Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting aside the name and title - Critique This

Blog Entries

Default Re: Putting aside the name and title - Critique This

yes indeed...... but Critique allows only 1 image per week...

as part of a story..... the oof face was not an issue for me as the focus was (to me) on the story and its content ...

now cracking my head on the next 'Critique This' subject....... which stand alone image hmmmmm.... ?
    Last edited by ed9119; 24th February 2010 at 08:51 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    yes indeed...... but Critique allows only 1 image per week...

as part of a story..... the oof face was not an issue for me as the focus was (to me) on the story and its content ...
    do you know where to find the whole series?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    do you know where to find the whole series?
    not complete yet...... its currently made up of less than a handful of images.... but here's another one from Nguyen which I've piggybacked onto my CS Gallery acct (the supervising Mod might delete it soon as I'm not supposed to add a seperate image in a Critique thread)

Nguyen's Other Image
    Last edited by ed9119; 25th February 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Walkeast

well...that shows what little I know of photography

i think a photograph in a series, is very different from a photograph taken to stand alone

do you get what i mean?
    However, I have to agree with night86mare, that a photograph shown in a context of series will present the story differently to a stand-alone pic.

still an ugly photo...but the linked photo...that one tells the story better (the coal thing).
    おれのflickrださ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    still an ugly photo...but the linked photo...that one tells the story better (the coal thing).
    Ahhh!! I like and respect the honesty !! .... stories are not told only with 'conventionally' composed pics .... both seem to represent different perspectives of the same story, no?

Just me only.... I find the first image telling 'more' by virtue of it having more environmental details
    Last edited by ed9119; 24th February 2010 at 11:20 PM.
    Walkeast

What does the TS think of the picture? Can't post without giving some of your own input!

Blog Entries

I like the raw up-front in-your-face attitude of this image..... it speaks to me in quite a few ways (the tossed hair, the dirt, the state of undress, the gritty floor and lockers and especially that filthy patchy (uuugghhh) underwear he has on.... so many more little things)

The subject's economic situation looks tough ..... even grim.

From a technical perspective , I just wished that the face was a little more in focus.... it hurts the image but imho not fatal (altho it sort of killed that intense stare). But its execution (most likely with a wide at 28 or wider) ..... was superb IMHO because Nguyen seemed to have managed the spaces extremely well ..... i mean, if you dissect it..... its info everywhere with nothing irrelevant or distracting in it

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by ed9119; 25th February 2010 at 12:10 AM.
    Walkeast

Thanks for sharing

both seem to represent different perspectives of the same story, no?

Just me only.... I find the first image telling 'more' by virtue of it having more environmental details
    it does....but as viewers go (me )the 2nd photo actually makes me curious, which is one of the ingredients that i think makes a good photo: the ability to evoke that curiosity. i like staring at it and wonder, what the heck is it. why like dat de? where is it? what the hell is that shiny specks....all these...very interesting.

From a technical perspective , I just wished that the face was a little more in focus.... it hurts the image but imho not fatal (altho it sort of killed that intense stare). But its execution (most likely with a wide at 28 or wider) ..... was superb IMHO because Nguyen seemed to have managed the spaces extremely well ..... i mean, if you dissect it..... its info everywhere with nothing irrelevant or distracting in it
    speaking of technicality...i totally not qualified. but again, speaking as a viewer, that oof face makes me wanna throw up. on that basis alone, i say that foto ugly lor. hmmm....mayb that's y i find picasso's drawings super ugly....but then again, ppl still pay millions to own it....different strokes for different folks i guess...
    Last edited by shiruikage; 25th February 2010 at 12:45 AM.
    おれのflickrださ

first thought...

look to me a soldier trying to squeeze in a quick but unauthorized smoking break,
    and vigilantly (from the oof face) looking out to prevent getting caught in the act.

Blog Entries

Oh ok. I got the coal miner part right.

Thanks for the effort ed. I like this kind of critiques. Very helpful to challenge our thinkings and approach to different kinds of photography.

Certainly, we don't have any coal mines for us to shoot here, even the " faved " subject of samsui women already in extinct, given the fact that due to safety regulations, no construction site or of any such are readily open to public photography unless one is being commissioned and with a lot of paper procedure before being allowed into the site.

Fortunately, at least here we don't have that section 44 as do in UK.

Do agreed that a photo series or essay is much different from a single image.

Personally, I felt that this level of photo-crit is way too high / advance / complicated for any beginners to benefit and understand in full.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 25th February 2010 at 03:16 AM.

Blog Entries

no lah its not ....... different people young or older ..... general public or experts will view it in their own respective context
    Walkeast

i think a photograph in a series, is very different from a photograph taken to stand alone

do you get what i mean?
    As usual, I find myself in agreement with you

There are so many frustrating variables in the creation and appreciation of an image (or any art for that matter) that it's usually a very open thing. Why an image was created, whether it was part of a sequence, it's intended audience, how it is presented, are just some of the multitude of factors that affect how an image is received.

For instance, you would get a different set of responses to an image if it was presented as a theoretical critique exercise (as it has here), vs if it was hanging on a gallery wall, vs if it was hanging in someone's living room, vs if it was in a journalistic book, vs if it was in an art book, etc.

A good exercise it has been, and thoroughly enjoyable.
    Only thing is still awaiting some words from the photographer himself.
    Looking forward to the next photo C&C, ed9119.

....... different people young or older ..... general public or experts will view it in their own respective context

Perfect restoration.....
    Building relationships with your audiences
    and showing your perceptions in various
    aspect of your work are what
    a photographer's life is all about.

Certainly has no doubt about the skill and quality of this Vietnamese photographer.

Two classic that comes to mind about Vietnam are /were ....

* Napalm bomb dropped into a village, some children were running for their lifes. One naked girl was seen crying in pain and agony.

* A south vietnam army officer pointing a pistol to the temple of a suspected vc.

Perfect example of quality unposed and untitled pictures.

This is an interesting pic to me. My eyes are naturally draw towards the body as the face is OOF. This emasculated body presents a realism of hardship endured through the works of the photographer's angle of perspective and further enhanced by OOF. I said well done ! However, I also sense he is the early bird in the bath room, ahead of the many others ( deduced from the multiples locked lockers and waiting for someone to pass him a soap. His posture seemed like ready to catch it pose. He's enjoying his straw and seemed all ready and eager to leave. This pic looks very unique to me. Singularity in midst of plurality, joy and satisfaction portrayed among hardship.
    The composition is equally great ! The body is nicely placed; one third rule with the face as diagonal lead. Who is the photographer anyway ? He's great !
    Last edited by Old Boy; 27th February 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Who is the photographer anyway ? .....:
    read above.... details of photog
    Walkeast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast