Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lenses for taking photos of infants and kids

Default Re: lenses for taking photos of infants and kids

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post
    I see!

so theres no way to bounce a flash built in a PnS cam?
    not a bounce perhaps but you can use a diffuser. Not sure if you have any standard diffusers for PnS.

i succesfully used my handkerchief as a diffuser and it worked perfect. It was a white one and i just wrapped it around the flash part, was rather tricky and not so neat but pictures came out well.

DeepS
    Nikon D90|Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G|SB400|Nikon 35mm f/1.8G
    BBB:<Some> 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post
    I see!

so theres no way to bounce a flash built in a PnS cam?
    You can if the ceiling is low and you can adjust some settings like ISO and flash power on you pns.

Make a reflective flash card by pasting aluminum foil over a card or just use a mirror.
    Place that at an angle to the flash such that it directs the flash upwards to the ceiling.
    Adjust ISO and/or flash power accordingly if you can.

Thank you all!
    I read up some on blurry photos but I asked that cos I needed something which would allow for faster shutter speed. When shooting my baby, it's usually indoor and I don't like to use flash because he's a newborn, barely a month old. I'd like to catch his expressions while he's asleep, so when I shoot with the kit lens, the shutter speed has to be really slow for the photo to be sufficiently 'bright'.

I'm contemplating the 50mm/f1.8 but I'm also wondering if there is a better lens that will be good for transition as he grows up. Not too sure if the 35mm/f1.8 would be good too?

Quote Originally Posted by syxl00 View Post
    I'd like to catch his expressions while he's asleep, so when I shoot with the kit lens, the shutter speed has to be really slow for the photo to be sufficiently 'bright'.
    What is your ISO setting? Have you tried directing other light to the baby's place? Please share a bit more so that we can help you. Best of course: post a picture with EXIF intact.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    For kids and infants, use Nikkor Micro (macro) lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    That makes no sense.

1. The issue is his skillset, not the lens.
    2. A larger-aperture lens would be more beneficial than an f/2.8 lens designed to take pictures of bugs.
    You have missed the punch line. I was juz trying to inject some humor.

if they are in sleeping mode, you can use a tripod to stabilize and gain a longer shutter speed without the need to use higher iso and adding noise in the process.

When kids grow up, there shouldn't be any problem in using an external flash in bounce mode with your kit lens.

Getting a large aperture lens is good, but you will have to train to use it well as you can easily lose focus with a shallow depth of field and the pics will still be blur

Essentially, up the ISO and allow more light into the room - draw curtains, open windows and doors, bring in more lights/lamps, but all these except upping the ISO would likely be far more irritating to a baby than very diffused or bounced flash.

The topic of flash on babies and kids (along with all the misconceptions) have been discussed many times.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    As usual, when there is concern about health issues, there is natural concern (and probably some measure of anxiety).

I would do more research and speak with relevant medical professionals who have either studied the topic, or have access to studies and findings.

Meanwhile, besides the article by a Harvard (?) doctor linked by O Sifu before, one could do a search on the net:

http://www.sublime-light.com/index.p...ve-young-eyes/

http://photo.net/photography-lightin...s-forum/00FsfZ

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00JlBZ

Anyways, harsh, direct flash is usually not a good idea for so many reasons.

Large diffused flash, indirect bounce flash is far less irritating and produces much nicer looking photos.

Note: there is a difference between irritation and damage.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hooting+babies
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 12th February 2010 at 12:01 AM.

For PNS and even DSLR, a piece of scotch tape over the front of the flash might just work. I use the word 'might' because different people have different tastes. For me I use it if I'm taking close shots with less background scenery, and may get carried away and fire flashes into the poor kids eyes. They tend to develop an aversion to the flashlight. You would want the kid to be relaxed. So there's some coaxing involved. If you have some time, you can look up pop up flash diffusers, and find a way to DIY or buy something suitable if the tape is too low tech for you. Good luck!

Please bear in mind that a tiny little diffuser on a P&S or DSLR in-built flash, will still ACT LIKE DIRECT POINT FLASH from even as close as one or two feet away.

Even a one foot diffuser on a hotshoe flash will act like a point light source unless you are shooting from only one or two feet away.

You need to BOUNCE the flash if you don't have a HUGE diffuser as in diffusers that are at least 1-2 meters or larger.

It doesn't matter if one uses say a 5 meter softbox if that softbox is set 15 meter away. It WILL still act like a point light source.

Another example - the SUN. It's HUGE. But from earth, it looks like as small as a light bulb.

The apparent size of a diffuser is dependent on the distance from the subject.

No offense, but PLEASE understand the basics of light and flash.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 12th February 2010 at 12:22 AM.

U can purchase a pop-up flash diffuser for your DSLR ... i'm using my D40 with this as well ...

Can order from Ebay ( maybe around S$5-6 ) or local online stores at $10 ( artworkphoto i think ).

I'm starting out so reckon i'll experiment more with this 1st instead of an external flash ...
    Getting limitations with my kit lens in low indoor light, so it's a cheap option to try anyway ...

Lower down flash compensation can help in future balancing the harshness of the flash ( if u're too near ) ....

Hope this helps ... i'm juz a noob with my views ...
    冰時 | timefreeze

A direct point flash is needed for moving subjects, not a sleeping infant. Making it diffused helps only a little, using it sparingly may help more. Bouncing flash is an idea that has been suggested above. Again, it's all a matter of taste. A piece of kit to bounce built-in flash could be a good idea if the height of the ceiling remains constant. Again, I am fully aware that I may not have an engineering degree to give advice, all that I ever write in forums is based on sharing and for the sake of discussion. Peace, and be nice to the little subjects you are shooting. No further comments.

This is just based on personal experience, kids move very fast and because my Canon gear which has slower auto-focus (especially indoor without flash, but with adequate sun lighting from the window), i need faster auto-focus lens to balance (ie. USM lens). Else with normal 50 f1.4, I often miss the moment. Once i got the focus, the kid has moved to another place.
    Last edited by solasido; 12th February 2010 at 12:31 AM.

For the record, please let it be known that I DO NOT advise using direct diffused flash especially dinky little ones like the tiny add-ons to a P&S or hotshoe flash for shooting babies and infants.

It's either bounce or a very large (apparent size) diffused flash if one prefers it direct. Refer to the Anne Gedess videos for a reference.

And I'm sorry, but a direct point flash is not the only flash avenue for moving subjects.

And it's not about your qualifications, and definitely not personal.

A few recommendations:

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G or AF 50mm f/1.4D

AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4D IF

AF DC 105mm f/2D

AF DC 135mm f/2D
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Blog Entries

for shots of your sleeping infant,

1. get a tripod
    2. buy brighter bulbs/tubes
    3. position the cot nearer the light source eg, window with a nice white translucent curtain.
    4. all of the above

Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    You have missed the punch line. I was juz trying to inject some humor.
    lol
    I missed the 'micro' part as well

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What is your ISO setting? Have you tried directing other light to the baby's place? Please share a bit more so that we can help you. Best of course: post a picture with EXIF intact.
    I haven't much idea what my ISO setting is on. To be frank, I'm using the P mode most often now. But I guess you're right. I need to play around with the camera a little more before getting a new lens!

Quote Originally Posted by syxl00 View Post
    Hi all,
    I got my camera (D80) a while back but I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it. I'm looking to buy another lens which will be good for taking photos of infants and kids, and maybe some portrait shots.
    I can't seem to do that on the kit lens because the pictures usually turn out blur due to either the subject moving or my camera shaking! (I'm definitely a newbie!)

Any suggestions on which lens I should get?
    I use the Prime Lens for my Baby...Cannot Crawl, so no worries, but since most of the time indoors...I use a Lens with a bigger Aperture, so I don't have to use the Flash...But its true that if you don't focus properly on a f1.2, you will get blurry shots...One of the good things I like to do with a Big Aperture is to shot just hands or feet or eyes & blur out the entire body if you do it well, its quiet nice, but different ppl different taste. f1.2 - f1.4 is my favorite for this type of purpose. I don't use the flash not becos of health reason...my kids just don't react very well to even bounce flash.

Then for my kids that move like they are on steriods...I stick to Zoom Lens...It is true the sharpness is not as great as a Prime, but its easier then chasing them around...& if you have a slightly further Zoom, you won't kena splashes from the Pool......

Disclaimer: I'm just a Beginner, I'm not giving you any advise, Just telling you from my experience & hope you profit from my mistakes.
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12