Thread: Chinatown - will it be deserted tonight?

Default Chinatown - will it be deserted tonight?

Quick question. With reunion dinners going on tonight, is Chinatown area likely to be like a ghost town? Just wanted to ask before packing the camera and kids into the car and heading that way for a walk around. Would rather not get there and find it deserted!

Cheers, Ben

Default Re: Chinatown - will it be deserted tonight?

I'm not too sure how crowded it will be tonight, but I'm sure it be crowded tonight at 12am as most of us will be at Bugis, near Fu Lu Shou complex temple to get our joss stick in. It'll be nice if I can snap some crowded shots.

Quote Originally Posted by benruane View Post
    Quick question. With reunion dinners going on tonight, is Chinatown area likely to be like a ghost town? Just wanted to ask before packing the camera and kids into the car and heading that way for a walk around. Would rather not get there and find it deserted!

Cheers, Ben
    Are you an expatriate? On the contrary Chinatown will be the most crowded place on planet earth tonight. Ppl will be there to do last minute shopping for their CNY, some to enjoy the celebration and some also for the countdown.

Ghost town would probably be tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

@sci80899 - well, I'm a foreigner, yes (a kiwi). Been here for 9 years and I'm a PR but I've never been down to Chinatown on or around CNY. Amazing, I know. My wife is Indian so Deepavali and the like are festivals I'm more familiar with. Anyway, I just always had it in my head that the eve of CNY was very quiet as most folks are having reunion dinners with family at home.

I've learned something tonight, so thanks! Will hit the road soon

Cheers, Ben

PS - when I changed my avatar recently - from one of my coffee photos to a photo of my ugly mug - I thought my identity as a foreigner would be fairly self-evident! Haha well I guess there's room for mis-interpretation everywhere.

But, and just for the record, yes I am a foreigner (NZ), I've lived I'm S'pore since Jan '01 and my avatar is, in fact, me

Cheers, Ben

Chinatown will be the most crowded and buzzing with people tonight. Last min buys, road closure, fireworks at midnight are just some sights.

Enjoy urself there.

Cheers, Ben
    no, it is not.

there are always people going around that time to hunt for clearance goodies. so in some cases it might get more crowded.

benruane, it will be even more crowded as many would take a trip down to Chinatown after reunion dinner.
    And it would be even more jammed along the small lanes of Chinatiown after 12am when it climaxes with the arrival of the New Year.

you have to go to chinatown (temple street, mosque street etc) to soak up the atmosphere. it is quite an experience. from chinese new year goodies like pineapple tarts, nuts, cakes to accessories. gets crowded from 9pm onwards to about 1ish.

Thanks for the replies.

@sci80899 - well, I'm a foreigner, yes (a kiwi). Been here for 9 years and I'm a PR but I've never been down to Chinatown on or around CNY. Amazing, I know. My wife is Indian so Deepavali and the like are festivals I'm more familiar with. Anyway, I just always had it in my head that the eve of CNY was very quiet as most folks are having reunion dinners with family at home.

I've learned something tonight, so thanks! Will hit the road soon

Cheers, Ben
    On the contrary, its probably going to be one of the busiest nights of the year with people getting some last minute shopping in and like minded foreigners going down to get a piece of the action

More like a 'Fire Sale' tonight in ChinTown tonight.....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Went down to Chinatown this afternoon for a quick snap around and to take in the festivities...

Still not too crowded, plenty of walking space. But I suppose it'll probably be packed like sardines tonight. If you wish to stay away from the crowds, I would recommend going Chinatown mid-afternoon of the eve of CNY. Well, a little too late to mention now, but you could keep this in mind next year...
    "Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" | Flickr

just came back from Chinatown... boy it was so darn crowded!

However the biscuits are selling really cheap at 5 for $10!
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

just got back too. wasn't too bad. waited only 25 mins to park my car. bought 40 oranges for $9.

PS - when I changed my avatar recently - from one of my coffee photos to a photo of my ugly mug - I thought my identity as a foreigner would be fairly self-evident! Haha well I guess there's room for mis-interpretation everywhere.

But, and just for the record, yes I am a foreigner (NZ), I've lived I'm S'pore since Jan '01 and my avatar is, in fact, me

Cheers, Ben
    NZ

Hello friend, missing Chinatown might be okay, but you must try our uniquely Singapore ...Low Hey Yu sang, an auspicious dish which even our President, Senior Minister and Prime Minister would not miss. Which keeps Singapore prosperous all these years !
    One very important advice, you must chant the word..." Huat Ah !" as you mix and toss the Yu Sang.
    This is an important ritual which many successful biz entrp'r will participate yearly.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 14th February 2010 at 09:42 PM.

See, just saw our Prime Minister tossing the " Yu Sang " happily together with the staff of Fairmont Hotel over the news.