Thread: Lightroom 2 issue?

Default Lightroom 2 issue?

I realised that whenever I transfered the files to lightroom, my shots get darker. In a way, there is a drop in exposure compared to the preview on my camera LCD screen. Is it due to my screen being too bright? I have checked at is set default at normal. Or is it due to LR ? I am using an Alpha 850.

Default Re: Lightroom 2 issue?

camera's LCD screen is never good to gauge exposure / brightness of images.
    trust the histogram, and view it on your computer's screen.

Thanks.Do you have any links that explains how to read the Histogram?

Quote Originally Posted by TBSOO View Post
    Thanks.Do you have any links that explains how to read the Histogram?
    Try the following links.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/histograms.htm
    Visit me at minioldman.com.

Secondly: is your screen calibrated? If not .. you are doing just some lucky guessing based on two untrustworthy sources. Get the usually recommended devices (Spyder etc.) and create proper colour profile for your system.
    EOS

Am I right to say that the Spyder is used only once to calibrate my laptop? That means once calibrated, I do not need the equipment anymore? Tot perhaps borrow from someone who owns them. :-)

Am I right to say that the Spyder is used only once to calibrate my laptop? That means once calibrated, I do not need the equipment anymore? Tot perhaps borrow from someone who owns them. :-)
    no, your laptop tends to lose its color accuracy after few weeks or few months. I calibrate my monitor with Spyder2Pro every 2 months and there is always obvious difference on the before/after page
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    no, your laptop tends to lose its color accuracy after few weeks or few months. I calibrate my monitor with Spyder2Pro every 2 months and there is always obvious difference on the before/after page
    Do you think it is worth it to get the Spyder? Is the difference really a lot? I am not a pro, just a hobbyist, but the difference in color on the camera lcd and the laptop is bugging me alot. A big drop in exposure on the laptop......

Do you think it is worth it to get the Spyder? Is the difference really a lot? I am not a pro, just a hobbyist, but the difference in color on the camera lcd and the laptop is bugging me alot. A big drop in exposure on the laptop......
    i always advice my friends, especially those who'd just got their DSLRs to get a decent monitor first and then a calibrator comes second. New lens/ speedlite comes last.

The difference as you call it, greatly depends on your monitor. Most high-end LCDs have pretty accurate colors so the end-result after calibration may be minimal. Still, frequent calibration is recommended.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

The color difference between your laptop and camera lcd will be big. calibrating your laptop's screen will allow you to achieve more accurate colors when editing. but if u are looking for more accurate colors, get a standalone LCD monitor with at least a PVA panel or even better IPS panel, cheaper TN panels won't do u any good.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    i always advice my friends, especially those who'd just got their DSLRs to get a decent monitor first and then a calibrator comes second. New lens/ speedlite comes last.

The difference as you call it, greatly depends on your monitor. Most high-end LCDs have pretty accurate colors so the end-result after calibration may be minimal. Still, frequent calibration is recommended.
    Yeap, no pt having great gears, but when u pp, u are pp-ing in the wrong colors.

What is the point of editing colours if you can't even be sure about what you see? If the nice blue sky you try to get is only the result of a misconfiguration then all the efforts are wasted.
    EOS

Thank you all for the valuable input. Will seriously consider getting one after CNY.