Thread: Convergence

Default Convergence

My first post in the Critique Corner, this shot was taken at the Lower Peirce Reservoir.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Basically in terms of composition, lighting and shooting techniques. The experts' c&c's will help this newbie yet a willing learner improve his skills.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This photo aims to show the contrast between the cloudy skies (a brewing storm), the serenity of the calm waters, and the roughness of the rocks and how these elements compliment the unyielding concrete structure. A longer than usual exposure was used to enhance the reflections on the waters.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    This photo was taken at twilight with cloudy skies.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I believe this can be improved further, maybe with a bit more custom WB settings. Comments and critiques are most welcome and higly appreciated.

Default Re: Convergence

The sense of convergence is pretty much lost (or ineffective) with such a tight crop. I would rather keep the composition simpler without so many cluttered details vying for attention. Try excluding the rocks in the foreground and have more of the landscapes in the background. If its the sky you want to work with, then show more of it. Its cloudy but there isn't much evidence of a storm brewing. The light is rather flat, bland and uncontrasty which doesn't help achieve your intentions. I suspect it also didn't give you much to experiment with as far as exposure is concerned.

hi there, it's not too bad an effort. it's nicer after taking a second look.

1. i would wait for a sunny-ier day to get the nice contrast in the sky esp during evening. otherwise you will get a wash out. you are trying to show too many things in your pic. the storm, the calmness, the convergence, the elements complimenting the unyielding concrete structure

2. too much rocks too little bridge. your rocks currently occupy abt 25% of your pic so i would reduce it to abt 15%.

3. distortion at the terrace. be mindful of the distortion. either zoom out alittle or PP to correct it.

4. framing. i would have stand further away so that the convergence would have been like 35 degrees to the horizon rather than 15 degrees. i would also frame the rails from the top-right hand corner.
    Last edited by pokiemon; 15th February 2010 at 03:40 PM.

pure shot. nice imo
    not to impress but shoot to express

Nice shot on the whole. But agree that the clutter of rocks can be distracting. Will be nicer to take the shot without the rocks.

Nice. I think I would crop away the rocks. The shelter is also slightly tilted ?

Blog Entries

convergence - usually means the coming together of....

i would say perspective needs work here ..... as that convergence seems to be going from left to right ..... my preference is for that convergence to be coming DIRECTLY at/to the viewer either head-on or from one side
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Thanks for the insightful critiques. First, please don't take the title literally; i've taken the liberty to be more "playful" with the semantics so guess I owe some explaining on why I chose the title. The theme of the photo was the "convergence" or "union" of the elements; air, water, earth and fire (though the sun was barely visible the time the scene was shot). =)

I hear you, and I agree that there are too much rocks in the photo (i'll make sure to recompose this the next round I'm at Lower Peirce). I also agree that a sunnier sky would add more dynamism to the shot; too bad, I was there during a stormy day (15 mins after I took the shot, it rained). The slight distortion was a tradeoff as I was using a UWA; I'd most likely correct this through post-processing next time.

I actually wanted the rocks in the foreground to give the photo a steep perspective feel. I may have to shoot this next time with less rocks.

Many thanks to your critiques; these will help me a lot as I continue to explore and hopefully improve my shooting skills.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=shutterwarrior;5872853]I actually wanted the rocks in the foreground to give the photo a steep perspective feel. I may have to shoot this next time with less rocks.

QUOTE]

hmmm.... then get a whole lot nearer to the rocks for a near-far perspective ?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Thanks, ed. That was what I actually did in another shot; i had positioned my lens just a couple of inches above the water:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/...28566000_b.jpg

Many thanks to the comments and critiques; these will come in handy for my next shots (especially the tips on composition).

My personal Critique on the picture.. i will point out the strength and weakness according to my own taste.

Strength

1. concept is very good.
    2. exposure wise not bad.

Weakness

1. composition is not balanced. too much pile of rocks unless you intended to shoot the rocks and the bridge is just your background.

2. sky needs more drama by adding warmth colors.

3. it would be nice if there is a person standing in the bridge it adds a story to the whole frame.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll pay this place a visit again one of these days and try to apply what you experts have suggested.