Thread: CD Labelling

Default CD Labelling

Hi,

May I know what is the best option to do CD labelling besides silkscreen print?

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Alvin.

Default Burn on the disc directly!

Saw in some news on the web that HP has developed a new technology in which the CD or DVD writer laser can actually burn a "label" on the other side of the media. But of course the media must have a special coating on the non-writing side.

Not sure if there is any real drive available as the news was based on a prototype that HP demo during an exhibition (CES?)

Darkspade

Just get one of those inkjet printers that can print on specially coated CD-R or DVD+/-R blanks. The results are very good indeed.

Went to IT Show yesterday and saw Epson demo printing directly on the CD itself. Quite nice but colour a little dull.

Did you check out the Canon ones? I'm printing on CD-Rs with a Canon printer and it is not dull at all. Maybe even a bit too saturated for my taste. Could it be that it looks 'dull' to you because the printing surface is matt and not glossy?

Oh I see. Maybe that's the cause.
    I did not know the CDs have got matt and glossy ones around.
    Does DVD have such printable ones?

Quote Originally Posted by alvinpang
    Hi,

May I know what is the best option to do CD labelling besides silkscreen print?

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Alvin.
    If you do a fast and cheap way of labelling CD with a square sticker, make sure that you go over the surface with your fingernail and it is 100% stuck especially the corners. If the sticker flys out in a spinning CD drive it might inflict damage to it.

The conventional wisdom is marked the CD with pen such as Staedtler permanent Lumocolor.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinpang
    Oh I see. Maybe that's the cause.
    I did not know the CDs have got matt and glossy ones around.
    Does DVD have such printable ones?
    I don't think that there are printable CD-R or DVDs with glossy surfaces. At least I have not come across any so far. They are all matt surfaced. And yes there are printable dvd blanks. I have been using them all this while.

how much more expensive are these printable CD-Rs and DVD-Rs ? me thinking of getting those printers such as Canon IP3000 if its feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    I don't think that there are printable CD-R or DVDs with glossy surfaces. At least I have not come across any so far. They are all matt surfaced. And yes there are printable dvd blanks. I have been using them all this while.

Quote Originally Posted by cwongwh
    how much more expensive are these printable CD-Rs and DVD-Rs ?
    just bought 50pc CD-R 48x printable CD at PK Computer (Funan) for $23.90
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

this is cheap... hows the printing quality ?

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    just bought 50pc CD-R 48x printable CD at PK Computer (Funan) for $23.90