Thread: Font size is bigger when laptop is hooked up to external monitor

Default Font size is bigger when laptop is hooked up to external monitor

Hi, anyone knows why is this so?

I hooked up my laptop to my desktop monitor (22 in), but the font looks different from my laptop or even when I use the desktop.
    The original fonts in both laptop & desktop are fine sharp prints in their respective screens. But when its hooked up to the 22 in monitor from the laptop, the fonts are bigger & thicker, just like bold prints.
    Anyone to enlighten me. TIA
    Take the shot!

Default Re: Font size is bigger when laptop is hooked up to external monitor

should be resolution changed...

If you are using Windows XP.

Control Panel --> Display --> Appearance --> Font Size

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    should be resolution changed...
    But why is it so? I thought its wysiwyg? When its hooked back on to the desktop, its back to the nice slim font again & correct me if I'm wrong, both output is from the graphics card? If it is, then why the change of resolution? Thank you
    Take the shot!

are you using extended desktop or clone?
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    If you are using Windows XP.

Control Panel --> Display --> Appearance --> Font Size
    Not XP, its vista
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    are you using extended desktop or clone?
    Sorry, don't get you
    My desktop has problems starting & that's why I hooked up my laptop to the bigger monitor. Then I realised the difference in the fonts
    Take the shot!

You need to make sure that the resolution you are outputting to the monitor is the monitor's native resolution.
    Alpha

Not just the resolution...aspect ratio also important...as some monitors do come with wider screens than notebooks.

What you need to do is to at least install the latest display driver in your notebook for the monitor, so that you can access all the various resolutions of your monitor from your notebook.

Use Windows' Control Panel > Display Settings to control reso for ext. monitor.

Get a Mac, it's easier...haha
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You need to make sure that the resolution you are outputting to the monitor is the monitor's native resolution.
    Oh, thanks rashkae. Will hunt for it. Just chkecked, laptop resolution & monitor resolution is the same > 1280x768
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    Not just the resolution...aspect ratio also important...as some monitors do come with wider screens than notebooks.

What you need to do is to at least install the latest display driver in your notebook for the monitor, so that you can access all the various resolutions of your monitor from your notebook.

Use Windows' Control Panel > Display Settings to control reso for ext. monitor.

Thanks lifeinmacro. Mac? You sponsor me? haha
    Last edited by madmartian; 12th February 2010 at 04:18 PM.
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post

If you only knew the daily struggles the professors I know have with getting their macs to display properly on external monitors and projectors...
    Alpha

Not to start any brand wars here but..it's really easy to detect and change the resolution lol.
    a simple click on the "detect display" button and selecting the designated resolution simply solves the problem