Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lenses for taking photos of infants and kids

Default lenses for taking photos of infants and kids

Hi all,
    I got my camera (D80) a while back but I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it. I'm looking to buy another lens which will be good for taking photos of infants and kids, and maybe some portrait shots.
    I can't seem to do that on the kit lens because the pictures usually turn out blur due to either the subject moving or my camera shaking! (I'm definitely a newbie!)

Any suggestions on which lens I should get?

Default Re: lenses for taking photos of infants and kids

Quote Originally Posted by syxl00 View Post
    Hi all,
    I got my camera (D80) a while back but I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it. I'm looking to buy another lens which will be good for taking photos of infants and kids, and maybe some portrait shots.
    I can't seem to do that on the kit lens because the pictures usually turn out blur due to either the subject moving or my camera shaking! (I'm definitely a newbie!)

Welcome to CS For this instance, it has got nothing to do with your kit lens. Even if you get the best prime lens for portrait shoot, it'll be the same.
    Practice more on it, use a flash or bump up the ISO & shutter speed. Kids are too active. It has got to do with the camera's settings & partly your skill, since you don't have much chance to play around with it.
    Until you've kind of perfected it, then consider buying a better lens
    Take the shot!

It will be more beneficial for you and your wallet if you learn to understand why the pictures turn out blur. Then counter that with knowledge, chose the right settings. Instead of replacing your kit lens with a 'kid lens' you might come to the idea of flash
    Something to read:
    Photography Notes for Newbies - the very basics, mandatory.
    Guide to DSLR Photography - comprehensive with lots of links and details.
    EOS

For kids and infants, use Nikkor Micro (macro) lens.

not a pro on lens and stuff...

but i will STRONGLY ADVISE you NOT TO use flash when taking pictures on infants.

the flash might be too bright for them and chances are you are near to them and the flash is just too powerful for them

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post

but i will STRONGLY ADVISE you NOT TO use flash when taking pictures on infants.

the flash might be too bright for them and chances are you are near to them and the flash is just too powerful for them
    That's a myth. Plus, there's something called "bounce flash". Who would be silly enough to fire a flash directly into anyone's eyes??
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    That makes no sense.

1. The issue is his skillset, not the lens.
    2. A larger-aperture lens would be more beneficial than an f/2.8 lens designed to take pictures of bugs.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    That's a myth. Plus, there's something called "bounce flash". Who would be silly enough to fire a flash directly into anyone's eyes??
    Maybe it is, but angry parents who believe firmly in the myth (or not) and holding the pay check for the photo shoot session is very real.

Better ask: May I use flash?
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

TS, proper technique will help you more than a new lens.
    1. Use window light and make sure your shutter speed is fast enough (rough guide mi nimum 1/60)
    2. Get a flash. Bounce it. It will allow faster shutter speeds, more DOF due to the smaller aperture settings used, and freeze movement.

Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    Why so?
    Any decent lens or any brand used correctly will be suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post

I understand the concern as parents, but this is a myth.
    1. The flash is bounced or diffused
    2. The flash is not direct into the eyes (flash direct into the eyes would be a lousy way to take pictures anyway)

Welcome to CS! Give it a read on Photography basics and when you understand those, you'd start appreciating your kit lens

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Maybe it is, but angry parents who believe firmly in the myth (or not) and holding the pay check for the photo shoot session is very real.

Better ask: May I use flash?
    Show them some Anne Geddes images and tell them this was done with bounce flash too.
    Alpha

try shooting with ur existing lens first, and experiment with various angles and compositions. else try renting a lens with larger aperture to play with . natural lighting can be beautiful as well.

the thing about flash and eyes .. i cannot think of any reason how the camera flash will fry the retina, but of course concerned parents often says since uncomfortable for adults, it will be uncomfortable for their kids. so, flash away if u r comfortable, no need for a direct flash in the face anyway.

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by syxl00 View Post
    Hi all,

As suggested by all, guess some read up on whats proposed by Octarine will be most beneficial.

I felt using prime is the best to nail exposure of kids, esp those in drastic movement(becos of their relatively large aperture,it caters for faster shutter speed)..

AFS 35 f1.8 will be the logical choice for DX and if head shots is what u are after, then u can look at 50mm

HTH
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Hi. I was tempted to give the same reply...go read this and that...I'm sure you'll pour thru those but seriously I think you want to just quickly go shoot your kids...

Honestly, you can do wonders with your kit lens but limitations start to come in if you want to achieve the blur-blur background look (i.e. large aperture in photo-speak).

So, if you're really looking for a lens to shoot kids you may like to invest in a relatively cheap but extremely good lens - the 50mm prime lens. It's not "zoomable", but you don't really need it if you're shooting indoors.

For kids portraiture, my camera settings for a non-flash, indoor, ambient day light on a 50mm prime lens is typically:
    1. Av (Aperture Priority) at f1.8
    2. ISO 400
    3. Auto focus (on eyes)
    4. Continuous shooting mode.
    Generally, on this setting the shutter speed will be 1/80-1/125 secs, depending on the brightness of your room. If its slower than this, i.e. less than 1/80 secs, then you need to increase your ISO accordingly. If outdoors, reduce the ISO level, or go for higher Aperture.

There're lots of arguments against use of flashes...well, I have 2 kids and I've been shooting them with flashes (but not all the time) ever since they were born, and I really mean shooting at the delivery room in presence of the doctors...no issue here in terms of health, BUT what I get are irritated children who don't want to pose for you after a few shots. So, no worries, just shoot, but if you want cooperative kids, use less flash.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

kids here shy away from camera...
    but when i went to poor countries...all the kids crowded around me asking me to shoot them...even if im just holding a pns
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

ahhh...

so i had been made into believing that flash is harmful for the eyes.

but pardon me, a noob, are all flash bounced? even those PnS cameras? cos I always refrain from using flash directly at kids on my LX3 cos Im worried the flash will be harmful to their eyes.

They are referring to those external flash units with swivelling heads. You swivel the head to point the flash upwards to "bounce" the light off the ceiling back onto the subject. This makes for a less harsh lighting.

So any built in flash is not "bounced", as it fires direct at the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    There are some cameras like the Digilux that allows us to bounce the internal flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Instead of replacing your kit lens with a 'kid lens' you might come to the idea of flash
    I second that. Even sometimes when shooting at f1.4 ... it is not possible when lighting sucks. I hate to use flash but sometimes ... there is just no way out. Flash or wait til the sun comes out again.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    They are referring to those external flash units with swivelling heads. You swivel the head to point the flash upwards to "bounce" the light off the ceiling back onto the subject. This makes for a less harsh lighting.

I see!

so theres no way to bounce a flash built in a PnS cam?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast