Thread: Hi,new member needs help...

Default Hi,new member needs help...

Hi,

Newbie here.

Any insight/advise is appreciated.

I am attending a friend's wedding in 1 month time and I want to know what kind of setup should I use. Currently I have a D90 with 18-105 and a 50 1.8D. I am planning to buy Tamron 17-50VC and/or SB600/900 Speedlight. My roommate told me that 18-105 with SB600/900 is sufficient for the event. Would that mean I don't need the Tamron anymore once I got the speedlight?? Does D90-18-105-SB600/800 combi is sufficient enough?

but if Lets say I buy both Tamron and SB600/900, and I wanted to use the speed of 17-50 and reach of 18-105, when and where on the wedding is the best chance to switch lens and attach the speedlight to maximize the use of each? I am limited to one body only. This might be a nonsense question to some members, Pardon my ignorance....

Thanks and good day to all!!!

Default Re: Hi,new member needs help...

First, welcome to CS. Second, have you tried a search? There are about 2000 "wedding setup" questions, and at least 2 such threads in the last 1-2 days.

short answer: while the larger aperture of the 17-50 may be handy, will you actually need it? How large is the venue? Can you use bounce flash? Can you use a diffuser or lightsphere? There are too many variables; I don't think you need the 2.8 advantage (you could rent if needed).
    Alpha

Welcome to CS
    Take the shot!

Since it is a friend's wedding, I recommend that you practice a lot first, because even with new lenses, what is important getting the right composition and mood during the shoot.

You don't want to wreck a friend's special moment with bad under/over exposed pictures. I hope you are not the only photographer for the day. If you are, getting a spare body would be also a good idea *in case* anything happens on that day causing your camera to become undone.

HTH.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Quote Originally Posted by ronoele View Post
    Hi,

Newbie here.

I am attending a friend's wedding in 1 month time and I want to know what kind of setup should I use. Currently I have a D90 with 18-105 and a 50 1.8D. I am planning to buy Tamron 17-50VC and/or SB600/900 Speedlight. My roommate told me that 18-105 with SB600/900 is sufficient for the event. Would that mean I don't need the Tamron anymore once I got the speedlight?? Does D90-18-105-SB600/800 combi is sufficient enough?

but if Lets say I buy both Tamron and SB600/900, and I wanted to use the speed of 17-50 and reach of 18-105, when and where on the wedding is the best chance to switch lens and attach the speedlight to maximize the use of each? I am limited to one body only. This might be a nonsense question to some members, Pardon my ignorance....

prob need more information bro e.g. is it a church wedding/wedding dinner? also what is the aperture for both lenses?

with a flash and iso 1000 (which i am sure d90 can support), max aperture i would typically shoot is 5.6. any wider, you may have out-of-focus pictures esp group pics at a considerable distance.

be mindful of distance you are shooting 18-105 cos your flash may be out of range even though your lens is within.

last but not least, i am an advocator of try-before-you-buy that is go rent the lens! why waste money on something not tried and tested which may end up as a white elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    First, welcome to CS. Second, have you tried a search? There are about 2000 "wedding setup" questions, and at least 2 such threads in the last 1-2 days.

short answer: while the larger aperture of the 17-50 may be handy, will you actually need it? How large is the venue? Can you use bounce flash? Can you use a diffuser or lightsphere? There are too many variables; I don't think you need the 2.8 advantage (you could rent if needed).
    Hi Rashkae,

Yes,I've tried searching for same threads but since I am limited, I wanted to focus this thread on what setup currently I have and on what I i know I can acquire...

Regarding your reply, well, It is a church wedding (around 2-3pm); then the reception will be held in a hotel. So if a 2.8 advantage is not that critical,can I rely on 18-105 + Speedlight all the way?
    thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Since it is a friend's wedding, I recommend that you practice a lot first, because even with new lenses, what is important getting the right composition and mood during the shoot.

You don't want to wreck a friend's special moment with bad under/over exposed pictures. I hope you are not the only photographer for the day. If you are, getting a spare body would be also a good idea *in case* anything happens on that day causing your camera to become undone.

HTH.
    Hi Dingaroo,

Luckily you're right, I am not the only photographer of the day.hehehe..
    And you're right again that I need to prectice soon that's why I need to finalize my setup as early as now.. :-)

cheers!!!

Hi,

Newbie here.

Welcome to CS~

First thing foremost, understand ur cam inside! And from my experience that fast lens is still that essential in nailing the shots that matter in trickly/lowlight conditions..

