Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

  1. #1

    Default CNY Lights At Marina Bay



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?

    There is something that doesn't feel right about the image. I am frustrated that I donno why. Please tell me if you know. Save the good comments, say something constructively bad instead.

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

    I want to record the nice CNY lights at Marina Bay during the nice colors of sunset.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

    Shot at f5.6 ISO200 1/8 handheld braced against a railing, I shot about 6 frames before the red hue in the sky disappeared and the deep blue took over.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

    There is something that doesn't feel right about the image. It doesn't feel like its in harmony. I can't exactly tell, maybe you can help me.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  2. #2
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    i find it too messy. totally lost searching for ur main subject.

    if main subject is the lighting decors, than they r way too small.

    also, more than 1/2 is the sky, were u trying to show it as part of the composition?

    is the 2 ram / bridge part of what u wanted to show? they dont add to the photo.

    side note, really hate it, dont know why they cast net over the lotus, making it very difficult to take good photos of them.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  3. #3

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    too much going on here, sjackal.

    too much coompeting for attention, it is a riot of colors and elements.

  4. #4
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    I get a headache looking at the photo. Too much wonky for me...
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  5. #5

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    The Sky is great .
    The Buildings skyline is great .
    The Exposure overall is good .
    The CNY stuff is OK .
    The Power cable above is not good .
    Together , it has lost the plot .
    Less sky , Slower shutter speed , motion blur the crowd and you may get the CNY atmosphere . . .

  6. #6

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    Change of view point might make a better picture...

    * anything from the left side bridge onwards can be omitted.
    * a much forward and lower shooting angle... using those floating lights as foregrd and a much accentuated God of Fortune towering those buildings behind.

    Actual shooting situation / condition may have prevent this suggested composition.

    Make any adjustment in moderation and saved different version, open all up onscreen for comparision.

  7. #7

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    Thanx for all the great critiques! Thanx!
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  8. #8

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    I don't like this picture because of the over-saturation of colours for one, and second because it feels over-crowded with too many details and nothing to look at really.

    Did you over-saturate this using photoshop?

  9. #9

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by rronnie View Post
    I don't like this picture because of the over-saturation of colours for one, and second because it feels over-crowded with too many details and nothing to look at really.

    Did you over-saturate this using photoshop?
    No, in fact had to desaturate the red and yellow to prevent color clipping.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  10. #10

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    It feels like you superimposed Chinatown in front of the Singapore Skyline. Technically, it's a great photo, nicely exposed sky, but as the others had said, too much going on in the image.

    Cheers!
    gibss.
    Nikon & Pentax :)

  11. #11

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    Technically, I think it is 'correct'. You have well exposed sky, city and scene. Ok, maybe the forground/scene is a bit too bright, so it looks as if its cut and pasted. I kind of like it just to slowly pick at all that is going on. Too bad its too small. I'd suspect its small because of the camera shake done hand held for 6 exposures, which would be obvious if the image is bigger. Good try at the technique anyway. Composition wise, I feel that its the sky that is major culprit for the loss of focus to the image. It does not really add to the story of the picture, but takes up nearly half the screen.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    sengkang
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    you could remove the green speck of bright light at the background........find it abit distracting...........maybe you can cut off more of the left side as suggested by cabbySHE..........

  13. #13

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    Why are there cranes on the building, what is that line running across the sky and what are the light post doing on the left 1/4 and right side? PP them away.

    Bec the statue is bigger than the building, that may the reason why it looks weird. But it is sure colorful.

  14. #14

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    I think this image is covered way too much of everything...maybe the photographer trying to present all scene to the viewers, but I dont think it works. because it is too much things inside and they are too distractive. I rather to see the photographer to take off the lights on the water...or maybe as well as some part of the sky...

    if this image has been PS, I think you have just make it too contrast...and the color is too much...everything will be great if they are in independent shot!Nice try tho!keep it up!
    http://tzelinlow.blogspot.com/
    http://tzelinlow.blogspot.com/

  15. #15

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Too bad its too small. I'd suspect its small because of the camera shake done hand held for 6 exposures, which would be obvious if the image is bigger. Good try at the technique anyway.
    Thanx. You are mistaken though, this is just one exposure, I shot 6 frames and picked the sharpest.

    Quote Originally Posted by chinghang View Post
    you could remove the green speck of bright light at the background........find it abit distracting...........maybe you can cut off more of the left side as suggested by cabbySHE..........
    Thanx. I avoid removing things or changing the scene too much. I might clean it up if its a worthy pic with potential.

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Why are there cranes on the building, what is that line running across the sky and what are the light post doing on the left 1/4 and right side? PP them away.

    Bec the statue is bigger than the building, that may the reason why it looks weird. But it is sure colorful.
    Thanx. I avoid removing things or changing the scene too much. I might clean it up if its a worthy pic with potential.

    Quote Originally Posted by tl880114 View Post
    I think this image is covered way too much of everything...maybe the photographer trying to present all scene to the viewers, but I dont think it works. because it is too much things inside and they are too distractive. I rather to see the photographer to take off the lights on the water...or maybe as well as some part of the sky...

    if this image has been PS, I think you have just make it too contrast...and the color is too much...everything will be great if they are in independent shot!Nice try tho!keep it up!
    Thanx, next year maybe.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  16. #16
    Member lonarciso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    226

    Smile Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    still nice

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    any editing done? seems unnatural to me.

  18. #18

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    Honestly looks like a bad photochop job. The sky looks too bright for the city building background and yet too dark to cast the kind of illumination on the people and objects in the foreground. Very awkward.

  19. #19

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by abdhas96 View Post
    any editing done? seems unnatural to me.
    Thanx, recovered highlights and shadow details in the RAW file. Reduced red and blue and improved some clarity.

    Quote Originally Posted by lonarciso View Post
    still nice
    Not really. If nice, I won't put up for critics.

    Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Honestly looks like a bad photochop job. The sky looks too bright for the city building background and yet too dark to cast the kind of illumination on the people and objects in the foreground. Very awkward.
    Thanx. The foreground is illuminated by manmade lights; the CNY lights and the lighting structure of the floating platform.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  20. #20

    Default Re: CNY Lights At Marina Bay

    i just love the sky
    Shooting today anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •