Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a personal computer- Tips please!

Default Re: Building a personal computer- Tips please!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Just another note. I remember back when I got my setup, most motherboards at that time limited the latency of the RAM or something. I was using CPUID to check stuffs and noted my RAM was "underclocking" which I had to modify the latency from the mobo to push it to the correct values. Take note of this especially if you are getting fast, low-latency RAM.
    Not really limiting. However, when the RAM is inserted into the motherboard, unless specifically adjusted by the user, the system will auto configure it to match and run at 1:1 synchronization with the rest of the components such as CPU and/or other RAM modules which might be of different bus speed.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz should have at least 4 to 5 years old age already. Not exactly fast compared to current technology as back then, Intel's Netburst architecture was considered a failure and Pentium 4 was based on that though.
    Okay... sorry. Actually for some weird reason (not enough sleep maybe), I don't know why I was thinking about 486 and my mind just couldn't compute 486 having a 2.4GHz.

So what I actually meant was 486 got 2.4GHz meh... but of course, my error.

Okay... sorry. Actually for some weird reason (not enough sleep maybe), I don't know why I was thinking about 486 and my mind just couldn't compute 486 having a 2.4GHz.

No worries. The Pentium 4 is as good as using 'em for office work for today's applications.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Not really limiting. However, when the RAM is inserted into the motherboard, unless specifically adjusted by the user, the system will auto configure it to match and run at 1:1 synchronization with the rest of the components such as CPU and/or other RAM modules which might be of different bus speed.
    If I am not wrong, a 5-5-5-15 was the auto-config when I ran it at the particular bus speed and stuff (I must really be getting rusty if I have to use the word "stuff" for configuring comps ) which yeap, followed the CPU and it's bus speed. But I was sure I bought RAM which had better specs than that.

For some strange reason, I'm also thinking the bomb will go off after you set it above 50mph and it drops below that speed after...
    Last edited by wildcat; 23rd February 2010 at 08:53 AM.

If I am not wrong, a 5-5-5-15 was the auto-config when I ran it at the particular bus speed and stuff (I must really be getting rusty if I have to use the word "stuff" for configuring comps ) which yeap, followed the CPU and it's bus speed. But I was sure I bought RAM which had better specs than that.

For some strange reason, I'm also thinking the bomb will go off after you set it above 50mph and it drops below that speed after...
    Actually if you set the RAM at the rated speed, say faster speed, then the ratio will be different. As such, it seemed to be faster on one side while the other seemed to be the bottleneck due to difference in the bus speed.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

If getting better lenses and/or good monitor solves his current issue, then who would need better computer? He has already mentioned why he's getting a new system, perhaps you didn't read thoroughly enough to see it. Below's a quote from him:
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz should have at least 4 to 5 years old age already. Not exactly fast compared to current technology as back then, Intel's Netburst architecture was considered a failure and Pentium 4 was based on that though.

Thank you Yoh & Wildcat for your skills. Some if not all of the minute details are really 'cheem' but at least I hv a good reference point.

Am I right to say that the icore 6 (desktop) is the series I should focus on? I would like for this new system to last me another 4-5yrs in terms of durability & technologically. Only this would substantiate my spending for an upgrade. Else, it would only be a waste of $ for me to invest in a system only to be slightly above my P4 setup.

Am I right to say that if I get RAM at 4GB, it does not mean that it will run at full speed? Unless I 'tell' it to?
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Benji77 View Post
    Thank you Yoh & Wildcat for your skills. Some if not all of the minute details are really 'cheem' but at least I hv a good reference point.

Am I right to say that the icore 6 (desktop) is the series I should focus on? I would like for this new system to last me another 4-5yrs in terms of durability & technologically. Only this would substantiate my spending for an upgrade. Else, it would only be a waste of $ for me to invest in a system only to be slightly above my P4 setup.

Am I right to say that if I get RAM at 4GB, it does not mean that it will run at full speed? Unless I 'tell' it to?
    The upgrade should be significantly faster than your existing Pentium 4 system, not just slightly in terms of performance.

Unless you're certain that you'll be using the same application (eg Photoshop CS4) for the next few years down the road, there's no way to guarantee you that the system will last you that long. Durability wise, you should have seen how long your Pentium 4 2.4GHz has lasted. Technologically wise, no. Its only a matter of months before the processors of today get replaced.

What wildcat and I were discussing was on setting the RAM at its rated speed. Its pretty much technical but just assume that you get the suitable RAM and plug it into your system. Let the system do the configuration for you instead.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

The upgrade should be significantly faster than your existing Pentium 4 system, not just slightly in terms of performance.

What wildcat and I were discussing was on setting the RAM at its rated speed. Its pretty much technical but just assume that you get the suitable RAM and plug it into your system. Let the system do the configuration for you instead.
    How do I ensure that the RAM I buy is suitable for a Mboard? Is this through their specifications like PC 1333, L9 etc? This means I should buy the RAM rated to the maximum of the Mboard right?

I will most likely be using the 32 bit OS, Window 7 or XP. No Vista for me.

If getting better lenses and/or good monitor solves his current issue, then who would need better computer? He has already mentioned why he's getting a new system, perhaps you didn't read thoroughly enough to see it. Below's a quote from him:
    lol.. dint see that haha.. but i did not say getting a better monitor/lens would solve his 'issue'. How much do you expect he will spend on a intel set up? perhaps you too dint read through thoroughly enough to see it but he only has $900 to work with and he needs to at least get ram, casing, mobo, gfx, cpu, hdd, and most probably, PSU, OS, antivirus. i might be wrong again haha but this is what i could gather from the thread...

So... getting a cheap quadcore would definitely trash a dualcore any day in photoshop. gaming is secondary so performance here is not as important lol... am i right? haha... i mean you have to choose how youre gonna spend your hardearned cash, so setting your priorities gives you a clearer position on where you should put your money.

you can check the respective motherboard's website or manual for compatible memory modules. you dont need to buy ram rated at the maximum of the mbed. just make sure its compatible by checking the documentation. mboards normally either accept ddr2 or dd3 modules only, though a few accept both. so you can use this to narrow down your search first. choose the appropriate model you want then check to see if its compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgreg View Post
    lol.. dint see that haha.. but i did not say getting a better monitor/lens would solve his 'issue'. How much do you expect he will spend on a intel set up? perhaps you too dint read through thoroughly enough to see it but he only has $900 to work with and he needs to at least get ram, casing, mobo, gfx, cpu, hdd, and most probably, PSU, OS, antivirus. i might be wrong again haha but this is what i could gather from the thread...

So... getting a cheap quadcore would definitely trash a dualcore any day in photoshop. gaming is secondary so performance here is not as important lol... am i right? haha... i mean you have to choose how youre gonna spend your hardearned cash, so setting your priorities gives you a clearer position on where you should put your money.
    Getting a cheap Quad-Core doesn't mean a definitely win though it would win for most cases in applications that support multi-core. A simple example is E8600 against AMD Athlon II X4 620. E8600 managed to perform the same, else better than AMD Athlon II X4 620 by insignificant figure. Of course this kind of comparison is flawed given the difference in price, but it proves that cheap Quad-Core doesn't mean it will trash a Dual-Core in Photoshop. If ya need a clear comparison, head over to Tomshardware and look up for CPU chart.

And if TS needs to get the whole lot of items that you've mentioned, in particular OS and Anti-Virus, then I guess even AMD set will exceed the budget.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

lol.. dint see that haha.. but i did not say getting a better monitor/lens would solve his 'issue'. How much do you expect he will spend on a intel set up? perhaps you too dint read through thoroughly enough to see it
    Okay point clarified. We'll be objective here and not start a squabble.

you can check the respective motherboard's website or manual for compatible memory modules. you dont need to buy ram rated at the maximum of the mbed. just make sure its compatible by checking the documentation. mboards normally either accept ddr2 or dd3 modules only, though a few accept both. so you can use this to narrow down your search first. choose the appropriate model you want then check to see if its compatible.
    Okay thanks for the tip-off. I would be more keen on DDR3, as this would at least offer me a greater chance of finding replacements in 1-2 yrs time since technology in this field is ever changing. I would like to do this upgrade in such a way that I stay in tune with the changes in 2-3yrs, ensuring that I am able to find 'replacement parts' for worn out/spoilt equipment in the similar time frame. I hope you all understand what I mean.

As these are not mechnical items, their shelf life is very short, each item giving way to pressure from another item, causing massive upheavel necessary to get it to work seamlessly.

How do I ensure that the RAM I buy is suitable for a Mboard? Is this through their specifications like PC 1333, L9 etc? This means I should buy the RAM rated to the maximum of the Mboard right?

I will most likely be using the 32 bit OS, Window 7 or XP. No Vista for me.
    RAM speed should be the same as the bus frequency of the processor or if not, higher.
    The motherboard will auto adjust the speed (if the RAM speed is faster, reduce the speed) so that the RAM will match the required frequency for the processor.

Its advisable to go for 64 bit Windows 7 if your hardware supports it.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

But the 64 Bit Windows 7 is expensive!

But the 64 Bit Windows 7 is expensive!
    Huh? Its the same pricing.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

I must have mis-read the price list then. Will check when I get home.
    What are the key advantages of the 64-Bit?

Getting a cheap Quad-Core doesn't mean a definitely win though it would win for most cases in applications that support multi-core. A simple example is E8600 against AMD Athlon II X4 620. E8600 managed to perform the same, else better than AMD Athlon II X4 620 by insignificant figure. Of course this kind of comparison is flawed given the difference in price, but it proves that cheap Quad-Core doesn't mean it will trash a Dual-Core in Photoshop. If ya need a clear comparison, head over to Tomshardware and look up for CPU chart.

And if TS needs to get the whole lot of items that you've mentioned, in particular OS and Anti-Virus, then I guess even AMD set will exceed the budget.
    duuuh... WIN. thumbs up to you.

TS i hope you get my point though, the athlonx4 is a real steal. hmm.. dont really get what you mean but, if you plan to upgrade ur ram in the future, you have to get 64bit to be able to realise the gains. most ram brands offer lifetime warranty so you dont have to worry about finding replacement parts, but future proofing is always good.

could you tell us what items you need to get? and i really suggest you google tech questions, its a lot faster than waiting for replies in the forum.

You can use more than 4GB of RAM
    Probably the main key also which is why it took so long for people to move up (it's only within the last two years that we really started getting above 4GB of RAM, thus the "sudden" interest in 64-bit OS).

duuuh... WIN. thumbs up to you.
    Its nothing to win about. Just another information sharing to correct things. You provided your share on AMD processor too.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Currently the advantages ain't significant other than the increase in amount of usable memory.

Refer to this site for some explanations on 32 bit vs 64 bit.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12