I wil say rent the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 for abt under $40 per day??? And get anyone of the speedlight depending on ur budget and needs (though i will say SB900 is prety much the obvious choice).

When and where do u change lens? this is simply too hard to advise as each shooting syle is diff and we won't be able to know what kind of wedding (indoor/oudoors), space restrictions,lighting conditions, crowd turnout etc.. But u can anticipate..

If i will u, i will get a fast prime (be it in 50mmf1.4 or 1.8), use it as a short portrait tele on ur D90 and swap accordingly with 17-55 (or Tammy 17-50 f2.8 should u decide to get it)

Read up on bascis and flash photography~ It will helps alot a long way...

HTH bro
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Hi Dingaroo,

And you're right again that I need to prectice soon that's why I need to finalize my setup as early as now.. :-)

cheers!!!
    Haha. All the best. Err.. hope you are not gatecrashing other people's weddings also, to practise

hi welcome to cs, Your roommate is right, the most important item in your setup is an external flash. if you have the spare cash, the 17-50 is a good buy and able to get you some creative bokeh shots if you know how to use. Still, Get a flash asap and start practicing it and reading up, flash photography is a whole new subject. I will suggest you to diy or buy an external larger bounce card for your flash, that should do the job.

one more thing, communicate with the other photographer in the wedding, assuming if he is the pro and main photographer, you should try to give way and let him have the privilege to choose the angle first.

have fun

Hi,

Newbie here.

For your situation, i would think your friend has given u a good advice. Just buy a speedlight. Spend some time reading and practicing how to use it.

My thoughts about your next paragraph is that it's not that easy to find a time to change lens, even more so if u are the main one and you are restricted to one camera body. How about renting some equipment? It'll make your life easier.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Hi, I am also new in this forum, after reading your problem I would like to share with you my past experiences. Yours present equipments are fine. You still have one 50mm f1.8 lense. All you need is a external flash. Try to use the 50mm f1.8 lense. You can use your kit-lense too, the only thing is that your flash has to work harder and use-up lots of battery power.
    More than 10 years ago during film photography, I use to shoot wedding for money. What I use is the metz 45 cl4 flash. This flash has a secondary reflector flash.
    I use the secondary reflector flash directly on the main subject and the main flash bounce back from the ceilling to brighten and cover shadow. Before you take any picture, look at the surrounding, the wall and other unwanted items near the subject.
    Hopefully you can understand the method that I use. Good Luck.

Hi All,

Your advises are appreciated. And based on what I have read from most of your replys... FLASH is really a must for this kind of event.. So, now I am wondering w/c speedlight best suit my need? SB600 or SB900? spec wise, ofcourse SB900 hands down, but will I miss some needed feautures of 900 when I settle for 600? I am planning to buy next week..Also, Pls advice on other needed accessories such as diffuser,bounce card etc...

so far i've only had the chance to help my friend to shoot a wedding as 2nd photog. I used SB600 with a DIY bounce card and I liked the effect.
    I DIY-ed a bounced card using an expired gold credit card and some elastic bands

Again, it depends on the environment (is the ceiling very high, etc) as well.
    There are many many flash accessories out there. Unless someone has actually used them all, it would be hard to form a learned conclusion based on experience
    Exploring! :)

Hi,

Currently undecided w/c flash to buy...heard of Nissin Di866. Is it good enough? One review says its between SB-600 and SB900 for the price of SB600?? any advice??
    Thanks...

if you are NOT the main photographer, go there and have fun. any lens will do. its about making that D90 in your hands work for you.
    if you are the main photographer, you are in deep trouble.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Blog Entries

Hi Dingaroo,

cheers!!!
    Since you are not the official photographer, I would really suggest that you do not go there with a flash and start shooting away. You will affect the official photographer's shots.

Just go there with a Tamy 17-50/2.8, bump up the ISO to 1600 and shoot. I would also recommend that you rent a 70-200/2.8 VR and shoot from further away.

Blog Entries

Hi All,

Your advises are appreciated. And based on what I have read from most of your replys... FLASH is really a must for this kind of event.. So, now I am wondering w/c speedlight best suit my need? SB600 or SB900? spec wise, ofcourse SB900 hands down, but will I miss some needed feautures of 900 when I settle for 600? I am planning to buy next week..Also, Pls advice on other needed accessories such as diffuser,bounce card etc...
    Flash is a must if you are the main photographer.

Do not go there and start flashing everyone there. Let the main photographer do his/her job.

Smile Re: Hi,new member needs help...

great tips!