Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So many photos in the hard disk! Do you tagged them?

Default Re: So many photos in the hard disk! Do you tagged them?

Personally I organise and sort my photos in folders titled by photography type followed by location or subject with the individual photos being batch renamed through Métamorphose 2 in the format YYYY-MM-DD T 24HH.MM.SS <Time Zone> (e.g. 2010-02.14 T 20.30.00 +8) and geotagging them with coordinates into the EXIF data automatically.

Just my style of organising,
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 14th February 2010 at 08:37 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Yupe. In fact, three of you all have fairly similar principle of folder and date categorisation.
    This certainly goes a long way in ensuring some order in your collection.

Maybe let me share with you an example: If I want to look for ALL photos taken at 'Great Wall of China' (in Beijing), or ALL photos taken in 'Xiamen', or ALL photos in 'Bangkok' that contain pictures of my 'Child number 1' and my 'Child number 3' with their 'Grandmother'...
    That would be quite a set of parameters that have to be satisfied.
    Of course, Adobe can easily search the whole collection and come up with the final search.
    How many of you actually find yourselves doing that (once in a while, regularly, all the time)?
    Well after that I load stuffs that are keepers into Picasa and/or Facebook which pretty much groups non-events things, like Landscape or Foodie photos together. So if I'm looking for specific things, I'd go here then traceback to the original photos by date

I do tag images uploaded onto Flickr rather intensively with actual technical or scientific terms that no one cares about though with a friend of mine even remarking that I was suffering from OCD for doing so. ^_^"

e.g.

CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Well after that I load stuffs that are keepers into Picasa and/or Facebook which pretty much groups non-events things, like Landscape or Foodie photos together. So if I'm looking for specific things, I'd go here then traceback to the original photos by date
    Ah... wildcat.
    It is interesting that you actually trace and search for photos through Picasa and Facebook. But yes, I can understand what you mean by uploading the 'keepers' to the website albums.
    This is a good method.
    I myself am toying with the idea of putting up some photos on the web for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I do tag images uploaded onto Flickr rather intensively with actual technical or scientific terms that no one cares about though with a friend of mine even remarking that I was suffering from OCD for doing so. ^_^"

Aiyoh... 9V-Orion Images!
    Wah, thank you so much for literally showing me your workflow on Flikr.
    No wonder your friend calls you an OCD....! Hahaha...
    But this was really a good example for me to learn from.
    You have given me a template with which I can develop my own style.
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    i started off with folders, but if you have photos at the same place or same people but different times, or same time different place etc, it becomes quite complex.

used the tagging feature in LR which is pretty simple to use. makes metadata searches quick and easy. just tag them on import and with one click, i can find all the pictures of weddings i've been to, or all the photos of manta rays or whalesharks. it does take a little effort, so i only do the tagging after i'm done processing. no point tagging each photo only to delete 90% of them after processing!
    antacid, yeah you are right.
    I only keyword tag them after I have done the selections.

I am geotagging with my Easytagger GPS and it can record the gps information directly into the exif of the photo. and also it can log the trails at the same time with a 2GB tf card. And I just simply upload my photos to Flickr or Locr and the map is on.

For me, I put them in named folders, if need to, then sub folders. As they are categorized, I find that its easier that way.
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by feebyray View Post
    I am geotagging with my Easytagger GPS and it can record the gps information directly into the exif of the photo. and also it can log the trails at the same time with a 2GB tf card. And I just simply upload my photos to Flickr or Locr and the map is on.
    I can understand why you do that, feebyray.
    That is with regard to geo-tagging.
    Do you do keyword tagging?

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    For me, I put them in named folders, if need to, then sub folders. As they are categorized, I find that its easier that way.
    Certainly, madmartian.
    That is, in my opinion, one of the most important basic categorisation of all our photos.
    However, again my question is with keyword tagging.
    I have only recently found this method rather useful.
    I would keyword tag - with events (e.g. CNY, Reunion Dinner, Lion dance etc. etc..), persons (grandmother, grandfather.. etc.etc.), locations (Chinatown...).
    The usefulness would be more obvious much later when that is when we need to search for something.
    Do you do that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12