1 ratio of singapore citizens to foreigners.

tell me how it is supposed to help birthrates.
    with 50% of population earning less htan 2.5k, u think wad "giving up ur lifestyle" is a good excuse?
    i find it ridiculous that most of the ppl posting here took a ridiculous stand that people dun wanna have kids even though they are rich. statistics show that it is to the contrary. most ppl cannot afford to have kids!

as for japan and otehr places, u do realise japan's economy is at an all time low? with high unemployment rates, who wants to have kids?
    if u want kids u gotta give ppl the conditions to making it good.

One suggestion to improve birthrate for CS-ers.

Low income CS-er: Sell off camera. Quit this expensive hobby and have more money to have babies.

High income CS-er: Sell off camera. Quit this time consuming hobby and mate more often to have babies.

Problem solved. HEHE.

Quote Originally Posted by soons View Post
    Government really need to brainstorm how to let Singaporeans have more sex and children after legal marrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    Condoms are sold at a cheaper rate in overseas.
    IMO the best solution? Ban all the sale of condoms and any contraceptives and abortion, like they did to chewing gum, and you will see the rate shoot sky high
    Last edited by DrSpock; 25th February 2010 at 12:18 AM.
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

This is somewhat expected ... I guess it's not just couples not wanting or deciding to have only 1 kid ... not forgetting people like us who are contented and bo bian to remain single (depending on how you look at it) ...

I guess what really matters at the end of the day is as long as we're happy with the decision(s) which we have made ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123