Thread: An Event 4 Street-Shooters in Taipei

Taipei, Taiwan/ Los Angeles, California. U.S.A.

Thumbs up An Event 4 Street-Shooters in Taipei

In response to the Democratic Party's "Hands Across Taiwan" protest against mainland China a couple weeks back, which drew 1mil+ supporters and probably a lot of votes for the encumbant president in next weeks elections...

...the Nationalist party (who wants to get back into the presidency) is holding it's own peaceful protest (kinda a "don't upset the mainland, we like the status quo"), a march from the Taipei mayors office (near Warner Village) to the Presidential office.

It starts at 1pm this comming Saturday. I'll be there for sure. If anyone wants to meet up, PM or email me

Default Some Results

Sorry for the extra long delay, but here are some of my favorite pics of the day. You can find more in my gallery.

The more interesting ones

Sorry...couldn't help myself...but now don't you feel like voting for the Nationalists?

The standard flag-waving ones:

"la4 ma3" in blue :lol:

Last Saturday I went to the KMT protest in front of the presidents office and shot through 5 rolls of Provia and a couple of HP5+. I'll try and post those later on...some really cool ones there. It was actually specifically designed more for the CNN audience, so most of the protest signs were in English, the "Wall of Democracy" had English curses written on it (mostly the "F" word + A-Bien), and forigners were grabbed and asked for good English chanting slogans whenever possible (which led to some really funny shouting).
    Last edited by OpenLens; 29th March 2004 at 04:54 PM.

Hey Brian,

wonderful coverage .... the outdoor protest and rallies are a sight for savour... the political tension between the green/ blue and the rotten apple pushers.. .. more!!! more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OpenLens
    and forigners were grabbed and asked for good English chanting slogans whenever possible (which led to some really funny shouting).
    gee... very interesting!

you gave them any slogans??

Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    gee... very interesting!

you gave them any slogans??
    I helped a group of uni kids change "We at this moment want a recount!" to "Recount now!".

Direct Mandarin to English translations are always funny

Quote Originally Posted by OpenLens
    I helped a group of uni kids change "We at this moment want a recount!" to "Recount now!".

Direct Mandarin to English translations are always funny

hahahahha..... talk about Taiwanese English

reminded me of a thread about a Taiwanese dad commenting on Singaporean's english

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    Hey Brian,

wonderful coverage .... the outdoor protest and rallies are a sight for savour... the political tension between the green/ blue and the rotten apple pushers.. .. more!!! more!!!
    Thanks

I'll get the slides and CD-R from the more interesting protests of the last week tonight and will try and post the better ones by tomorrow night. Until then, the rest of my election photos this far are HERE

Cheerz! man.. looking at them now..

it's very interesting that Taiwanese take it so personally upon themselves in their involvement with their govt

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    it's very interesting that Taiwanese take it so personally upon themselves in their involvement with their govt
    They are very proud of the fact that they are the first Chinese democracy...I think voter turnout this time was more than 80%. In the States where I'm from turnout in a presidential race barely touches 30%

Last Saturday's protest photos are posted in THIS THREAD

This is good. Something which we don't get to see everyday, at least not in a Chinese society context.

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    This is good. Something which we don't get to see everyday, at least not in a Chinese society context.
    Thanks

The other thread I started today on the KMT election protest contains some even stronger messages. This is the second election I have seen in Taiwan...this is certainly the most emotional I've seen anywhere.