Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

  1. #1
    Member e69087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    407

    Default How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    Hi all,
    Happy Lunar New Year to everyone.
    Just want to find out how soon u keep your DSLR (between shoots) inside the dry cabinet? Say u are shooting today & u also plan to shoot over the next 2 days. After u are done for today, do u keep your camera inside the dry cabinet immediately? Or after u have done for the 3 days shooting?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member Shuin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    231

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    I'll only keep it when I'm done with the shooting after all 3 days
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II |My Photo Album

  3. #3
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,858

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    keep after each use. cos if i left it on the table or somewhere, it might be accidentally bumped into or whichever and fall off from its position.

  4. #4
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    I bring my cam out everyday, sometimes I just leave the cam in the bag w/o putting it back to the dry cabi.

    I don't think the lenses will get fungus this way as I'm using them everyday and it's only 1 or 2 days out of the dry cabi.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    hijack this thread for a qns.
    when store in dry cabinet, do you guys remove the lens from body? or just put as whatever you are holding in?
    D3s, N24-70, N70-200 VR2, 85 1.4G, SB700, SB910

  6. #6

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by wuminlee View Post
    hijack this thread for a qns.
    when store in dry cabinet, do you guys remove the lens from body? or just put as whatever you are holding in?
    Cam goes into the cabinet every day, as it is with the lens. Taking the lens off and on, just to put the cap, I feel just asks for more dust to go in. Not all cams have anti-dust mechanisms in them.

    -- marios

  7. #7

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by e69087 View Post
    Hi all,
    Happy Lunar New Year to everyone.
    Just want to find out how soon u keep your DSLR (between shoots) inside the dry cabinet? Say u are shooting today & u also plan to shoot over the next 2 days. After u are done for today, do u keep your camera inside the dry cabinet immediately? Or after u have done for the 3 days shooting?
    Thanks!
    When at home, keep it usually after 12 hours maximum. When outside, can be as long as 2 to 3 weeks. If you keep shooting, don't need to worry.

    Quote Originally Posted by wuminlee View Post
    hijack this thread for a qns.
    when store in dry cabinet, do you guys remove the lens from body? or just put as whatever you are holding in?
    Both attached or remove.

  8. #8
    Member axis90x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In your dreams
    Posts
    1,385

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    will keep it straight after each use
    and will leave the lens on the body (:
    Moments

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,420

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    Answer depends on your personal preferences and the conditions at your place. Playing children, clumsy members of the house and mothers with a strict sense of tidiness are good indicators for putting your gear int the cabinet at once. It's a good habit to keep everything in once place.
    Since I don't have the mentioned risk factors at my place I have the luxury just to keep it on the table, ready for next day. Fungus is irrelevant in such a short time frame.
    EOS

  10. #10
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post
    Cam goes into the cabinet every day, as it is with the lens. Taking the lens off and on, just to put the cap, I feel just asks for more dust to go in. Not all cams have anti-dust mechanisms in them.

    -- marios
    No fast hard rule.. put it the way u wan so long u feel comfortable abt it..

    i will prefer to detach lens from body...
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  11. #11

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    my camera with lens attached can be left on my table for days before putting it in the dry cabinet. so long the environment is not that harsh, i think it should be fine...

  12. #12
    Member Guystqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore, AMK
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    I just store my cam+lens attached straight from the bag to the dry cabinet. It will be such a chore to detach/attach the lens just to use the cam.

    And i put a few packets of silica gel into my camera bag, so i am sure that my bag isnt moist or whatsoever. This kiasu act leaves me worry free even if i dont put the cam back into the cabinet for a week or something. haha.
    The world through my Canon 50D (35L, 17-55) | Nex 7 (16, 18-55, Sigma 30)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Guystqy View Post
    I just store my cam+lens attached straight from the bag to the dry cabinet. It will be such a chore to detach/attach the lens just to use the cam.

    And i put a few packets of silica gel into my camera bag, so i am sure that my bag isnt moist or whatsoever. This kiasu act leaves me worry free even if i dont put the cam back into the cabinet for a week or something. haha.
    The silica gel in your bag will be saturated within a day or two. The camera is better off outside the bag than inside.

  14. #14

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    Fungus won't grow in the next few (never tried how long) days; however, if you have been handling the camera with oily hands from food, then things are hard to say.
    If the bag is old and moldy bec it was left in a storeroom, then fungus will grow very fast with item left inside.
    When the day is raining, then immediate will be viable because you need to dry the cam.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How soon u keep your DSLR in the dry cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by e69087 View Post
    Hi all,
    Happy Lunar New Year to everyone.
    Just want to find out how soon u keep your DSLR (between shoots) inside the dry cabinet? Say u are shooting today & u also plan to shoot over the next 2 days. After u are done for today, do u keep your camera inside the dry cabinet immediately? Or after u have done for the 3 days shooting?
    Thanks!
    if camera wont see the sun for more then a week then i keep inside the cabinet.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •