Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stage performance photography

Default Re: Stage performance photography

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Post some of the photos here. We can learn a bit from your experience.
    I'm a newbie, first time shooting stage performance. so will be better if you guys can guide me along...kekeke..
    D90|AF-S DX 18-200mm VR2|AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED|SB-600|190CXPRO4|327RC2

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Shoot in RAW, adjust in post processing.
    Use ExpoDisc. It is one of the most handy piece of hardware besides filters that we use. Cheapest option is to shoot in RAW and then adjust it in Lightroom or Aperture.
    Hi,
    thanks for your reply.

I actually shot in RAW and went back to adjust but still turned up horrible. below is the link for some of the pics, some of the skin tone turn out very red lor

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653823

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    1#

2#

These are the only two which i can share. My sis doesn't want to share any of her child online...hope you guys understand.

So from the two pictures below, can you guys give me some advice or C & C...
    Thanks for our time.
    Hi Chester...don't mean to criticise but some pointers you might want to look into:
    Photo #1:
    (1) Photo is blur.
    (2) Kids in foreground are darker than background.
    (3) ADR does not seem to be turned on.

Photo #2:
    (1) Flash is bit too harsh. Try to use diffuser or point your flash to the ceiling to make use of bounce flash.
    (2) Photo is distorted out due to taking photos from one side of the stage. Try to take photos straight on so that the horizontal and vertical lines are straight and not at an angle.
    (3) Photo is blur.

Sometimes moving closer is preferred than using 200mm end of the lens. My personal preference is to use 50mm. Hope that helps.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    Hi,
    thanks for your reply.

I actually shot in RAW and went back to adjust but still turned up horrible. below is the link for some of the pics, some of the skin tone turn out very red lor

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653823
    Hi ahming111...viewed your photos. Nice.

I use ExpoDisc for environment where coloured lights are used which play havoc on the white balance. If it is tungsten or fluorescent then WB is easier to set or adjust in photoshop. I use Lightroom 2.6 and it is still possible to reduce the reds to bring out the neutrals. It is actually very time consuming to do the correction if you got lots of photos.
    Last edited by hotwork77; 17th February 2010 at 01:28 PM.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Hi ahming111...viewed your photos. Nice.

I use ExpoDisc for environment where coloured lights are used which play havoc on the white balance. If it is tungsten or fluorescent then WB is easier to set or adjust in photoshop. I use Lightroom 2.6 and it is still possible to reduce the reds to bring out the neutrals. It is actually very time consuming to do the correction if you got lots of photos.
    thanks, seems that the WB do change when the lights change also. sigh, maybe i'm just too lazy and want to use one setting for all the shots and expect a miracle for the WB to look all the same but i can't afford the time to check 1 by 1, each show is like 300+ shots at least, can faint wor like tht

Hi Chester...don't mean to criticise but some pointers you might want to look into:
    Photo #1:
    (1) Photo is blur.
    (2) Kids in foreground are darker than background.
    (3) ADR does not seem to be turned on.

Photo #2:
    (1) Flash is bit too harsh. Try to use diffuser or point your flash to the ceiling to make use of bounce flash.
    (2) Photo is distorted out due to taking photos from one side of the stage. Try to take photos straight on so that the horizontal and vertical lines are straight and not at an angle.
    (3) Photo is blur.

Sometimes moving closer is preferred than using 200mm end of the lens. My personal preference is to use 50mm. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for pointing out...that's what i wanna hear from you guys. only 1 point that i can't get close enough to use a 50mm lens. i'm not allow to do so as i be blocking the rest of the children.

Its a very simple fix actually. Anybody ask, can say its the tungsten lighting. But what happens is that the "brightness" is muted so as to give everyone a generally equal color face. Works best when flash and stage lighting dont work well. (they dont give full coverage.)

For this kind of situation, i will only use flash if can get them or the target within the flash radius otherwise bump up aperture to f/5.6 and iso to 1600 which can give very flexible shutter speed. If this is the 200mm end of the lens, the softness is normal. If you dont mind doing some "brightening" in post, you can get some rather sharp pics at F/8~F/11.
    Last edited by Reportage; 17th February 2010 at 02:52 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Besides securing a front row seat which allows you to get closer shots, I do think there is little that can be done about composition here.

The effect of things looking skewed when shooting from the side can be reduced if you zoom in onto the performers. For one-off events in which you need longer/faster lenses but do not have them, you can consider renting them.

both pics are quite soft, not sure if you'd use a shutter speed that is too low.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    both pics are quite soft, not sure if you'd use a shutter speed that is too low.
    I thought so, after reading over the forums. lesson learn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12