Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    I see lots of toursist daily as I go to Clarke Quay everyday ..I tell you, with the holiday season going on in Dec and this week... I see sooooo so so so so many DSLR user.. and not young chap.. but older aunties... even grandma type all holding one (not to say they aren't allowed to but few yrs back you seldom see that).. Yday saw a 7-8 yrs old kit with a D5000 while his dad with a D90 too (They from HK as i hear the HK cantonese)..

    and which brand i see most ?????

    CANON !!! (their aggressive ads paid off i guess)

    follow by Nikon, Olympus then Pentax... but seldom Pentax la.. maybe 1 out of 10

    Most ppl carrying DSLR i see is PRC Chinese and Filipino ... angmo probably comes 3rd but angmo I see carry a lot of the older bodies like D200 , 30/40D etc

    its very interesting to see these everyday and able to form some very blurry conclusion on what is using what ... haha..
    Last edited by TsQ; 19th February 2010 at 03:41 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    and your point is you don't feel special anymore? :P
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    and your point is you don't feel special anymore? :P
    haha.. NO LA.. i not those ppl use DSLR cause i want to be special.. actually i take my PnS out more often..

    the point is .. time have change... DLSR like what the manufacturer says is for the masses now.. and its interesting to see a lot of ppl trying very hard to take nice photos ard Singapore River... some bend, some sit, some stand very high ... all making their effort to snap that good photo..

  4. #4

    Talking Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    how bout "a-mah" (grand ma) are they using SLR also in the wheelchair?? and the brand is --> CANON also ??

  5. #5

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Most ppl carrying DSLR i see is PRC Chinese and Filipino ... angmo probably comes 3rd but angmo I see carry a lot of the older bodies like D200 , 30/40D etc
    Sorry, not from Singapore, but what is PRC and angmo ?
    Thx

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by kikihuang View Post
    how bout "a-mah" (grand ma) are they using SLR also in the wheelchair?? and the brand is --> CANON also ??
    nvm la.. maybe canon can use her for their next ad .. haha ?

    seriously Canon ad is effective.. that day I talking about camera to my wife and mentioned "canon" then my son ask "Canon ? Delighting you always that canon ??" ... he only 4 yo

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by hsw21 View Post
    Sorry, not from Singapore, but what is PRC and angmo ?
    Thx
    ops sorry..

    PRC =People's republic of china .. angmo=Caucasian .. angmo is actually quite a racist word but i hv no intention of such.. just a word too commonly use nowadays :P

  8. #8
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    ops sorry..

    PRC =People's republic of china .. angmo=Caucasian .. angmo is actually quite a racist word but i hv no intention of such.. just a word too commonly use nowadays :P
    Haha... if I may add in, 'Ang Moh' simply just describes 'Red hair'.
    There is no derogatory connotation in it at all.
    Many of my Ang Moh associates, even first time acquaintances refer to themselves as 'Ang Moh' during conversations with us.
    It has become such a commonly used word that it is widely accepted in spoken English here in Singapore. And those Ang Moh's living in Singapore have adopted it themselves too.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Haha... if I may add in, 'Ang Moh' simply just describes 'Red hair'.
    There is no derogatory connotation in it at all.
    Many of my Ang Moh associates, even first time acquaintances refer to themselves as 'Ang Moh' during conversations with us.
    It has become such a commonly used word that it is widely accepted in spoken English here in Singapore. And those Ang Moh's living in Singapore have adopted it themselves too.
    true la.. my angmos in my office also OK when we call them that... no ill intention... just a term used and it actually let everyone feels more 'connected' rather..

    botak jones call himself angmo all the time..hahaha

  10. #10

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    nvm la.. maybe canon can use her for their next ad .. haha ?

    seriously Canon ad is effective.. that day I talking about camera to my wife and mentioned "canon" then my son ask "Canon ? Delighting you always that canon ??" ... he only 4 yo
    yup thats totally hit the market.... canon big advantages is MONEY!! money making new camera, new sensor, new ADS, new PHOTOCOPY machine

  11. #11

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    even though DSLRs are pretty common these days, people still give me different look whenever they see my gears.

    and i don't know why
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  12. #12
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    even though DSLRs are pretty common these days, people still give me different look whenever they see my gears.

    and i don't know why
    I think, yrh0413, the main reason is your model is TLK-DSLR + TLK lenses mah...
    (TLK - acronym for Toa Leng Kong... look it up in the latest encyclopedia for DSLR... it's there... )

  13. #13

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Most ppl carrying DSLR i see is PRC Chinese and Filipino ... angmo probably comes 3rd but angmo I see carry a lot of the older bodies like D200 , 30/40D etc
    Is there a reason why angmo carry older bodies ?

  14. #14
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    That ain't nothing, I saw a tribe of African bushmen on a tour here using Leicas among every one of them and with the village leader holding a Hasselblad.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  15. #15
    Member hetfieldpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    www.flickr.com/hetfieldpaul
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    That ain't nothing, I saw a tribe of African bushmen on a tour here using Leicas among every one of them and with the village leader holding a Hasselblad.
    Are you serious then imagine the elderly holding 1d4's with 800mm lenses

  16. #16

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    Are you serious then imagine the elderly holding 1d4's with 800mm lenses
    I think this elderly has to be damn rich and damn strong!
    D200

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by hsw21 View Post
    Is there a reason why angmo carry older bodies ?
    I duuno, i think more angmo are earlier into photography then we all cina beng .. last time when young boy i go holiday, I see more angmo in our tour group uses semi pro camera or SLR.. while our Asian tourist hv mostly that tiny, cute cute little PnS ... that time still uses film ..

    i still remember once in Xi'an my dad say to a british that his camera is good and his replied was a nice and frenly "nowadays you will be surprised how good a small camera like urs can perform"

    hahaha...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Auntie , uncle, sister, nephew, niece all using DSLR now

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    I see lots of toursist daily as I go to Clarke Quay everyday ..I tell you, with the holiday season going on in Dec and this week... I see sooooo so so so so many DSLR user.. and not young chap.. but older aunties... even grandma type all holding one (not to say they aren't allowed to but few yrs back you seldom see that).. Yday saw a 7-8 yrs old kit with a D5000 while his dad with a D90 too (They from HK as i hear the HK cantonese)..

    and which brand i see most ?????

    CANON !!! (their aggressive ads paid off i guess)

    follow by Nikon, Olympus then Pentax... but seldom Pentax la.. maybe 1 out of 10

    Most ppl carrying DSLR i see is PRC Chinese and Filipino ... angmo probably comes 3rd but angmo I see carry a lot of the older bodies like D200 , 30/40D etc

    its very interesting to see these everyday and able to form some very blurry conclusion on what is using what ... haha..
    It is the power of technology. Advancement in technology makes once expensive and unreachable stuff to be cheap and more affordable to the general mass.
    Come visit my blog

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •