Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: driving up to KL...

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    take a luxury VIP coach..... very comfortable, some are installed with massage chairs and come with F&B
    Hey Ed!

    Any pretty stewardesses on this bus?

    Hong Sien

  2. #22

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
    I wonder some of you who make the unnessary bad comments about driving up to KL have ever been there or just rely on the media or hear say for knowledge. I had a friend who like to say lots of bad stuffs about Malaysia but I found out he has never left Singapore for this entire lifetime.

    For a start, you may consider driving up north because it is a pleasant drive compared to driving on Singapore expressway. I attended meeting once in a while in KL and I preferred driving than taking plane.
    I'm a KL resident that runs around KL-SG with some frequency.
    I personally know ppl who got mugged, harassed and cheated on highways and taxis.
    Have to admit the media does exaggerate sometimes but can't deny crime is getting pretty bad here.

  3. #23

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    in the 90's I was up and down the east and west coast of MY mostly on recreation and attending conferences - my mode of preferred travel was by car. We used to go up in a convoy of cars, the experiences of driving on the old trunk roads as well as the highways was simply exhilarating...overtime you learned the fine points of how to travel by convoy (ie. keeping all the cars together and within sight, especially when we enter towns/cities where the traffic volume picks up etc. etc.)

    "Racing" down the curving roads of Genting Highlands and Cameron highlands (on different trips), for eg. using the gears to control the speeds (only lightly using the brakes) were memorable high points of such trips.

    In the 90's the east coast trunk roads were uncluttered, unlike now I was told, and we were able to go at very high speed, hitting the curves at ~80kmph on 3rd gears...etc...it was simply enjoyable.

    However, as good advise, not everyone should do this, unless you've had some preparation and experience. I think a lot of things have changed in MY since then, and I myself wouldn't try these there again.

    Oops, apologies for the ramblings...but it sure brought back a lot of good memories.
    Last edited by micah4; 19th February 2010 at 02:40 PM.

  4. #24
    Member hetfieldpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    www.flickr.com/hetfieldpaul
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by micah4 View Post
    thanks guys for the inputs...

    my cousin living in KL itself also advised against driving up in an SG plated car.

    so...train or coach it is!
    You could try coach services such as Grassland travel

  5. #25

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    I've been driving, flying, taking buses to & from KL almost weekly for the past 2 years. No problems @ all.

    It's about RM60+/- one way for toll charges to KL city if u drive. If u enjoy driving etc then good to do it.

    Otherwise, just visit Golden Mile complex along Beach rd & they have buses leaving almost hourly for just S$30+/- @ 5hrs/trip. Try to find those that stop @ Times Square or Sentral for better security as Pudu can be a messy area with tout taxis.

    And yes, 50% of the taxis don't turn on the meters or sometimes refuse the destination especially when they know that you are a foreigner but you can bargain before boarding.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

  6. #26

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by NineEleven View Post
    I've been driving, flying, taking buses to & from KL almost weekly for the past 2 years. No problems @ all.

    It's about RM60+/- one way for toll charges to KL city if u drive. If u enjoy driving etc then good to do it.

    Otherwise, just visit Golden Mile complex along Beach rd & they have buses leaving almost hourly for just S$30+/- @ 5hrs/trip. Try to find those that stop @ Times Square or Sentral for better security as Pudu can be a messy area with tout taxis.

    And yes, 50% of the taxis don't turn on the meters or sometimes refuse the destination especially when they know that you are a foreigner but you can bargain before boarding.
    @NineEleven, very much appreciate the details - thanks so much for sharing - and everyone too who have contributed what they know here.

  7. #27
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    When my kids were younger I used to drive up to KL, I hated it... all of them will sleep and even my wife sometimes. But, I always start off my journey right after morning prayers and reached KL about noon time for check-in into the hotels. I hate the long drive back as well... now with so many coaches plying this route I have taken this option for past several years now, I get to chit-chat with my wife catch a short nap watch a movie if I liked etc...

    Going up to KL again 2nd week March but taking AirAsia bcos they had an offer which cost about the same as coach fares recently, booked that in Dec2009 and AirAsia even have a SkyBus to KL Sentral at LCCT.

    So many better option than driving, oh one more thing, when I used to drive even when I stayed at good hotels, I still have this uneasy feeling about whether my car is safe from theft. This plus the above factors make me not want to drive to KL anymore, oh and no speeding tickets to worry about too.

    ../azul123

  8. #28

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    just use common sense and you will be safe. e.g. don't be stupid and park your car in a dark alley at night. and this nonsense about sg plate cars being targets is just that - nonsense. criminals don't care what nationality you are. they want your money not your ic.

    driving is fine. just make sure you have enough sleep. and stop every 2 hours to rest and stretch (please choose the larger, crowded rest stops, not the small secluded ones... follow the big busses) driving offers the flexibility of moving around and also you can pick and choose when you want to leave and arrive. if you take a coach, take a day time one. too many horror stories about night time coach crashing from sleepy drivers.

    taxis in kl are scary to me (and i am a malaysian who grew up in kl!) i always prefer driving myself around.

  9. #29

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    I usually make the trip up North at least once a year, for short family trips visiting relatives in KL. Though I hate the driving part 'cos it makes me edgy, i have never experienced muggings nor theft. I consider myself lucky esp. when my car doesnt even have an alarm system.

    the thing i hate the most about the drive - jams caused by road works and accidents and most importantly, the long queue to clear Spore immigration and customs when you come back.

    the best thing about driving to kl - not having to depend on public transport when moving around in kl.

  10. #30
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by rijac View Post
    just use common sense and you will be safe. e.g. don't be stupid and park your car in a dark alley at night. and this nonsense about sg plate cars being targets is just that - nonsense. criminals don't care what nationality you are. they want your money not your ic.
    I think you are speaking without full knowledge, Singapore cars are easy target, they even have targets for the type of cars which could easily be re-exported.

    ../azul123

  11. #31
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by gossipmonger View Post
    I usually make the trip up North at least once a year, for short family trips visiting relatives in KL. Though I hate the driving part 'cos it makes me edgy, i have never experienced muggings nor theft. I consider myself lucky esp. when my car doesnt even have an alarm system.

    the thing i hate the most about the drive - jams caused by road works and accidents and most importantly, the long queue to clear Spore immigration and customs when you come back.

    the best thing about driving to kl - not having to depend on public transport when moving around in kl.
    Moving about in KL is best with local cabs, when accidents happen say you nicked some local's car or vice-versa there is a lot of trouble to go through, insurance claim is a big hassle. When you drive is KL unless you are sure of the directions you tend to be on look out for where the exits are or the filtering turns etc.. etc.. so it is not the best thing to do in my opinion.

    ../azul123

  12. #32
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Here's another option getting around in KL.

    KL Transit Map

    ../azul123

  13. #33

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Here's another option getting around in KL.

    KL Transit Map

    ../azul123
    Public transport in MY is a big freaking joke. Trains and buses generally don't run on time (ever waited 1 hour without explanation? I have) and the stations are located in really weird and dangerous places.

  14. #34
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Public transport in MY is a big freaking joke. Trains and buses generally don't run on time (ever waited 1 hour without explanation? I have) and the stations are located in really weird and dangerous places.
    I won't disagree with you on that.

    For me, I always travel near Bukit Bintang, KLCC so not too bad lah.

    ../azul123

  15. #35

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    I think you are speaking without full knowledge, Singapore cars are easy target, they even have targets for the type of cars which could easily be re-exported.

    ../azul123


    i am 40 years old. 30 of those years were spent in malaysia, my home. so i think i have some knowledge about what goes on there. there is a lot of misconception. and you are making sweeping statements. a mercedes is a mercedes. singapore plate, kl plate, thai plate doesn't matter. it is still a mercedes. car thieves in malaysia even steal proton saga. my brother in laws lexus was stolen a few years ago. i can assure you it was not a sg plate and it was in a secure condominium carpark. i drive up and down every few months in my sg plate car and never had any problems for the last 9 years. you, my friend, are the one without full knowledge.
    Last edited by rijac; 20th February 2010 at 03:19 PM.

  16. #36
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by rijac View Post
    i am 40 years old. 30 of those years were spent in malaysia, my home. so i think i have some knowledge about what goes on there. there is a lot of misconception. and you are making sweeping statements. a mercedes is a mercedes. singapore plate, kl plate, thai plate doesn't matter. it is still a mercedes. car thieves in malaysia even steal proton saga. my brother in laws lexus was stolen a few years ago. i can assure you it was not a sg plate and it was in a secure condominium carpark. i drive up and down every few months in my sg plate car and never had any problems for the last 9 years. you, my friend, are the one without full knowledge.
    You are still younger and I am not making sweeping statements don't believe me check with police here and Malaysian.

    Proton is most popular bcos it blends like most Malaysian cars. Too bad, you feel offended but it is fact.

    ../azul123

  17. #37
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Public transport in MY is a big freaking joke. Trains and buses generally don't run on time (ever waited 1 hour without explanation? I have) and the stations are located in really weird and dangerous places.
    Just wanted to share my whacky experience of Public Transportation in KL.

    KL has a different definition of what constitutes an "interchange" station.

    One time I was rushing to get somewhere and needed to change to another train route on the KL subway. I had to leave the 1st station, ask for directions (from some kind local Malaysians) and walk over 1 km!!! to another obscure station just to get onto another train route!

    In any other country (e.g. UK), an "interchange" station means that the stations are connected! Not so in KL.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  18. #38

    Default Re: driving up to KL...

    Hi folks,

    when I mentioned about my cousin (in KL) advising about SG plate cars, really she was referring to robbery more than car thefts.

    Anyway this thread have been very fruitful and have served its purpose hence I'll be closing the thread.

    Once again, thanks to all who have shared here, they are very useful information, I believe not only for myself but for everyone who may be planning some trip/s up to MY in the near future.

    ...and to those who are going up by car, or coach or train, have a good trip!


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •