Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Hey guys!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Woodlands.
    Posts
    36

    Default Hey guys!

    I need help in getting a steady camera!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by fireflame88 View Post
    I need help in getting a steady camera!
    hello and welcome to CS.
    what is your budget?
    getting 1st or 2nd hand?
    is there any specific genre of photography you are into?
    raphaeL xander
    my flickr

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Woodlands.
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by xander5480 View Post
    hello and welcome to CS.
    what is your budget?
    getting 1st or 2nd hand?
    is there any specific genre of photography you are into?
    Erm budget wise... I dun mind spending on something that is worth the money. But something less than 1000SG dollars.

    I would prob get first hand.

    I like taking pictures of views, people, car. But best of all. Pictures for memories. That is the best.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by fireflame88 View Post
    I need help in getting a steady camera!
    how steady u want sia?

    digital, prosumer or DSLR??

  5. #5

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by fireflame88 View Post
    Erm budget wise... I dun mind spending on something that is worth the money. But something less than 1000SG dollars.

    I would prob get first hand.

    I like taking pictures of views, people, car. But best of all. Pictures for memories. That is the best.
    trying looking into entry level range, i think is good enough and is around 1000SG range.
    for eg, nikon d3000(with kit lens) or canon 500d(with kit lens) [not sure about other brands]. you can start googling the brand and model no. (dpreview) for comparison. =D
    raphaeL xander
    my flickr

  6. #6
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Welcome to CS
    All cameras are steady. But how steady are you?
    Take the shot!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Ahh... I know the answer to your question. Cameras with built in image stabilizer!
    For dSLR, I think Sony, Pentax and Oly have such features. For PNS, I would think all have some sort of stabilizer built in. There you have it, steady cameras

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Woodlands.
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Welcome to CS
    All cameras are steady. But how steady are you?
    Im pretty steady all right. Thank you guys for the help. The thing is Im really a noob in camera and I dun even know what to compare in cameras. But the good thing is im willing to learn. I wanna go for a DSLR as to me i felt that i can take better pictures with it atm. And I mean i do not know but i feel that canon and nikon is better off than other brands which I do not want to name. Correct me if Im wrong. I accept all opinions. And thanks Xander5480 for the help. Hopefully nikon d3000 and canon 500d is good for me!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    if u wan a steady DSLR, then u should get a Sony, Pentax or Olympus (selected models) as their camera's sensor is steadied already, so their camera body is steady.

    Canon and Nikon need to get steady lens then can steady


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by fireflame88 View Post
    Im pretty steady all right. Thank you guys for the help. The thing is Im really a noob in camera and I dun even know what to compare in cameras. But the good thing is im willing to learn. I wanna go for a DSLR as to me i felt that i can take better pictures with it atm. And I mean i do not know but i feel that canon and nikon is better off than other brands which I do not want to name. Correct me if Im wrong. I accept all opinions. And thanks Xander5480 for the help. Hopefully nikon d3000 and canon 500d is good for me!
    Yeah you are dead wrong

    Yeah yeah yeah, nikon and canon are only better off in doing marketing to brain wash the masses that their cameras are better than other brands when it is a total myth.....

    I am using pentax so here is something about pentax K-x, the highly acclaimed entry level that most who has knowledge of it consider it as the best entry level dslr at a decent price $782 with kit lens.

    Time magazine (Best travel gadget 2009)

    http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...933477,00.html

    Dpreview

    Extract (Imagine a entry level $700+ pentax dslr that can even beat Nikon/Canon DSLR costing $2000++

    With this performance the K-x easily beats most other APS-C cameras when shooting JPEGs, including much more expensive models. If you need better low light performance than this, going full-frame is pretty much your only option

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page26.asp

    Loads of other raving reviews for this K-X (Just 2 here but if you just google, you will find lots other

    http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/products/pentax-k-x

    http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/...sample-photos/

    Best of all it comes in fun colors that all other dslr makers does not have


  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Mr Fireemblem, though I would certainly agree with you that the Pentax KX is
    one of the most attractive propositions in the entry level DSLR market, I would encourage you to refrain from making inflammatory comments about Nikon and Canon.
    If these 2 brands are only good at brainwashing consumers, there must be a lot of gullible idiots here on Clubsnap buying C and N cameras.
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    always remember, getting a DSLR is not just for the sake of getting a camera to start with. You are getting the entire system and you need to build your lens lineup further down the road. I strongly recommend you go to shops and try each camera body yourself.

    As for "steady" cams, most budget bodies come with either in-body IS or IS-enabled kit lens.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Mr Fireemblem, though I would certainly agree with you that the Pentax KX is
    one of the most attractive propositions in the entry level DSLR market, I would encourage you to refrain from making inflammatory comments about Nikon and Canon.
    If these 2 brands are only good at brainwashing consumers, there must be a lot of gullible idiots here on Clubsnap buying C and N cameras.
    Hi there,

    Please do not put your own definition into what i said. I am saying marketing by C/N has obviously made the masses believe C/N are better.

    And you cannot deny that is the truth cos how often do you see people coming in here posting that they think C/N are way better? If it is the truth, how is that inflammatory?

    Even thou i am using Pentax now, I can freely admit that I was part of this masses that thought C/N was way better too. My initial choice after doing "lots of research" was a D90. I thought absolutely nothing about Pentax. So i am just another example of what i am referring to.

  14. #14
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    All DSLRs nowadays is really at par to each other, just need to have a lookout for each and other brands, have a feel and research on it's pros and cons. that's the correct way to do.

    Just look for the priceguides to guard yourself for being chopped.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    Hi there,

    Please do not put your own definition into what i said. I am saying marketing by C/N has obviously made the masses believe C/N are better.

    And you cannot deny that is the truth cos how often do you see people coming in here posting that they think C/N are way better? If it is the truth, how is that inflammatory?

    Even thou i am using Pentax now, I can freely admit that I was part of this masses that thought C/N was way better too. My initial choice after doing "lots of research" was a D90. I thought absolutely nothing about Pentax. So i am just another example of what i am referring to.
    For goodness sake. Every company is trying to brainwash the masses that they are the best (in something). Sony is doing it, Pentax is doing it, Nikon is doing it, Canon is doing it, Microsoft is doing it, Apple is doing it. Even Shinco is doing it. It is more commonly known as advertising and differentiation. No need to demonize any specific brands. It is just purely business.

    What the people chooses to think, how they choose to act (elitism or otherwise), is their own choice. Nothing to do with Nikon, Canon, you or me.

    You have much to learn about the real world.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th February 2010 at 05:47 PM.

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    And TS, newer is usually better. Remember to check out the newer releases from all the manufacturers. The playing field is getting much more level between brands. Just that some of the (non-leading) players in the industry are trying more aggressively to gain more market share by offering more value for less money. Pentax is one of them, and so is Sony. You as a consumer may get more benefit due to this.

    And a small caveat. Nikon Sony and Pentax are all using Sony-manufactured sensors now. It seems that the Kx is using the same sensor similar to the one in A500, D90, D5000, D300. Just that the Kx sensor seems to be slightly updated and adjusted for the better performance in ISO. remember performance in ISO is not just in the sensor, but the image processing... like NR algorithms, curve adjustments etc... The Sony A550 actually has the new 14mp sensor. I wouldn't be surprised if the next wave of enthusiast cameras will start using that same sensor this year.

    Exciting times indeed.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th February 2010 at 06:18 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by fireflame88 View Post
    I need help in getting a steady camera!
    hi

    i am a newbie too... i got my camera just a few months ago... my advice is to get a low end model and start playing with it... and soon u will know what u want....

    there is always never a most suitable answer to this question.... unless you have lots of money, you will never be satisfied with what you own... but it is important to maximise what u have (i mean what u will have) first...


  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by fireflame88 View Post
    I need help in getting a steady camera!
    BTW...

    This is the most steady cam

    http://www.steadicam.com/

  19. #19

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Ultimately a camera is but a tool. How well it will be used largely depends on the user.

    The only exception I can think where the camera limits the user is custom functions like multiple exposures (avail on N, but not on C), DR shooting (only avail on Fuji) and whatnot. However, with a little creativity and some practice, it is a minor issue.

    Do your best to make do with what you have, otherwise it'll be an eternal spending spree with little effect.
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

  20. #20
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Hey guys!

    Hey guys,

    I am a Canon user, but I am not sure if Canon is good for the TS or not, but all I can say is that Ken Watanabe sure have helped made up the minds of those unsure about buying a dSLR, but I have no findings to back up that statement.

    As you don't see many professionals shooting with other brands, other than the white (instantly associated with Canon) or dark/black (instantly associated with Nikon), the N & C are the only brands that any newbie would consider buying a dSLR. Ashamedly, I did the same. However, after meeting some other friends, begin to realise that there were other brands beside those 2 dark and light. As Pentax doesn't do much advertising, eventually it would not register on most newbies unless they've done their homework.

    However, as a virgin newbie I recommend a Pentax as initial investment to start is low and if you have only $1k, buying into a Pentax would leave you with some leftover to buy other accessories like batteries, etc. And lenses are cheaper as stabilisation is on-body and not on lens.

    Consider a Pentax kit at $782 as quoted by Fireemblem, and a 500D by Canon at 1299 RRP, you save more than $500! As I'm not familiar with Nikon, I can't compare that for you.

    So, take it from me, look at the Pentax Kx.

    HTH.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •