Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kx built quality

Default Re: Kx built quality

Dear Bros GENGH and ELAVAN

I did read both of your replied carefully, as mentioned I am a Canon user's for 5 years and been shooting on Manual mode not TV, AV etc.

So doesn't matter to me and I don't require LIVE View shooting cos I like the eyes peice more. Infact Pentax has some strong point that makes me love it.
    1. The AA x4 battery that last for a full day with fully chraged and never ran out of energy.
    2. The built-in SR that can save lens $$$ on those IS & VR lenses.

Why I feel like upgrading is mainly always my shot came out happen to be alway under expose?????? So when I did a comparision earlier on screen , I found that the K-x has a better brightest in low light shooting.

Birds under shade is common, set to higher ISO cause noisy picture, use a tripot and set to lower speed like ISO - 200 , 1//150 using a remote to trigger shutter etc.
    with all thes taking into consideration the photo is still under expose and F-stop is at F/6 (MAX)

Hope that K-x can solve my under expose problem but reality will it, I do not know.

Thankyou and this is my last part of it, so read and advise also thanks for your patience with me.

By the way, Any guideline on the K-x body alone price (what is the cost of it)?
    Best regards,
    ROM stanycjw
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

stanycjw - if a photograph is underexposed and you want to recover shadow details, even with iso100 with a full frame camera, you will probably end up with some amount of noise.

i don't understand why you don't just expose the photo properly and take it from there - bumping up the iso should solve your problem, just make sure exposure is right!

lastly, i don't bird, but shooting anything in the shade usually gives ghastly results. so it is probably better not to shoot at all in such a scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
    Why I feel like upgrading is mainly always my shot came out happen to be alway under expose?????? So when I did a comparision earlier on screen , I found that the K-x has a better brightest in low light shooting.

Birds under shade is common, set to higher ISO cause noisy picture, use a tripot and set to lower speed like ISO - 200 , 1//150 using a remote to trigger shutter etc.
    with all thes taking into consideration the photo is still under expose and F-stop is at F/6 (MAX)
    It's really not a problem with the camera, but your understanding of how metering works with exposure.

Most likely you are using matrix or center weighted metering. The bird is underexposed because the surrounding is brighter and the camera takes that into account when metering and deciding exposure.

If you want to meter for the bird, switch to spot metering, then AE-L on the bird.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    Bro, refering to the point of availability of lens..... which shop will usually stock more??? ...... I know all the shop that carry Pentax can order and all that... but which shop do stock up Pentax/3rd Party Pentax lenses???
    MSC has the most to my knowledge. maybe TK? lesser stock than C/N, harder to buy them off-the-shelf, but if you foresee you won't buy so many lenses, availability will not be that big a problem anymore, compared to when starting out

personally i am ok to hunt for lenses when i was starting out, right now i more or less am happy with what i have, no more agony finding lenses/equipment except when the next LBA strikes again, which i don't know when
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    It's really not a problem with the camera, but your understanding of how metering works with exposure.

Most likely you are using matrix or center weighted metering. The bird is underexposed because the surrounding is brighter and the camera takes that into account when metering and deciding exposure.

If you want to meter for the bird, switch to spot metering, then AE-L on the bird.
    after spot + AE-L, it'll be a blurry mess

i guess don't shoot a bird in the shade, if u must, don't expect too much too..but expect to have more work in front of the computer later..
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Well, if you don't want to AE-L, set the camera to lock AE point to AF point, use spot metering and just center on the bird and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
    Dear Bros GENGH and ELAVAN

I did read both of your replied carefully, as mentioned I am a Canon user's for 5 years and been shooting on Manual mode not TV, AV etc.

So doesn't matter to me and I don't require LIVE View shooting cos I like the eyes peice more. Infact Pentax has some strong point that makes me love it.
    1. The AA x4 battery that last for a full day with fully chraged and never ran out of energy.
    2. The built-in SR that can save lens $$$ on those IS & VR lenses.

Hope that K-x can solve my under expose problem but reality will it, I do not know.

Thankyou and this is my last part of it, so read and advise also thanks for your patience with me.

By the way, Any guideline on the K-x body alone price (what is the cost of it)?
    Best regards,
    ROM stanycjw
    Sorry stanycjw, guess I didn't read everything carefully.

