Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

  1. #1

    Default Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Hi all, i am a complete newbie to photography and looking for recommendations for high end prosumer cameras. Basically I will taking photos of architecture, landscapes, cars/bikes/planes, zoo. I am looking for high res photos so I can use/edit them in my design works.

    My budget is around $1k though if possible would like to keep it lower since I am a student now.

    Also my friends suggest its better to get a entry level SLR since the photo will be much clearer then non SLRs. I did some readings and i think the higher end compact ones suits me more than SLR. But I am open to opinions so keep them coming

    Having a hard time deciding between Nikon CoolPix P90, Panasonic FZ38, Panasonic Lumix X3, Canon G11.

    Many thanks in advance

    *Updates: I have gotten my camera, Canon 500D. Thanks for all the replies!
    Last edited by Rainez; 20th February 2010 at 07:26 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Canon G11
    Shooting today anyone?

  3. #3
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Welcome to CS With your wide range of subjects, go for a DSLR. Read up on reviews of the particular DSLR you are interesrted in. Go to the shops & have a feel & ask questions. Then decide
    Take the shot!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    I once thought like that, being a freelance designer myself. But i’ve tested different cameras and concluded even the cheapest DSLR with kit lens will handily trounce any of the above models you have listed in pure image quality.

    As long as space isn’t an issue with you, go DSLR.

    If space is.. and you still want Image Quality.. Tough. You’ll have to go Micro 4/3, which are the Olympus PENs and Panasonic GF1. But you’ll need to save more for them

    Welcome to CS
    5D3|5D2| XE-1|R3A| flickr | shane.design.photo

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainez View Post
    Hi all, i am a complete newbie to photography and looking for recommendations for high end prosumer cameras. Basically I will taking photos of architecture, landscapes, cars/bikes/planes, zoo. I am looking for high res photos so I can use/edit them in my design works.

    My budget is around $1k though if possible would like to keep it lower since I am a student now.

    Also my friends suggest its better to get a entry level SLR since the photo will be much clearer then non SLRs. I did some readings and i think the higher end compact ones suits me more than SLR. But I am open to opinions so keep them coming

    Having a hard time deciding between Nikon CoolPix P90, Panasonic FZ38, Panasonic Lumix X3, Canon G11.

    Many thanks in advance
    dslr tend to make you spend further, here's an article written by fellow cser regarding pros and cons of prosumer vs dslr:

    prosumershttp://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282608

    i can see you've quite made up your mind on prosumer, you might want to check other prosumers like fujifilm, read somewhere they make some models with bigger sensors

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainez View Post
    Hi all, i am a complete newbie to photography and looking for recommendations for high end prosumer cameras. Basically I will taking photos of architecture, landscapes, cars/bikes/planes, zoo. I am looking for high res photos so I can use/edit them in my design works.

    My budget is around $1k though if possible would like to keep it lower since I am a student now.

    Also my friends suggest its better to get a entry level SLR since the photo will be much clearer then non SLRs. I did some readings and i think the higher end compact ones suits me more than SLR. But I am open to opinions so keep them coming

    Having a hard time deciding between Nikon CoolPix P90, Panasonic FZ38, Panasonic Lumix X3, Canon G11.

    Many thanks in advance
    sad to say, your criteria isn't specific enough to help us narrow down a class of camera to recommend. I suppose you prefer to get a prosumer because of the lower cost involved, as well as the perception that it is not as complicated to use as a DSLR.

    Well, as long as you're sure you won't "outgrow" the prosumer within a short period of time!
    If you're very exacting about the photographs you want (I note the point about using it for design works), a DSLR will help in that regard.
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seletar, Singapore
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Do you intend to get serious with photography? If you are, then i would recommend going the dslr route right at the start, rather than upgrading later again.

    If you're not totally committed/interested in it, then a prosumer should be enough. your type of photography seems to range from wide angle (architecture) to telephoto (zoo) so I think the best prosumer to recommend is one with high zoom power.

    Also, do you want to get a camera which is pocketable? if yes, then prosumer. if you don't mind something more bulky, dslr.
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

  8. #8

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Hmmm my main issue would be image quality i'll just try to make do with the space thingy.

    I have read that article but still deciding between a prosumer & a SLR. So the things I have to look out for is sensor in prosumers?

    SLR seems nice to have based on the image quality but the maintenance & lens seems to be costly. Unless I dont have to change much lens or just own 1-2 lens that comes in a package (which i presume is called kit lens)

    Lets say my primarily focus is on architecture (exterior/interior) the rest comes later. Would it be advisable to get a DSLR instead?

    I guess I need some entry level DSLR recommendations instead lol

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    sad to say, your criteria isn't specific enough to help us narrow down a class of camera to recommend. I suppose you prefer to get a prosumer because of the lower cost involved, as well as the perception that it is not as complicated to use as a DSLR.

    Well, as long as you're sure you won't "outgrow" the prosumer within a short period of time!
    If you're very exacting about the photographs you want (I note the point about using it for design works), a DSLR will help in that regard.
    It is as you said, I would prefer to get a prosumer cos of the lower cost & the complication of using a DSLR. But I am afraid I might 'outgrow' the prosumer too. Since I am considering it as a long term investment plus the endless possibilities of using a DSLR (minus the size)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainez View Post
    It is as you said, I would prefer to get a prosumer cos of the lower cost & the complication of using a DSLR. But I am afraid I might 'outgrow' the prosumer too. Since I am considering it as a long term investment plus the endless possibilities of using a DSLR (minus the size)
    Get the Oly Pen. It is small enough, yet it provides DSLR image quality. Budget wise, you may need to top up another 200 for the 14-42 kit lens.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    it really depends if you will enlarge the photos larger then A4, otherwise...

    I would recommend a used Canon 300D + Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 combo. Not really that expensive if you decide to drop the hobby later on.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Get the Oly Pen. It is small enough, yet it provides DSLR image quality. Budget wise, you may need to top up another 200 for the 14-42 kit lens.
    I don't agree with this advice though.. TS mentioned that one of the main concerns was cost, and also fear of DSLR being too complicated. Size was not too much of a determining factor, so EP-1 would offer no substantial benefit, whilst introducing greater cost, a huge negative factor.
    Exploring! :)

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    it really depends if you will enlarge the photos larger then A4, otherwise...

    I would recommend a used Canon 300D + Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 combo. Not really that expensive if you decide to drop the hobby later on.
    I will be printing on minimum A3 size paper.

    After some consideration I have decided to go for a SLR instead. Thanks for the recommendation i'll go check it out

  14. #14

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainez View Post
    I will be printing on minimum A3 size paper.

    After some consideration I have decided to go for a SLR instead. Thanks for the recommendation i'll go check it out
    just be sure to search for recommended film developing shop.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    You can consider a DSLR like the Pentax Kx that is not too big, feature packed and is at ~$790 with 18-55mm kit lens.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    ya if i not gonna buy more lens .. the Kx is good price for a DSLR

    anyway a entry DSLR is small.. but do not let the word "entry" fool u ... under normal light.. even a budget DSLR performs as good as any high end ones.... the higher ends one hv their edge in clean high ISO, fast AF, multiple AF points for fast action.. etc. But if u take a still object (like what u intend to do) .. any cheap entry DSLR will just be as good .

    sharpness in a DSLR typically wins... so if u need to crop ur photos then its a good thing to hv..

  17. #17

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    ya if i not gonna buy more lens .. the Kx is good price for a DSLR

    anyway a entry DSLR is small.. but do not let the word "entry" fool u ... under normal light.. even a budget DSLR performs as good as any high end ones.... the higher ends one hv their edge in clean high ISO, fast AF, multiple AF points for fast action.. etc. But if u take a still object (like what u intend to do) .. any cheap entry DSLR will just be as good .

    sharpness in a DSLR typically wins... so if u need to crop ur photos then its a good thing to hv..
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Btw how about entry level Canon brands? I have friends that are interested in getting Canon brands but not sure what to get. Preferably with kit lens budget more or less $1k.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Hey, between entry level Canons (the 1000D) and the Kx, i would say the Pentax Kx has better image quality. And their price is pretty much the same range. The 1000D is a good camera, just that for that price range the Pentax Kx is better.
    5D3|5D2| XE-1|R3A| flickr | shane.design.photo

  19. #19

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    If your friends want canon, the 450-500D are good models, especially since prices are falling now. (But still more than the 1000D and Kx)
    5D3|5D2| XE-1|R3A| flickr | shane.design.photo

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainez View Post
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Btw how about entry level Canon brands? I have friends that are interested in getting Canon brands but not sure what to get. Preferably with kit lens budget more or less $1k.
    Dont think u shld get 450D .. the ISO1600 max is really restrictive ...

    If u want below 1k ... get a K-x ... if u think u gonna build on with a comprehensive system ... go for a canon or nikon which hv more lens for u ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •