Thread: DVD-R

Default DVD-R

Hey guys, I just bought some DVD-R to backup my gigs of pictures. To my horror, when I insert the DVD into my disc drive, it shows 0 bytes free and I am unable to copy my files to the disc.

Anyone knows what is going wrong? Is my DVD drive incompatible with the DVD-R? How should I check if it is?

Default Re: DVD-R

Quote Originally Posted by eedwinn View Post
    Hey guys, I just bought some DVD-R to backup my gigs of pictures. To my horror, when I insert the DVD into my disc drive, it shows 0 bytes free and I am unable to copy my files to the disc.

Anyone knows what is going wrong? Is my DVD drive incompatible with the DVD-R? How should I check if it is?
    Hi, are you using Windows Exporer to drag and drop the files into the DVD-R or some CD / DVD recording software? Try using another disc or on another computer.

DVD is not a very reliable media for backing up. From my past experience, most of the data I've backed up on DVD media were not readable after few years. Probably the way I store the media. But I really don't advise using DVD media for archiving.

Visit me at minioldman.com.

which version of OS/windows are u using ? does it support drag and drop burning of DVDrs from explorer folder ?
    Try getting a copy of dvd burning softwares like nero to burn. shld just work out fine.

btw get those better quality dvds. i usually burn 2 copies, one to stash for good. the other for occassional retrieval.

ryan

Other free programs fir Windows: CDBurnerXP, ImageBurn .. Explorer might not show the details correctly. Use these programs to check the media. Getting quality media helps preventing problems, too.
    EOS

if all the disc show the same problem, its probably driver or software issue

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    which version of OS/windows are u using ? does it support drag and drop burning of DVDrs from explorer folder ?
    Try getting a copy of dvd burning softwares like nero to burn. shld just work out fine.

btw get those better quality dvds. i usually burn 2 copies, one to stash for good. the other for occassional retrieval.

ryan
    Opps, I didn't know my system can't drag and drop to burn DVDs, I always do that when I burn CDs. Using Win XP. Tried with other software and it worked like a charm.

Thanks guys!