But I also think that exposure is something completely within your control, underexposure doesn't sound like a reason that you should change camera for. Unless you're really going for the lower high ISO noise so you can up your exposure using ISO.

I suppose why you find the pics underexposed is due to bright patches of sunlight in the background? Pentax metering has a very strong tendency to preserve highlights, and that's probably not very different in the K-x.

Nobody reported the price of K-x body only to me yet, can't help you there... do they even sell body only?
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Nobody reported the price of K-x body only to me yet, can't help you there... do they even sell body only?
    Hmm... I guess you haven't notice these two threads:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638921 (price in post #12 is current for SLR-R and Manly)
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632076 (confirmed $1338 at SLR-R, $419 for twin WR kit purchase-with-purchase)

We probably should get fengwei to put up a big sticky reminder to everyone to report quotes and purchases prices to you..

Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    Hmm... I guess you haven't notice these two threads:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638921 (price in post #12 is current for SLR-R and Manly)
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632076 (confirmed $1338 at SLR-R, $419 for twin WR kit purchase-with-purchase)

We probably should get fengwei to put up a big sticky reminder to everyone to report quotes and purchases prices to you..
    Didn't keep up with those two threads, too long and growing way too fast at one point in time. So I put links to them in the pricelist thread to tell people to dig through them themselves. The key information provided by fengwei are the first posts in the threads, so should have more than enough visibility.

I was given quite a few K-x quotes and updates a while ago, but that has died down already.... and never picked up despite all these recent offers.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

OK Thanks pals for all your kind input for me. Meantime, I will try to have a better control over it. After all, this K200D is still the best that I like.

Thanks again.
    Cheers!!!!
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Colors are dyed into the plastic. Not painted. (ie. its part of the plastic color)
    So it is impossible to 'peel' off.

In terms of construction. Its a stainless steel chassis with a plastic shell/casing. So even it it feels plastic, its actually has a metal chassis underneath.

pinholecam - Can you substantiate your claim that the plastic are dyed and not painted on? Where did you get that information?
    Last edited by Scalpel22; 27th February 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalpel22 View Post
    pinholecam - Can you substantiate your claim that the plastic are dyed and not painted on? Where did you get that information?
    You can just feel it yourself I think, painted and dyed will feel different.

Scalpel22, many here can vouch that the K-x is indeed made with colored polycarbonate plastic exterior wrapped on a stainless steel chassis. The body color is definitely not a painted on finish. No need to be a doubting Thomas, you can take our word for it. If you're skeptical, perhaps you can give a call to the local agent's friendly repair tech as he opens up Pentax cameras as part of his job. I have had the opportunity to own the *istDL2, K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K20D and now the K-7 and I can vouch the exterior build quality from Pentax DSLRs are pretty good.

I sense a troll here

If you are not why are you asking such questions?
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Hope its worth my effort (and not troll feeding).
    I'd know this given rudimentary knowledge of plastic manufacturing and working with molding vendors, but here goes :

Pentax website for the Kx :
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-x_Black/
    See the Physical Specifications.
    "Body dimensions (W x H x D): 4.8 x 3.6 x 2.7” Body weight Without battery or removable memory: 18.2 oz Loaded and ready: 20.5 oz (lithium) Construction material(s): Fiber reinforced plastic polymer covers around a rugged stainless steel chassis Weather resistant: n/a Operating temperature: 32-104F "

Here is the info on Fiber reinforced plastic polymer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre-reinforced_plastic

Now coloring is a bit more tricky to find info on. You either need to know how plastic are made (actually formed/molded to be more accurate; since manufactures buy the plastics in chip/pellet/liquid forms). Here is a link to a plastic material supplier site (see colored plastics in 'raw material' form before being formed/molded)
    http://www.coloredplastics.com/

If you are still not convinced, you can always buy a Kx and I can scratch it with a pen knife to show you
    Another tip, just look at the tips or cross section or where there are joins, moving areas. The color should still be consistent, which would not be the case for sprayed on color. In the case of moving areas (eg. battery door), the paint would have fallen off from the movement.

Aiya! don't worry so much lah! just try out at the shop and buy one
    Last edited by pinholecam; 28th February 2010 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Hope its worth my effort (and not troll feeding).
    I'd know this given rudimentary knowledge of plastic manufacturing and working with molding vendors, but here goes :

Pentax website for the Kx :
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-x_Black/
    See the Physical Specifications.
    "Body dimensions (W x H x D): 4.8 x 3.6 x 2.7” Body weight Without battery or removable memory: 18.2 oz Loaded and ready: 20.5 oz (lithium) Construction material(s): Fiber reinforced plastic polymer covers around a rugged stainless steel chassis Weather resistant: n/a Operating temperature: 32-104F "

Here is the info on Fiber reinforced plastic polymer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre-reinforced_plastic

Now coloring is a bit more tricky to find info on. You either need to know how plastic are made (actually formed/molded to be more accurate; since manufactures buy the plastics in chip/pellet/liquid forms). Here is a link to a plastic material supplier site (see colored plastics in 'raw material' form before being formed/molded)
    http://www.coloredplastics.com/

If you are still not convinced, you can always buy a Kx and I can scratch it with a pen knife to show you
    Another tip, just look at the tips or cross section or where there are joins, moving areas. The color should still be consistent, which would not be the case for sprayed on color. In the case of moving areas (eg. battery door), the paint would have fallen off from the movement.

Aiya! don't worry so much lah! just try out at the shop and buy one

Wow. I am surprised to be called a troll when my true intention is to determine the fact. I have studied plastic engineering and when I first saw Kx I suspect that it is painted. So I posted a question here to confirm my doubt. After seeing pinholecam's post, I decided to go for the Kx and went down to Funan. But before I continued my purchase of a red Kx, I asked the same question again and the shop owner was straight to the point. All he did was opened the battery cover and show me the interior of the battery cover of the red Kx. Guess what? It was gray and therefore could not have been dyed as part of the plastic. The revelation did not deter me from buying the Kx but instead of red I chose white so that if the paint does wear off, the contrast will not be obvious.

Hope my question did not commit any offense here but rather help guide future Kx owner to be aware of all facts before committing to buy this excellent and value for money DSLR!

All these comments remind me of the Allegory of the Cave.
    Last edited by Scalpel22; 3rd March 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Wow. I am surprised to be called a troll when my true intention is to determine the fact. I have studied plastic engineering and when I first saw Kx I suspect that it is painted. So I posted a question here to confirm my doubt. After seeing pinholecam's post, I decided to go for the Kx and went down to Funan. But before I continued my purchase of a red Kx, I asked the same question again and the shop owner was straight to the point. All he did was opened the battery cover and show me the interior of the battery cover of the red Kx. Guess what? It was gray and therefore could not have been dyed as part of the plastic. The revelation did not deter me from buying the Kx but instead of red I chose white so that if the paint does wear off, the contrast will not be obvious.

Hope my question did not commit any offense here but rather help guide future Kx owner to be aware of all facts before committing to buy this excellent and value for money DSLR!

no shut up your a troll!
    hehe just kiddin. i think he readily jumpd to the conclusion you were a troll.
    i think it is painted but the plastic inside is still red(i have a K-x Red).. looking at the battery cover and sd card cover the plastic is also red but a little pale/lighter compare to the redbody paint on the outside.
    anyways enjoy your new purchase

Hey Scapel22, thanks for the insight of the kx's plastic colouring. Many people's purchase decision like yours are primary the performance and value of the kx and secondly the choices of colours to choose from. Not really sure if they mind if the body is dyed or painted. I guessed you are being accused of a troll is because of the way you have phrased your question. Nevermind lah, i'm glad you've made a good choice of purchasing the white kx, go out and shoot! Oh, remember to post some photos back, it's part of photography yah?
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

Lol. Glad you made a decision on the Kx and hope you will enjoy using the camera.
    Sometimes its hard to tell on the forum (who is a troll); Its just so easy to type 1 line questions for the sake of doing 1 line questions.
    Sometimes the helpful end up wasting time and effort looking up information (and links) to these questions when the one who queried have no intention of listening.
    The emoticons do help.

the k-7 is also painted, a car is also painted. by the time the paint on the k-x wears off, you may not even be interested nor neurotic about paint anymore..

a plastic engineer will tell you to be aware of the plastic, the electrical engineer will tell u to be aware of the electronics, the mechanical engineer will tell u to be aware to be aware of the shutter, buttons etc mechanism..

there are too many things to be aware of man...

what if i told you the pentamirror is cheap, the shutter is cheap, etcetcetcetcetcetcetc?
    Last edited by elavan; 3rd March 2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Gallery

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast