Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for travel

Default Insurance for travel

Hi i was wondeirng if anyone knows any good insurance for cameras especially against theft, robbery, etc when one is going overseas from singapore.
    the insurance i normally see seems to only cover general stuff like flight delay cancellation but not theft

any advice would help!

thanks

Default Re: Insurance for travel

i think ntuc income got cover for missing articles.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

so far usually such items only max coverage is $500...

maybe someone want to do a more extensive research to see if there is any travel insurance that covers more then $500?

On most overseas tip.... my set up would be 40D+BG... with 17-55mm and 100-400mm L... maybe with Sigma 10-20mm or even 100mm Macro L as an mid range protrait lens.... not forgetting a 580EX MkII for those "just in case" moment.....

Never once did I consider getting Travel Insurance for my gears.... the reasons -

1) Easy to pay the insurance company... much harder to proof and claim for my lost.

2) Inorder to cover anything near the total cost of my lost items.... the amount I need to paid would be too high... might as well save the $$$$ and use it for that trip....

and many other reasons...

By the way.... all my gears always return with me safe & sound.... so far at least

Scuba & Father... For Life

It appears so far that most insurance companies in Singapore do not have travel insurance that specifically covers camera equipment. There was a discussion this a few years back (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177248). Maybe you can work out with the insurance company for a specific package? But I think the risk of loss may not be worth the premium.

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    On most overseas tip.... my set up would be 40D+BG... with 17-55mm and 100-400mm L... maybe with Sigma 10-20mm or even 100mm Macro L as an mid range protrait lens.... not forgetting a 580EX MkII for those "just in case" moment.....

Never once did I consider getting Travel Insurance for my gears.... the reasons -

1) Easy to pay the insurance company... much harder to proof and claim for my lost.

2) Inorder to cover anything near the total cost of my lost items.... the amount I need to paid would be too high... might as well save the $$$$ and use it for that trip....

and many other reasons...

By the way.... all my gears always return with me safe & sound.... so far at least
    That's narrow minded pov, don't you think? yes insurance not worth it if only for camera coverage. For me, I never travel without Travel Insurance.

As for claims, so far I have never had any problems with my claims. I usually switch between AIG (now called Chartis) & NTUC, although recently I am looking at AXA. Premiums are all quite close, NTUC sometimes have promo.. so see what's value for money at time of buying. But now I am more incline towards NTUC bcos they have online purchase, the others you can still call them on phone and purchase thru the CallCentre but a bit lehceh need to have travel companion details on hand first.

So what I do if I want to buy from other than NTUC, I go to Income online and check my family details online (as they are my travel companions) and provide these details to Chartis or AXA on the phone.

../azul123

Yup, ma coverage from NTUC/ AIG is only $500, and believe me it is hard to claim, my family member once lost her Pns Camera, to Claim requires a police report from the country you visited.

Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    Yup, ma coverage from NTUC/ AIG is only $500, and believe me it is hard to claim, my family member once lost her Pns Camera, to Claim requires a police report from the country you visited.
    A police report is a must... how do you expect to claim?

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    A police report is a must... how do you expect to claim?

../azul123
    Most of the time, we get the hotel staff to help us with the admin stuff, other than that the best solution if not to lose anything

For most travel insurance, the max claim for electronic gadgets (incl camera stuff) is $500 per item (meaning, batt can consider 1 item, memory also 1 item... as long as they got a separate receipt).

Yes, a police report in the country of loss (theft, robbery watever) is required to make the claims, along with receipts of the item. It's not really troublesome or hard to claim.

I was glad that I got my AIG coverage for my Nepal trip, where my Leica PnS got pickpocketed & I also hurt my knee while trekking. Managed to claim $600+ for everything (& I din have to wait very long for the cheque).
    ~ 迷失的我仍在努力寻找属于自己的蓝天 ~

I think Aig should be easier to claim than NTUC? but the premium is higher right?

Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    I think Aig should be easier to claim than NTUC? but the premium is higher right?
    That depends,,,AIG or now know as Chartis Insurance is having a promotion of i thik 40% discount as this NATAS Fair. You can alway go to www.chartisinurance.com.sg to do a self quote. For those who do not keep your proof of purchase can always submit warrenty card for the claim department to do a review.
    Last edited by gummy73; 20th February 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Just to share my experience. I got an AIG travel insurance package from my agent when I went to Phuket. Someone knocked into me and I accidentally dropped my 85 1.4 on the floor and the front glass cracked. I quickly took a picture and sent it to my agent that very moment. She helped me to claim and all I needed to give her was the photo and the original receipt. I got the maximum of $500 from AIG within a month. All thanks to my agent. She helped me with all the paper work. Sometimes, it's better to pay more for good service. =)
    Last edited by castwind; 22nd February 2010 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by castwind View Post
    Just to share my experience. I got an AIG travel insurance package from my agent when I went to Phuket. I accidentally dropped my 85 1.4 on the floor and the front glass cracked. I quickly took a picture and sent it to my agent that very moment. She helped me to claim and all I needed to give her was the photo and the original receipt. I got the maximum of $500 from AIG within a month. All thanks to my agent. She helped me with all the paper work. Sometimes, it's better to pay more for good service. =)
    huh? this is ownself spoilt the lens, also covered?

For me ...... I charge my airticket to credit card.. i get free insurance....
    but coverage for equipment is limited... up to abt 500 per item..
    so i guess if each of ur lens is not more then 500 and ur camera is not more then 500 it is okie.... but even if it is .... at least there is some coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    huh? this is ownself spoilt the lens, also covered?
    Actually it's someone knocking into me, so it is still some form of accident...

Quote Originally Posted by limkopi View Post
    For most travel insurance, the max claim for electronic gadgets (incl camera stuff) is $500 per item (meaning, batt can consider 1 item, memory also 1 item... as long as they got a separate receipt).

Yes, a police report in the country of loss (theft, robbery watever) is required to make the claims, along with receipts of the item. It's not really troublesome or hard to claim.

I was glad that I got my AIG coverage for my Nepal trip, where my Leica PnS got pickpocketed & I also hurt my knee while trekking. Managed to claim $600+ for everything (& I din have to wait very long for the cheque).

Had my first experience claiming insurance from my wife and I's trip to South Australia late last year.
    We tend to simply choose one (mostly AIG though we've taken HSBC before I think) and this was the first time we were using NTUC

A bit unfortunate, an opposing car flipped a rock which struck our windscreen of our rental. Just a 5 cent mark which grew to a 15cm long line overnight (expansion and contraction I assume)
    We called the rental company, Budget, to inform them of the predicament was told not to worry but to keep to our itinerary (don't slam the doors and leave a gap in the windows were the advice given). It shouldn't cost more than AUD200

To our horrors, we were quoted >1500 when we returned the car. Reasons being the car was new, fresh off the dealership, no one else had the part yet. They were going to have the Sydney dealership order one from Japan then ship it down to Adelaide. We did not get insurance from Budget and was told it wouldn't have covered this anyway. They were chaffed about the affair too, because they had another person coming to pick up the car the next day. Had to stick a big 'Out of Order' sticker on the windshield

Told us to wait for the bill as we were flying off that same day. There was a huge hassle confirming the amount, and much back and forth but finally came up to ~AUD1299. On a whim, we decided to check with NTUC if it was possible to claim. The call center person told us to make a police report here (did it in Cantonment) and then submit all the invoices to them; NTUC should be able to cover $500 of whatever the charge is. Another few weeks of chasing Budget but had good news, seems that they checked with the dealership in the end (and maybe because it dragged so long I guess), they had the part and that it would only be AUD300+. So we paid udget, sent the receipt and necessary docs to NTUC and voila, no out-of-pocket expenses.

Was pleasantly surprised by all this
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

the competition nowadays has made insurance companise quick on payin their claims.

consider tenet.. they offer higher limits on camera and video equipement.

do contact me if u need help.

Next week i am going to Siem Reap, Cambodia... I just paid S$49.50 in cash payment (discount promo) for my Premium insurance (within ASEAN: 1 - 6 days worth S$55) from Travel Guard (Chartis) - approved and supported by the National Association of Travel Agents Singapore (NATAS)... if pay by any credit cards then it will be S$33 (also discount promo)... at MISA Travel agency in Hong Lim Complex http://www.airfares.com.sg/travel_in...ance_index.htm

Hopefully they will cover my gears - 1 DSLR and 2 Pro-DSLRs..

"Section 23. Personal Baggage including Laptop Computer: Cover loss or damage to baggage, clothing, personal effects, laptop computer (maximum S$500 for any one article or pair or set of articles. Maximum for laptop computer is S$1000)."
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 24th February 2010 at 06:26 PM.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast