Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson R-D1 Digital Rangefinder Camera

I doubt there'll be many takers for this pioneering effort. But someone had to do it I guess.

What, no autofocus?

Quote Originally Posted by chyeo
    my sentiments exactly. i thought leica or bessa would do it instead.
    this camera IS a Bessa in digital form...... Cosina is as much involved as Epson.

Cosina provides the camera, Epson provides the electronics.....

it could have been Epson or anyone else....though i've read that Epson has some fancy microlens technology that allows the sensor to be placed between the short focus lenses of the M mount.....

btw that sensor is probably the same Sony D100 sensor - same ISO range and same crop factor.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Wonder why it still have a film advance lever since it is a digital camera?
    Hi

the film advance lever cocks the shutter, just like any film advance lever will do on any good old rangefinder body

the film rewind knob is now some kind of jog dial for the menus. Ingenious!

in case u guys didn't realise, the LCD can be flipped and reversed so that it is hidden within the camera body, replaced with a circular crop factor table that looks very much like the Leica's ISO dial. One will never tell its a digital body once the LCD is hidden!
    David Teo

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    I like the idea of using a Leica-M lens on a digital body!
    But the price will just break my heart!
    Hi

the price is rumoured to be the same as that of a new Leica MP or M7 body, which in digital terms, isn't that much money for a first release.
    David Teo

Quote Originally Posted by Cash
    the dRF is a step forward technologically but a step back philosophically as far as the M goes. imo
    but remember, this is not a M Philosophically speaking it follows its own set of rules.... the only common thing is it takes Leica M lenses.

most folks using the Ms weren't really worried about film costs in the beginning and it's confusing why any M owner would wanna stick a M lens over a ccd sensor for that pixelated look.
    Going digital is not entirely about film costs. i'm sure u know about that And certain enterprising people on the photo.net forums have proven that desirable M lens qualities can be carried over to digital sensors, bokeh being one of them......

Pixelated digital looks belong only to those sub $1k consumer digital cameras, camera phones and PDAs with built in cameras There I've said it. Flame away.....

The DSLRs have image quality that matches and more often than not now, exceeds that of film for most practical shooting situations. Since this appears to use the D100 sensor, it promises to have the same quality, though its probably too early to tell at this point in time.

but u're right - film will never stop passing through my Ms. it is just so much simpler.
    David Teo

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel
    I have heard a lot of complaints about the bessa R shutter being loud, but I rarely read any explanations on why it is such. Actually there are two reasons why the Bessa R shutter is that loud:

1) It is made of metal.
    That's right.

2) There are actually 2 layers of shutter, unlike an SLR which has only one layer. One layer which is the shutter itself, and an outer layer to ensure no light leakage when the camera is pointed at something really bright such as the sun.
    Focal plane shutters, by their very nature, require two curtains to work. Whether or not they're lightproof is another thing.

Advantage of a metal shutter will be that you can achieve a higher x-sync speed and higher maximum shutter speed.
    That's half the story. The other half is that the shutter is a vertically travelling one.

This has been widely discussed on international fora.

The street price is rumoured to be about US$2k.

It is a product of epson/Cosina collaboration ... and as rightly pointed out, Cosina/voigtlander provided the body and mechanics and epson the electronics.

I believe the pricing indicates that they are positioning this as an alternative for Leica owners. Instead of that second M7 (or M6) or MP body, why not get a digital camera that can take your "M" lenses for about the same price.

I don't think they intend to sell big numbers of them... but if they can move as many units of this as Leica moves M7, I think they already have a winner. This is something that Leica should have done earlier... maybe with panasonic?

Myself, I would seriously consider it . except that the 1.6x crop puts me off. If it was about 1.3x I think I could still live w/it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn

The DSLRs have image quality that matches and more often than not now, exceeds that of film for most practical shooting situations. Since this appears to use the D100 sensor, it promises to have the same quality, though its probably too early to tell at this point in time.

u r telling me a 14x11 trix with a M lens on fibre paper matches or more often than not be inferior to a dslr raw image printed 14x11 on the best epson/fuji printer?

well i guess u could be right.

I guess the key operative term is "practical shooting situations".

For most people, they never enlarge beyond 4x5 90% of the time....
    and screen enlargements aren't sensitive to resolution comparatively.

11x14 shouldn't be a problem for DSLR 6MP sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltzar
    I guess the key operative term is "practical shooting situations".

For most people, they never enlarge beyond 4x5 90% of the time....
    and screen enlargements aren't sensitive to resolution comparatively.
    if i'd to go digital now, it wun be because i can use leica lenses on the redundant digital RF, but would be becos i need the speed and burst and AF and large sensors and the very important re-write rates...and cost.
    it's ironic that the same camp of people shouting foul to the death of film would welcome a digital camera for a system renowned for candid, fast, unobtrusive , battery-less, fully mechanical functions.
    the leica lenses shine in b/w , that is a fact, irregardless of how void the content of the pix are...it's up to u to create...the lenses are there to create that difference optically already.

the digi print thru the leica lenses just won't match and never will be equal to that thru film, especially b/w. It'll take a special PS program plug to imitate triX for e.g up to the print stage.

overlooking image quality aside, the excuse to use existing leica lenses on a digicam becos film will die one day is a laughable one. No fish prawn also good mentality.Might as well start with a nikon system then since nikon or canon will run circles over leica in the eventuality of a full digital era.

still, at the end of the tiring day, it really is the final image that counts...whether it touches anyone or oneself, is camera independent and cetainly lens independent...or media independent....i think..
    ;0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12