Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: AFS lenses

  1. #1

    Default AFS lenses

    HI..

    just want to know if my dslr has a af motor (d90) will purchasing afs lenses improve the quality of the pictures or is it just a waste of $$?

  2. #2

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    AF-S or AF-D doesnt define the image quality, it depends on how the lens is constructed, elements, coating etc..

  3. #3

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    but will it affect the photos? i mean if you compare with using a non afs lens..

  4. #4
    Member papajanggo33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    rustic but charming hougang
    Posts
    898

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    i suggest you read up your manual dude. it's never a waste of money if you know what you want from the lenses working with such body. there's plenty of review threads on nikon and 3rd party lenses. each has its own merit. believe me, it'll helps a lot reading those. oh btw, a lens is just a part of the tool. you still have to understand the fundamentals of white balance,iso,metering,focusing,exposure and so forth prior to shooting.

    i've migrated from PnS, prosumer and now DSLR. not to brag mate,but i've never touch those auto mode (scenery/landscape/macro/portraiture) coz these are available as a standard in digicam and prosumer and i've used it extensively. instead,toggle around with manual/programme or aperture/shutter priority. as you go along, you'll see what such cam is capable of. coz i'm using one and i'm still learning.

    cheers
    papajanggo33
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

  5. #5

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericulf View Post
    but will it affect the photos? i mean if you compare with using a non afs lens..
    Assuming that all other elements remain the same, the only difference is whether the camera body does the focusing or the lens. So the only thing affected is the autofocusing speed.
    Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    i'm using manual mode..

    what i mean ish.. usually they say tt if your body has the af motors, you're able to use it with lens without af motors, unlike bodies with no af motors and hence need to purchase lens with af motors.

    nikkor 50mm prime lens comes in af and af-s. so there be a diff in the turn out of the photos if i use it on d90?

  7. #7

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Assuming that all other elements remain the same, the only difference is whether the camera body does the focusing or the lens. So the only thing affected is the autofocusing speed.
    i see.. so the pictures will turn out the same? just the spd of the autofocusing differs?

  8. #8

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericulf View Post
    i see.. so the pictures will turn out the same? just the spd of the autofocusing differs?
    That's assuming there's no changes to the lens elements. But some newer-generation lenses may have improvements to sharpness or bokeh, etc. Best to read the lens reviews for details.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    if u are comparing the nikkor AF-D 50 1.4 vs the AF-S 50 1.4, yes i believe there's a change in the optics and elements, therefore IQ would be different.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericulf View Post
    HI..

    just want to know if my dslr has a af motor (d90) will purchasing afs lenses improve the quality of the pictures or is it just a waste of $$?
    It depends, best is to reach up more on the lens u are interested and do an comparative anlaysis. (assuming u are comparing the likes of e.g. AFD vs AFS 50 1.4 ).

    For the above example there;s a signifiant improvement in lens construction/elements and diaphragm for AFS which will render smoother bokeh and sharpness but lose out on AF etc..

    HTH
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  11. #11

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericulf View Post
    i see.. so the pictures will turn out the same? just the spd of the autofocusing differs?
    well...if u can't focus in time...u'll get out of focus shots then. then there will be a diff.

  12. #12

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    i don't think there are 2 exactly same lens with and without afs to do a justifiable comparison on photo quality. the closest maybe is the 50mm 1.4d and afs 50 1.4G....even then there's more diffence between the 2 than afs to do comparison....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by RezzShaz View Post
    i don't think there are 2 exactly same lens with and without afs to do a justifiable comparison on photo quality. the closest maybe is the 50mm 1.4d and afs 50 1.4G....even then there's more diffence between the 2 than afs to do comparison....
    Yah bro, tats what i thot too.. The other possibities could be 60mm and 105mm macro TS might be considering
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  14. #14
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericulf View Post
    HI..

    just want to know if my dslr has a af motor (d90) will purchasing afs lenses improve the quality of the pictures or is it just a waste of $$?
    The revision of lenses from AF to AFS often entails having newer optics / coatings as well. so indirectly yes. The AFS is more silent and faster ( except in some uncommon instance where the rotation distance of the AFS 50mm is longer and end up slightly slower than the AF 50mm )

    Is that bit of difference worth the money ? U have to decide

    ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 15th February 2010 at 05:23 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Re: Difference/advantages: AF vs. AF-S.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25028755

    Happy reading and happy new year

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    The revision of lenses from AF to AFS often entails having newer optics / coatings as well. so indirectly yes. The AFS is more silent and faster ( except in some uncommon instance where the rotation distance of the AFS 50mm is longer and end up slightly slower than the AF 50mm )

    Is that bit of difference worth the money ? U have to decide

    ryan

    Ehhh... not all AFS lenses are built with the same af motors. Some are definitely faster than others. And some are slower.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: AFS lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Ehhh... not all AFS lenses are built with the same af motors. Some are definitely faster than others. And some are slower.
    Yea! I mean look at the AF-S 18-55 kit lens! It as slow as hell compared to the AF-D 50mm f/1.8. In terms of focusing speed, it's wise to read individual reviews instead of generalizing

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •