Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TDK 8x8 Internal Dual Format DVD Writer Promotion for IT Show 2004

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    TDK more worth it. i was there, and people were queueing for it. die die must get lah, for those wanting a DVD writer! =)
    i see the long long Q there, really want to ask all those in the Q what they really burn to the 4.3GB DVD-R

for me only backup photo, but 4.3GB can really store lots and lots of photo!

Quote Originally Posted by stk
    The model is dvd400i and it's a 8x DVD+R and 4x DVD+RW burner, not dual format. Anyway I bought one cos I figured it's good enough for me.. Probably no more stock liao though....
    $99 is cheap!!! if there's stocks, I would get one for my other PC.... can it burn CD-R/RW too?

There's also a Benq one going for $179.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    i see the long long Q there, really want to ask all those in the Q what they really burn to the 4.3GB DVD-R

for me only backup photo, but 4.3GB can really store lots and lots of photo!
    I store video too and "ghosted" drives

... but so far, the DVD-R media comes in 4x max speed only isn't it? So even with an 8x DVD-R player like the TDK, won't the speed drop to 4x anyway?

Pardon me here... Newbie to DVD writers..

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Choo
    ... but so far, the DVD-R media comes in 4x max speed only isn't it? So even with an 8x DVD-R player like the TDK, won't the speed drop to 4x anyway?

Hmm.....8X is available for DVD+ only for now. Since this drive is dual format, it will be able to take advantage of that.
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    $99 is cheap!!! if there's stocks, I would get one for my other PC.... can it burn CD-R/RW too?
    Sure it can burn CD-R/RW as well.. Just cannot burn DVD-R/RW.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Choo

Me new to DVD writers too... Walked around IT Show yesterday and realised that most DVD+RW disc are currently rated at 2.4x speed, and DVD+R disc are rated at 4x speed.. so guess having a super fast drive is an overkill now.. until the disc speed catches up.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilo
    Oh update abit. The HP DVD writers are going for just $99! But cant confirm if its a 4x or 8x. Wai do you know anything about it?
    Which booth? HP themselves selling?

There're lots of 4x DVD+RW and 8x DVD+R on sale. Think one of the cheapest is Mitsubishi Chemical by Chamoxa - $25 for 2.4x DVD+RW and $30 for 4x DVD+RW. forgot the price for 8x DVD+R though

2x DVD-R are also cheap, less than $2 a piece for Verbatim.

Benq has a region free 8MB buffer 8x DVD dual format writer on sale at $179. They removed the bundle of 5 piece DVD-R though.

Iomega is selling their 8x dual format at $199 yesterday and today with some free media.

TDK is doing very well despite the higher price of $229. There's a long queue when I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxing
    Which booth? HP themselves selling?
    Model is i400. Sold out though

Model is i400. Sold out though
    Would love to have one.

Those looking to buy the HP400i drive can try to go down early tomorrow. Stocks ran out the first day and today they brought in some more due to good response(obviously). So may still be able to get it tomorrow. Hope so...

And this drive MAY be able to flash its firmware later enabling dual format. Its a Philips oem drive apparently. Check this thread in HWZ. Its the same drive.

http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com...hreadid=688697
    Last edited by Twilo; 12th March 2004 at 11:34 PM.

hmm... may try then. but today they posted several notice that stated "HP400i sold out".

I was there for the promotion. Early bird special
    HP came up with a system for registering all who came to buy the writer. It was SLOW and ANNOYING!! you had to shade the circles and their machine is so sensitive that you had to reshade everything if it misses one. Took the first 5 people 10 minutes just to get themselves eligible to buy the writer. HP got a STUPID idea this time round.

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei
    Hmm.....8X is available for DVD+ only for now. Since this drive is dual format, it will be able to take advantage of that.
    some 4x DVD-R media can do 8x

The IOMEGA superdrive ($199 after on the spot rebate) is all format.
    +R +RW
    -R -RW
    DVD-RAM
    Comes with 2 pieces verbatim disk and theres one more in the box.
    Wanted to get the TDK one but the queue was long so bought the IOMEGA instead.

There're lots of 4x DVD+RW and 8x DVD+R on sale. Think one of the cheapest is Mitsubishi Chemical by Chamoxa - $25 for 2.4x DVD+RW and $30 for 4x DVD+RW. forgot the price for 8x DVD+R though

2x DVD-R are also cheap, less than $2 a piece for Verbatim.

Benq has a region free 8MB buffer 8x DVD dual format writer on sale at $179. They removed the bundle of 5 piece DVD-R though.

Iomega is selling their 8x dual format at $199 yesterday and today with some free media.

TDK is doing very well despite the higher price of $229. There's a long queue when I'm there.
    Last edited by wantunn; 13th March 2004 at 01:43 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123