Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the reason for the difference between these 2 pics due to Aperture?

Default Is the reason for the difference between these 2 pics due to Aperture?

Cos I use F8 for the first and F2 for the second.. is that why the building seems to be brighter? Or was it due to metering?

Default Re: Is the reason for the difference between these 2 pics due to Aperture?

i firmly believe it to be a metering thing.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Default Re: Is the reason for the difference between these 2 pics due to Aperture?

i believe this shot is not tripod mount, thus metered on different objects. Most prolly u used spot/evaluative metering.

Yup. Hand held.

Metering mode is 1-area.

Metering.

i see...

thanks for the info.

was wondering what caused that as the only changes i made was the aperture and didnt realise that the metering had shifted as it was handheld.

Read read read read and re-read the BASICS.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

It will be very helpful in the longer run.

There is a possibility that your camera cannot go beyond 1/2000 sec when you set your aperture at F2 (I note that you have fixed your ISO at 80).

Your 2nd picture may be over-exposed.

Note: At F8 (1st picture), your shutter speed is already at 1/1000 sec
    Last edited by Diavonex; 16th February 2010 at 08:35 PM.

Blog Entries

hey err guys..... BEFORE YOU START OFFERING OPINIONS ........ should we not first ask TS what user and/or exposure modes the camera is at in the first place?

IF you are on manual mode (u control the shutter speed AND apature... and the camera fires off irregardless) .... then YES....all other things unchanged.. the difference between f8 and f2 could cause this difference in the images

IF you were on Apature pirority mode... going FROM f8 to f2 might require the camera choosing a much higher shutter speed than whats available in your camera causing the overexposed 2nd image

someone please correct me if I have made a wrong assumption
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th February 2010 at 08:44 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    hey err guys..... before you start throwing around opinions........ should we not first ask TS what user and/or exposure modes the camera is at in the first place?

IF you are on manual mode (u control the shutter speed AND apature... and the camera fires off irregardless) .... then YES....all other things unchanged.. the difference between f8 and f2 could cause this difference in the images

if you were on Apature pirority mode... going to f2 might require a much higher shutter speed than whats available in your camera

someone please correct me if I have made a wrong assumption
    1st picture Program Mode

2nd picture Aperture Priority Mode.
    Last edited by Diavonex; 16th February 2010 at 08:45 PM.

#1: Program Mode, Center weighted metering, f/8, 1/1000
    #2: Aperture Mode, Center weighted metering, f/2, 1/2000
    My guess: shutter cannot go faster than 1/2000, therefore the overexposed 2nd pic. But there should be a warning sign on the display.
    EOS

From what I can see from the 2 photos : 1) TS is shooting from inside the car. 2) 1st photo shot @f8 was pointed at a higher angle, that means the camera is metering off the bright sky, therefore giving the under exposed picture. 3) 2nd shot @f2 was shot at a lower angle, therefore metering maybe was at building? Thus giving a brighter picture?
    But don't know what TS uses which mode of metering. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Take the shot!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    1st picture Program Mode

2nd picture Aperture Priority Mode.

ha ha u power .... how can u tell ?
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th February 2010 at 08:53 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

The LX3 have a maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 sec in Aperture & Program Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ha ha u power .... how can u tell ?
    I did check the EXIF file

oh ya. i think first pic was Program mode. second pics was aperture priorty mode. haha. thanks..

metering was one-area.

hmm madmartian seemed to have mentioned something that i think that's what happened when i took the 2 pics.. and conclusion is the metering. thanks for all great help!

TS: Next time you should include the EXIF data in text form below the image itself.
    Most of us (myself included) aren't so hardworking as Diavonex, to download the image and then view the exif
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    TS: Next time you should include the EXIF data in text form below the image itself.
    Most of us (myself included) aren't so hardworking as Diavonex, to download the image and then view the exif
    oh... yea sorry. my bad.. will do so the next time round.

Firefox has some very handy plug-ins for that purpose
    EOS

Right-click on image - View Exif.

The benefits of firefox.
    Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast