Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Thread: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    7

    Default Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Can tian ya filters fit into cokin holders cause i read some of the threads here, some of the CSers said they used that combination, but when i went to Cathay Photo in the afternoon, i was told a by the lady there that the Tian Ya filters could not fit with the Cokin holders. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    yes, it fits Cokin-P system but not on their Z or X-pro
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  3. #3
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Cokin has different systems... get the P ones. I personally have TianYa filters on Cokin holders. TianYa is also limited in their choices of filters as compared to Cokin.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    cokin p system works with tianya. for sure.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Thanks guys, erm btw what is the diff between P type Z type X pro? Any more other types?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Is the Cokin holder better than the Tianya holder? I was thinking of getting the whole Tainya kit.

  7. #7
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Just that it's a real pity that I can't get Cokin Z series filter holder for the 4x6 longer filter. The Z series no more available in Singapore.
    These are so much more stable than my Tianya holder, and correct me if I am wrong, also much more stable than the Cokin P series holders.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by nuttyng View Post
    Thanks guys, erm btw what is the diff between P type Z type X pro? Any more other types?
    http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/main.htm

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by nuttyng View Post
    Thanks guys, erm btw what is the diff between P type Z type X pro? Any more other types?
    http://www.cokin.fr/ico15-A.html - the difference is the diameter of the lens you need to attach the holder to. For larger diameter lens you need a bigger piece of filter.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    Is the Cokin holder better than the Tianya holder? I was thinking of getting the whole Tainya kit.
    in my opinion, yes.

    and there is a UWA option.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Just that it's a real pity that I can't get Cokin Z series filter holder for the 4x6 longer filter. The Z series no more available in Singapore.
    These are so much more stable than my Tianya holder, and correct me if I am wrong, also much more stable than the Cokin P series holders.
    What's the problem with Tanya holder? Care to enlighten me?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    What's the problem with Tanya holder? Care to enlighten me?
    I've never used the Cokin ones...

    But with my Tian Ya filter, its always been a struggle to remove the square filters from the holders, and the holders from the adapter ring.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    in my opinion, yes.

    and there is a UWA option.
    You mean the X-pro? Yea makes sense if you wanna get scenic shots.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    I've never used the Cokin ones...

    But with my Tian Ya filter, its always been a struggle to remove the square filters from the holders, and the holders from the adapter ring.
    Oh dear .. lucky I didnt buy yet. Was thinking of saving some money with the tanya holder to pay for the cokin filters. How about the tanya filters, are they on par or are the cokin ones better? Scratches?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    Oh dear .. lucky I didnt buy yet. Was thinking of saving some money with the tanya holder to pay for the cokin filters. How about the tanya filters, are they on par or are the cokin ones better? Scratches?
    Easy to scratch, but they work very well for me, not much of a colour cast issue, which is easy to correct in post process anyway. Also, because of the circumstances where you use the filters, you're not very likely to be touching either side of it anyway... So the only thing that's usually causing scratches to them is the holder itself. Those are at the sides so they wont affect your photo anyhow.
    Last edited by sabee; 19th February 2010 at 02:37 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    What's the problem with Tanya holder? Care to enlighten me?
    phazed1, I can only share with you my experience with my Tianya holder and my experience with the Cokin Z pro series filter holders. The Z pro series is SOLID. heavier and sits firmly on a much wider ring adapter to the lens. In addition, there are two little knobs on the bottom that you can push in to 'lock' the holder in place and prevent the filters from slipping.
    The whole contraption rings of solidly constructed class!
    Tianya, though perfectly usuable, is still more flimsy and cannot use the longer 4x6 filters Cokin is so famous for.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Thank you Masters Sabee and Limhow and Night86mare ... I am enlightened now. Limited resources, didn't want to make a regrettable investment. Think I will try the Tainya filters with bluetack and then save up for the biggest holder that Cokin has (future proof) and go from there.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    Thank you Masters Sabee and Limhow and Night86mare ... I am enlightened now. Limited resources, didn't want to make a regrettable investment. Think I will try the Tainya filters with bluetack and then save up for the biggest holder that Cokin has (future proof) and go from there.
    my suggestion is to use cokin filter holder, and tianya filters.

    cokin filters have horrible cast.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    Just curious, as i'm using a 18-105 lens from nikon, is it advisable if i go for cokin P or X-pro? And if its X-pro from what i assume from the previous posts i'm unable to use tian ya filters, so if thats the case, what are the next best alternatives?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Cokin holder + Tian Ya filters

    anything larger than P will do fine for dslr photography, really.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •