Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

  1. #1

    Default Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    hi all,

    just wanna update u guys about this mini dehumidifier, it really works and can take in moisture very rapidly, within a short time frame, the lvl can go down to 40, but the trouble is that if u leave it overnite, it'll go down further to 30.

    my dry box is the very small kind, i think this dehumidifier works better if u r using those bigger type of box probably.

    enjoy!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    The whole idea of providing a controlled environment for your gears is so that they can be stored in a stable preset condition. What good would it do if it fluctuates that much?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    And also the hassle of removing the water from the container

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    use the Olee plug in dehumidifier .. i think $35 for two .. i using it in a cheapo plastic drybox (those they give out free in AHouse) .. and its consistant at 40-45

    once it goes to 55 , i take it out and heat it via the power plug for 12 hrs and use again..

  5. #5

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    use the Olee plug in dehumidifier .. i think $35 for two .. i using it in a cheapo plastic drybox (those they give out free in AHouse) .. and its consistant at 40-45

    once it goes to 55 , i take it out and heat it via the power plug for 12 hrs and use again..
    If it's $35 for 2, then why not invest in a dry cabinet instead? The cost will more than pay for itself in no time. Not to mention peace of mind and less hassle over checking and replacing etc.

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    The whole idea of providing a controlled environment for your gears is so that they can be stored in a stable preset condition. What good would it do if it fluctuates that much?
    so somebody can use it to mummify their cameras and lenses....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    so somebody can use it to mummify their cameras and lenses....
    Put it into a time-capsule, open it in 20 years time and people will go "Wow! Look at that! A working classic! Man! They don't make them like they used to anymore!"......


  8. #8

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivakis View Post
    Put it into a time-capsule, open it in 20 years time and people will go "Wow! Look at that! A working classic! Man! They don't make them like they used to anymore!"......

    I'll be on the lookout for pyramids;

    I will be tomb raider!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivakis View Post
    If it's $35 for 2, then why not invest in a dry cabinet instead? The cost will more than pay for itself in no time. Not to mention peace of mind and less hassle over checking and replacing etc.
    no.. the oleen thing is reusable.. and its for my video and DV tapes.. something that i dont open often.. so its better and cheaper this way ..

    dry box $15 ... Oleen ea only $17.50 .. total $32.50 only.. much cheaper then a dry cabinet (which i also hv for my camera)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    hi all,

    the trouble is that this dehumidifier will keep on absorbing moisture, last nite it went as low as 30, so if i continue to leave it there another nite, i guess it might go even down even further? below required level rite..... hmmm soo this is a concern. i hope my equipment wont spoil man lOL!

    but for bigger dry boxes i guess this dehumidifier will work pretty fine.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Kenny.. u using which type? the one with power plug in and water contain a the bottom? that one cannot... it will suck dry very low...

    even those thirsty hippo also cannot.. it can suck till ard 35 which is too low... 40 is the lowest recommended for cameras and tapes..

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    why don't just get a dry cabinet, so you can sleep peacefully every night
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Agree... for camera equipment i will just get a dry cabinet...

    but for tapes and stuff that u do not access often.. a lock in box with a olee is alternative to save some money


    edit: anyway this is the one i referring and i am using for my sealed box .. : http://olee.com.sg/prod_dehumid_reusablemini.html
    Last edited by TsQ; 19th February 2010 at 02:34 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    Kenny.. u using which type? the one with power plug in and water contain a the bottom? that one cannot... it will suck dry very low...

    even those thirsty hippo also cannot.. it can suck till ard 35 which is too low... 40 is the lowest recommended for cameras and tapes..
    hi! the mini dehumidifier that i'm using is exactly the one that u r using LOL! but for mine, when i put it inside the dry box, within a very short time frame, the humidity level will drop to 40, and if i leave it for a few hrs, it'll drop till 30, usually when this happens i'll open the box LOL coz i heard below 30 is 'dangerous'.

    how did u managed to maintain u lvl at around 45? u also put it inside the dry box thats all rite? hmmm puzzled leh.... mine is like super super strong lol.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Stronger is not necessarily better.. anyway, humidity is only one of the factors for fungus growth. Use your gear often and this will not bother you. Anyway, at 30%, u better not put ur leather and rubber items in there for too long..

  16. #16

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    Agree... for camera equipment i will just get a dry cabinet...

    but for tapes and stuff that u do not access often.. a lock in box with a olee is alternative to save some money


    edit: anyway this is the one i referring and i am using for my sealed box .. : http://olee.com.sg/prod_dehumid_reusablemini.html
    If it's something that's not accessed often, might want to consider just using selica gel.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    I have been using a dry box with the reusable dehumidifier like the Olee for years now and I can say that there should not be problems keeping photographic equipment this way. There seems to be a misconception that the dehumidifier will continuously absorp all traces of water vapour until everything becomes dry, plastics and rubber crack etc etc. This is hilarious because there is only so much silica gel in it, at some point the effectiveness of the silica gel will drop until the next 'recharge'. Moreover, it is unlikely that the dry box will be kept closed indefinitely, sooner or later you will have to open the box to get your camera or lens out.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by obfuscate View Post
    I have been using a dry box with the reusable dehumidifier like the Olee for years now and I can say that there should not be problems keeping photographic equipment this way. There seems to be a misconception that the dehumidifier will continuously absorp all traces of water vapour until everything becomes dry, plastics and rubber crack etc etc. This is hilarious because there is only so much silica gel in it, at some point the effectiveness of the silica gel will drop until the next 'recharge'. Moreover, it is unlikely that the dry box will be kept closed indefinitely, sooner or later you will have to open the box to get your camera or lens out.
    hi, okieee.. i'll c how it goes, coz what happens is that mine is now keep at around 30 which i'm worried that i'll go down even further as it seems that the mini dehumidifier is really thirsty lolx! i'll continue to monitor it first.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    i am using similar dehumidifiers as well. i put it in a ziplock bag, but not sealing it up.

    i managed to maintain around 40-55% and have been doing this trick for 4-5 years.

    initially will involve some trial and error, but once u catch the trick of doing it, hassle is minimal.

    i do have a electronic drycab as well. but its for other stuff like my certs, plant seeds, etc.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  20. #20

    Default Re: Olee mini dehumidifier is very powerful

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    i am using similar dehumidifiers as well. i put it in a ziplock bag, but not sealing it up.

    i managed to maintain around 40-55% and have been doing this trick for 4-5 years.

    initially will involve some trial and error, but once u catch the trick of doing it, hassle is minimal.

    i do have a electronic drycab as well. but its for other stuff like my certs, plant seeds, etc.
    lol i get what u mean, what i'm trying to do now is i didnt seal my dry box completely as in instead on latching the box, i just use something light to press on the cover so that there is very slight gaps. coz of i close up the entire box, the olee dehumidifier is going to rapidly take in moisture and goes down to 30 lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •