Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Man stole after casino losses

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,117

    Default Man stole after casino losses

    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_491285.html

    AN INDONESIAN man who lost all his money at the Resorts World Sentosa casino stole a mobile phone from an undergraduate at Changi Airport.

    Paulus Djohar, 49, unemployed, was jailed for four weeks on Wednesday after pleading guilty to stealing a $500 phone from Ms Lim Tse Min at Terminal 1 on Tuesday.

    A court heard that he came here from Malaysia last Tuesday with the intention of patronising the newly-opened casino at RWS. As he lost all his money gambling at the casino on Monday, the second day of its opening, he decided to steal from passengers at Changi Airport.

    Early on Tuesday morning, Djohar was at the airport when he approached Ms Lim, who was with a group sending a friend off.

    One of them in the group saw his suspicious movements and alerted Ms Lim, who discovered the phone gone from the side pocket of her backpack. She and the witness confronted Djohar.

    Djohar, who said he regretted what he had done, could have been jailed for up to three years and/or fined.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    first victim...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    thats fast..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    its just a glimpse of what is more to come.... why dont they just let everyone win

  5. #5
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    Quote Originally Posted by pessimisticcynic View Post
    its just a glimpse of what is more to come.... why dont they just let everyone win
    if everyone win...then casino will close down real soon...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    The Omen.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    the social ills of having casinos in our midst. Only one to blame for allowing this in the first place?

    Quote Originally Posted by kruger View Post
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_491285.html

    AN INDONESIAN man who lost all his money at the Resorts World Sentosa casino stole a mobile phone from an undergraduate at Changi Airport.

    Paulus Djohar, 49, unemployed, was jailed for four weeks on Wednesday after pleading guilty to stealing a $500 phone from Ms Lim Tse Min at Terminal 1 on Tuesday.

    A court heard that he came here from Malaysia last Tuesday with the intention of patronising the newly-opened casino at RWS. As he lost all his money gambling at the casino on Monday, the second day of its opening, he decided to steal from passengers at Changi Airport.

    Early on Tuesday morning, Djohar was at the airport when he approached Ms Lim, who was with a group sending a friend off.

    One of them in the group saw his suspicious movements and alerted Ms Lim, who discovered the phone gone from the side pocket of her backpack. She and the witness confronted Djohar.

    Djohar, who said he regretted what he had done, could have been jailed for up to three years and/or fined.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    hmmm....less than a week to record the first victim...
    おれのflickrださ

  9. #9

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    Well two mongolians were caught for using other passports to try to get into the casino. So.. more than one victim.

    And of course there are more victims who don't resort to crime..

  10. #10
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    will there be unreported cases? or the press told not to report?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    Don't worry people and don't get too excited over one case, you will get to see many more occurances.

  12. #12
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    i wonder if the govt has backup plans, should all the measures they have taken so far fail to keep social problem resulting from the gambling to min. or acceptable level.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  13. #13
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i wonder if the govt has backup plans, should all the measures they have taken so far fail to keep social problem resulting from the gambling to min. or acceptable level.
    Well, I believe our Government has come to the PONR (Pont Of No Return), with all the efforts and investments put into the two IR's.
    It's, put bluntly, do or die now.
    My only concern has always been, and as it is right now, whether we have sufficient manpower in our Home Team and the respective law enforcement departments to enforce order.

  14. #14
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    people steal for many reasons other than casino.
    yes, but from now on, more people may rob or steal for gambling. that is our concern.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    I think having a casino does encourages crime, full research paper here, and that problem gamblers engage in illegal activities to acquire more money. For every dollar gambling would bring in, three more dollars are spent on increased social costs for criminal justice and social welfare.

    Thanks for helping the economy to grow, bringing in more jobs for the locals and increasing the tourist numbers. It's a terrific and well formulated strategem.
    Last edited by eyes; 18th February 2010 at 03:31 AM.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    You guys make it sound like SG is the only country with a casino :P

  17. #17

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    Never felt unsafe in Genting Highlands or even walking the dark alleys of Las Vegas at night.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    Genting casino didn't ruin Malaysians, so why worry about one here?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  19. #19
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    if it is true like all u guys had mentioned, that the crime rate will not increase with the opening of the 2 casino, why than, did the govt invested $$ effort to set up the so call safety nets?

    besides, how to compare malaysia with singapore? singapore is so much smaller than malaysia and living std is much higher here. further more, the efficiency of the law enforcement agency over there is.....

    while i accept the fact that singapore need the casino to make $$, but there is no denying the problem it brings r real.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Man stole after casino losses

    Why Earl Grinols et al is being published in a prestigious journal while some are not?

    Is it a coincidence that Genting is 1900m above sea level, casinos in the USA are concentrated in Las Vegas (Mojave Desert) and China's gaming businesses is in Macau and not central Beijing or Shanghai?

    What does that say?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •