Thread: Cut off point for HC is 3!

Default Cut off point for HC is 3!

DR HON CHIEW WENG, principal, Hwa Chong Institution: 'I refer to Ms Toh Siew Tin's letter on Saturday, 'O-level disadvantage: Six A1s and four A2s - but failed to win a place in first-choice JC'. We congratulate Ms Toh's daughter on her good performance. The cut-off point is calculated using the L1R5 scoring system, and not the number of distinctions attained. This scoring system takes into account the student's first language (L1) and five relevant subjects (R5), which must include at least one from Mathematics, Science and Humanities. Each school's cut-off point varies from year to year, depending on the number and quality of applicants who apply under the Joint Admission Exercise. This year, Hwa Chong's cut-off point for both the Arts and Science streams is 3. This includes bonus deductions for passing Higher Mother Tongue and outstanding Co-Curricular Activities records. We regret that not everyone who puts Hwa Chong as his first-choice school was posted to us. We wish Ms Toh's daughter all the best.'

Default Re: Cut off point for HC is 3!

so? my time it was 2 for RJC also...what is so surprising abt this? HC was ard there..O level is really nothing in my opinion...and not a gd guage......having said so...just because you can't get into HC dosn't mean you will be screw up.

It proves 1 thing that the daughter might have impressive academic results but not good CCA records which proves crucial at the end which is used for deduction of scores.

Times has changed, parents need to wake up to face the fact that having good academics is just not good enough.

It's actually surprisingly easy to get an A for CCA if your Teacher in charge know how to play with the system

3?? so must get 6A1s -3 bonus points?

wah... so different nowadays. I remember I got F9 for CCA.... forgot to hand up form... That time CCA not very impt....

during my time there is no such thing as getting bonus pts for CCA or passing higher mother tongue. if you are from brother/sister school you get 1 bonus pt. so max cut off pt was 5.

This selection system is all sooooo bullsh1t ... i hate it so much! .
    always the Light, .... always.

Blog Entries

it just means that no matter how good you think you are, there is always someone better than you

erm, let's read it properly.

she said her daughter had 6 a1s, 4 a2s.

now, L1R5 system, if i do not remember it wrong, needs one language, 5 relevant subjects.

relevant subjects must have at least one science and one humanities subject.

so if her language subject had one of the a2s, and all her humanities subjects got a2, that's straight away 2+2+4 (for 4 other subjects) = 8.

so let's not assume 6 a1s = 6 points for L1R5.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    This selection system is all sooooo bullsh1t ... i hate it so much! .
    that's life isn't it?

i remember a guy in my batch from neighbourhood sec sch(not those prestige one) but his GP was bad and so is the english grade. but he manage to get into NJ still. when he was in it...he topped all papers/S papers etc almost all the time.....in the end he din manage a good scholarship because GP was his sore point.

i think he is a real brilliant guy and he did well in CCA as well. all rounded. but because of GP,he ended up in NUS. while those not as smart as he is got all the scholarship u can think of...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    erm, let's read it properly.

she said her daughter had 6 a1s, 4 a2s.

now, L1R5 system, if i do not remember it wrong, needs one language, 5 relevant subjects.

relevant subjects must have at least one science and one humanities subject.

so if her language subject had one of the a2s, and all her humanities subjects got a2, that's straight away 2+2+4 (for 4 other subjects) = 8.

so let's not assume 6 a1s = 6 points for L1R5.
    exactly...when we got out result...a friend of mine was told he got 8 distinctions but he was damn upset...then we found out it was 8A2s....then we were like WTF....when we had some awards presentation..i think he was so embarrassed to go for it

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    that's life isn't it?

i think he is a real brilliant guy and he did well in CCA as well. all rounded. but because of GP,he ended up in NUS. while those not as smart as he is got all the scholarship u can think of...
    yes, i've seen many brilliant people get screwed over because of gp.

it's not just academic results, to be honest. in singapore, there is this interesting mentality of having to be an all-rounder. while that is certainly not a bad thing to be, think of all the talent that isn't developed because it is buried underneath their flaws.

this, results from a mix of society and policy, i guess.

all i say is u no need to go to a prestigious school to get ur education... just do your best, each of us are born different...some are just smarter than others... going to a top school might not suit everyone, especially the competition is just insane...

as far as i know... a lot of my sec friends who din even pass their O levels (i came from a not so good sch and it has since closed down) are making more money than me... so go figure...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    all i say is u no need to go to a prestigious school to get ur education... just do your best, each of us are born different...some are just smarter than others... going to a top school might not suit everyone, especially the competition is just insane...

as far as i know... a lot of my sec friends who din even pass their O levels (i came from a not so good sch and it has since closed down) are making more money than me... so go figure...
    I agree.... those mischievous students are often the ones who are able to come up with bright ideas, who don't conform, and make $

Something is wrong if the kids get 6 A1s, 4 A2s and the parents are complaining. Sounds like something to celebrate about. I don't think the education in other JCs are that bad and she still stands a pretty high chance of scoring 4As for the A level and getting into a university and course of her choice.

How many employers care about what JC you go to anyway?

i think there will be a lot of personal opinions here. but who doesn't aspire to do better and have the best. Environment is what i will say most impt. money making is impt...but not all measure success by money making ability. job satisfaction etc is another factor. the ppl we know are probably represent less than 1% of the population. as much as i disagree with certain policy.

i think in singapore whereby our resources are only the people themselves..and as a result our system is gear towards mass producing or training the ppl in a certain direction. in this they pick the cream out and groom them. of course some of the brilliant ones get left out due to GP etc...sadly there is no perfect system that is flawless and will always pick the best...to this parent in the paper..i can only say move on....haha.. i did better than her child and also never get into HC(not my choice anyway).....jhahaha..i went NJ instead because RJ cut off was 2 then for me. haha..

I would say though the study environment might matter, A levels results might have no prediction power with regards to academic performance in universities. I remember hearing about studies that found no correlation between A level results and university results. That's not difficult to believe. My cohort had only 1 person who graduated with a first class honours (its really not easy to get a 1st class for my major in NUS), and he was previously from Outram Institute and scored average grades for A levels. Personally, in JC, I almost failed my promotional exams, and I scored grades of B D D B3 A2. I graduated with honours a class below my buddy who got the 1st class.

What i'm saying is... one doesn't have to go to the best schools to be successful in life. Furthermore, a high flyer's life might not be suitable for everyone. It's perfectly fine to lead an average life as long as you live it happily to the fullest.
    Last edited by SeAnCoLd; 11th February 2010 at 09:39 PM.
    Sean