Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by s1chen View Post
    If you are on the EOS 5D MK1, then I will say you will be stunt with the M43 like the EP2 or GF1 image Quality over the EOS. If you are on the EOS 5D MK2, then it will be a subjective as I will vote the M43 for contrast and 5 for resolution (almost double the pixel).

    Note that M43 main weakness still poor ISO over the APS. But you are are driving something like ISO100 or at most 200, you will be impress with the performance.

    any other weakness is that the M43 still have not had lots of great choice of the wide angle. But when come to tele photo, they are spoilt for choices.. you can use lots of very outstanding lenses.

    Example:
    1) Panasonic Leica 25mm
    2) Contax 25mm
    3) Contax 50mm
    4) Contax 100mm
    5) Leica 24 M and R Mount
    6) Leica 50 M and R Mount
    7) Leica 90 M and R Mount
    Hi sichen, I respect your opinion that the Contax/M43 is better than the Contax/EOS 5D combination in overall IQ. I am not a very technical old man but I do frequent many review sites and I have yet to find one making such a claim. May I ask whether this is your personal opinion or if it's from a review source, please let me know which one. Also, if I may, I would like to repost this comparison to another thread for further discussion. Thank you.
    Home is where the heart is.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Hi sichen, I respect your opinion that the Contax/M43 is better than the Contax/EOS 5D combination in overall IQ. I am not a very technical old man but I do frequent many review sites and I have yet to find one making such a claim. May I ask whether this is your personal opinion or if it's from a review source, please let me know which one. Also, if I may, I would like to repost this comparison to another thread for further discussion. Thank you.
    Hi, The opinion is based on my collection. photos are subjective, my cup of tea may not be yours. You will have to try it out to decide for yourselves.

    I never come across any serious review of a Canon vs a M43 especially a 5 vs a GF1. (In most case, no one will bother this test due to the fact that the 5 is 3 times price

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by s1chen View Post
    Hi, The opinion is based on my collection. photos are subjective, my cup of tea may not be yours. You will have to try it out to decide for yourselves.

    I never come across any serious review of a Canon vs a M43 especially a 5 vs a GF1. (In most case, no one will bother this test due to the fact that the 5 is 3 times price
    I think it's not only the price, but the IQ of the 5D is still far superior at this point in time.
    Home is where the heart is.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    I think it's not only the price, but the IQ of the 5D is still far superior at this point in time.
    haha, I dare to be different. There is some thing canon digital will not be able to achieve over the film or even then 4/3 sensor... enjoy your photography.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    You guys should get together one day and do a controlled test! The results should be interesting.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    You guys should get together one day and do a controlled test! The results should be interesting.
    I am not convinced as I have seen photos of Contax lenses shot on both GF1 and EP2. Anyway, I am looking for a backup camera, most likely a film RF or SLR. M43 has a long way to go to challenge FF DSLR.
    Home is where the heart is.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    I am not convinced as I have seen photos of Contax lenses shot on both GF1 and EP2. Anyway, I am looking for a backup camera, most likely a film RF or SLR. M43 has a long way to go to challenge FF DSLR.
    Good Film SLR is still one of the best to extract the best out from the old Contax lenses. The only problem is difficult to find a good film development shop today since their machine are all digitized.

    BTW, I did not say FF DSLR is poor over the M43, I only referring to the Canon body... My dream will be the Leica M9 and if I return to DSLR, Sony FF DSLR.

    Best of luck to your search for a good Contax SLR Body.
    Last edited by s1chen; 17th February 2010 at 08:35 AM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by s1chen View Post
    Good Film SLR is still one of the best to extract the best out from the old Contax lenses. The only problem is difficult to find a good film development shop today since their machine are all digitized.

    BTW, I did not say FF DSLR is poor over the M43, I only referring to the Canon body... My dream will be the Leica M9 and if I return to DSLR, Sony FF DSLR.

    Best of luck to your search for a good Contax SLR Body.
    Thank you for your wishes.

    I think I know what you are saying, but when you are stuck with a range of lenses all configured for Canon you will have no choice but to live with it. Making a switch now or going to M43 is out of the question. I have ZE and Contax, Leica, Nikon and Pentax lenses and I am quite happy using them on my old venerable, EOS 5D. Yes, M9 is always at the back of my mind, and Sony FF with Zeiss 24-70f2.8 and 135f1.8 is another of my near future dream.

    What's wrong with the Canon body?
    Home is where the heart is.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post

    What's wrong with the Canon body?
    Nothing wrong with the body, they are built like a tank. It is the sensor they use, it just don't have the kick (color reproduction, toner, contrast) like some of the competitor. But this is live, you win some, you loose some.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    I'm gonna rock the boat a little :P

    I hear the recommendations for the Contax SLRs, but if you want cheap, light, good and functional, and since you already have the adapters for Canon cameras, try their Elan FSLRs. Very similar feel to the rest of the EOS system that you are already used to.

    Film can be addictive. Load up the Velvia, process E-6, and be prepared to be hooked, especially with glass like yours - I was......... (Zeiss 80 planar and Provia100F got me back into film )

  11. #31

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post

    Film can be addictive. Load up the Velvia, process E-6, and be prepared to be hooked, especially with glass like yours - I was......... (Zeiss 80 planar and Provia100F got me back into film )
    Yes, the Velvia 50 or the Reala 100...

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by s1chen View Post
    Nothing wrong with the body, they are built like a tank. It is the sensor they use, it just don't have the kick (color reproduction, toner, contrast) like some of the competitor. But this is live, you win some, you loose some.
    So far, from what I have seen and used, and also by frequenting the alternate gear forum
    at FM, most are using EOS 5D, 5D2 and 1Ds bodies. Apart from these cameras from being the most adaptable, they seem to be of preference. Also, Canon is a major sensor manufacturer and their technology is by no means inferior. So, I am quite baffled when you first made this statement regarding the Canon body. "Color reproduction, toner, contrast" in your own words, are traits that can be quite subjective. Personally, the reason I choose alternate lenses for Canon bodies is because I do not like the result of Canon lenses on their bodies. Likewise, I don't like the color rendering of GF1, EP1, Olympus and Nikon bodies when used with their native lenses. But this does not mean that their sensors are so inferior. Anyway, I am not a defender of Canon's sensor technology as I know too little to really make a technical choice. I enjoy photography and gears will come and go, like moment in time, when not captured, is gone forever.
    Last edited by Anthony Lee; 17th February 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Home is where the heart is.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    I'm gonna rock the boat a little :P

    I hear the recommendations for the Contax SLRs, but if you want cheap, light, good and functional, and since you already have the adapters for Canon cameras, try their Elan FSLRs. Very similar feel to the rest of the EOS system that you are already used to.

    Film can be addictive. Load up the Velvia, process E-6, and be prepared to be hooked, especially with glass like yours - I was......... (Zeiss 80 planar and Provia100F got me back into film )
    I will look up on the Elan FSLR, thanks.
    Home is where the heart is.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    So far, from what I have seen and used, and also by frequenting the alternate gear forum
    at FM, most are using EOS 5D, 5D2 and 1Ds bodies. Apart from these cameras from being the most adaptable, they seem to be of preference. Also, Canon is a major sensor manufacturer and their technology is by no means inferior. So, I am quite baffled when you first made this statement regarding the Canon body. "Color reproduction, toner, contrast" in your own words, are traits that can be quite subjective. Personally, the reason I choose alternate lenses for Canon bodies is because I do not like the result of Canon lenses on their bodies. Likewise, I don't like the color rendering of GF1, EP1, Olympus and Nikon bodies when used with their native lenses. But this does not mean that their sensors are so inferior. Anyway, I am not a defender of Canon's sensor technology as I know too little to really make a technical choice. I enjoy photography and gears will come and go, like moment in time, when not captured, is gone forever.
    The EOS is true and stand firm on number 1 pole for their popularity, reliability...etc. They are most commonly use for reporters, sports, ..etc where color reproduction may not be the number 1 concern. Capturing that moment of truth is the most important since I total agreed that the EOS achieve most of the merit like fastest AF, least shutter lag, least vibration, outstanding high ISO reproduction in noise, value for money. But I stand firm that canon does not reproduce a great color, contrast etc since I own the EOS1 and EOS20D, collection of the primes and L Zoom lens to make this statement. I also couple them with the contax 25mm F2.8 German lens, 50mm F1.4 and 100mm F2.0 but the photos just lack of soul. I do not mean that the GF1 or other cheaper body achieve all win result over the EOS, but regret that when come to dimension of the photo, the canon fail me.

    At first, i regret the purchase of the GF1 with the native lens as night shot is terrible at ISO more than 400. but when couple with the contax and Pana Leica primes lens, it change my thought. The color capture and develop carefully is more dimension than my old canons. Yes, I have hundreds of photo taken with the canons and none of them is comparable with the pictures taken from my contax on film.. and now the GF1 with the good lens gain my interest to take more living photos.

    Sorry, I am no other motive here, I came from the film times and it may seem to you that I am wacking canon... I share my thought cos you are a contax lenses owner and I feel that you also deserve to get the best out from some of those great lenses.

    I have consider the Sony A900 but too bad, the contax will never work on the Sony.. hence the last option is the cheapo GF1. Hopefully, i can upgrade to the old timer Leica M9 in no time.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by s1chen View Post
    The EOS is true and stand firm on number 1 pole for their popularity, reliability...etc. They are most commonly use for reporters, sports, ..etc where color reproduction may not be the number 1 concern. Capturing that moment of truth is the most important since I total agreed that the EOS achieve most of the merit like fastest AF, least shutter lag, least vibration, outstanding high ISO reproduction in noise, value for money. But I stand firm that canon does not reproduce a great color, contrast etc since I own the EOS1 and EOS20D, collection of the primes and L Zoom lens to make this statement. I also couple them with the contax 25mm F2.8 German lens, 50mm F1.4 and 100mm F2.0 but the photos just lack of soul. I do not mean that the GF1 or other cheaper body achieve all win result over the EOS, but regret that when come to dimension of the photo, the canon fail me.

    At first, i regret the purchase of the GF1 with the native lens as night shot is terrible at ISO more than 400. but when couple with the contax and Pana Leica primes lens, it change my thought. The color capture and develop carefully is more dimension than my old canons. Yes, I have hundreds of photo taken with the canons and none of them is comparable with the pictures taken from my contax on film.. and now the GF1 with the good lens gain my interest to take more living photos.

    Sorry, I am no other motive here, I came from the film times and it may seem to you that I am wacking canon... I share my thought cos you are a contax lenses owner and I feel that you also deserve to get the best out from some of those great lenses.

    I have consider the Sony A900 but too bad, the contax will never work on the Sony.. hence the last option is the cheapo GF1. Hopefully, i can upgrade to the old timer Leica M9 in no time.
    I am a little confused. You said that you used Contax CY mount lenses on EOS 1 and 20D and the photos lack 'soul'. Can you illustrate this further? Best is to post some pictures of what you meant, lack of 'soul'. Also, I will appreciate if you can also post some pictures of the same lens used on your GF1 to illustrate the differences, photos with 'soul'. I cannot picture what you meant as I am using Contax lenses on my EOS 5D and find them very vibrant, vivid and extremely natural in its color rendition. Anyway, I thank you for taking time here to provide your feedback on your experience.
    Home is where the heart is.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Cheap and good Yashica FX3

  17. #37

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Saw an Aria in the B&S earlier, if you're still interested

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,624

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Cheap and good Yashica FX3

    Very reliable too and accurate metering at that
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Thanks guys.

    I took a long CNY break away from CS so that I can spend more time with my family, especially my grandson, and took some wonderful photos.

    I will take my time to buy a good SLR and I have not decided on which, but most likely a Contax or an Olympus as I have a good range of OM lenses as well. Once again, many thanks for your wonderful advise.

    Cheers.
    Home is where the heart is.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Best film SLR for my Contax CY mount lenses.

    Hi Anthony,

    Thanks for your advice on Zeiss lenses the other time.

    I'll vote for Yashica FX2000Super. Cheap. Totally Mechanical and least worries on servicing and maintenance. No battery can still operate. Viewfinder is bright and big. As a backup, this is the wisest choice. You wouldn't want a backup body with electronic problems which often comes if camera is left unused for a long time.

    Next cheap and good, if you really must have Contax: 167MT.

    I have both. I think like you. I use the Zeiss lenses on both EOS and Film bodies.

    I also agree with you the MFT has a long long way to match FF. Anyway this two comparisons is pretty pointless. It's like comparing a motorbike with a car.

    (BTW, I have since solved my earlier manual focusing issues with the 5D.) Thanks so much!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •