Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why the "equipment" question?

Default Re: Why the "equipment" question?

Next time bring entire production crew and truck with generator - Sure WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    uwa lens to shoot street?
    Ahh...that's the thingy mah. Wrong choice of lens or don't know when to use what lens and then want to go around teaching Ah Pek here some new tricks. Next I bet you will see they post something like "what lens should I buy? or something along the line"
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by lyanlex View Post
    I don't get it. Often than not, people looking for photographers, specially those photography enthusiast, are asking for "what equipment are you using?" not only that, they go to specifics like camera, camera body, lens, flash...
    really?
    i think a portfolio is enough. if you like the photos then it dosnt matter what equipment was used.

just a thought.

Cheers!
    I TOTALLY agree with you.

I really dun understand why people wanna this kind of question.

Does a good picture comes from a good camera or from a good photographer?
    Bokelicious Photography : www.bokelicious.net --- Facebook.com/bokelicious

Quote Originally Posted by jackzhangxiao View Post
    I TOTALLY agree with you.

I really dun understand why people wanna this kind of question.

Does a good picture comes from a good camera or from a good photographer?
    Well actually, the picture comes from the camera if you think about it... :P

Just kidding.

Point taken. Although, in my view, a master craftsman will be proud of his work and not reveal his tools because it's his trade secret and his own technique and he worked hard to learn these.
    We all know that the tools are not the trade secret in photography. It just makes for interesting conversation. Photographers are usually quite open about their techniques too because we can all read about the techniques in books.

If a craftsman refuses to talk about his tools and techniques, it's usually because he is 'tau'. It's like any art/craft. For example, a pianist can tell you he plays a Steinway piano and employs the Russian fingering technique. But try making a tune with this knowledge... Though photography is a simpler craft, the idea is the same. It takes years of practice to get good.

i see... but what if you've seen his work before you've seen his tools and you loved his work only to find out that this carpenter uses old and improvised tools, would you still hire him?
    The answer is a resounding yes. I have in fact just hired a carpenter who uses old tools. I don't know if he improvises his tools, but even people who shoot with the latest equipment sometimes improvises their tools.

I have a set of antique furniture that must be repaired using old-school technique. So, old tools are necessary. In fact, his charges are very high because he is good.

I don't get it. Often than not, people looking for photographers, specially those photography enthusiast, are asking for "what equipment are you using?" not only that, they go to specifics like camera, camera body, lens, flash...
    really?
    i think a portfolio is enough. if you like the photos then it dosnt matter what equipment was used.

just a thought.

Cheers!
    Indeed.. I'd rather learn about how people go about taking the photos. How they compose and what's their thought process and considerations when taking their photos.

Gears are really... Secondary.
    IMHO, many people upgrade their gears so fast and do not evaluate their own photos taken. Instead they will push responsibility of taking good photos to their lenses and bodies... =/

No offense no anyone. Just wanna voice this out =x

noted.... hypothetically, if you saw my up to date gear would you think I'm a good photographer?
    No. However, if I were to meet a photographer, I would usually talk a bit about the camera and lens he uses... Why? Quite simply... I'm interested.

If you are a photographer, I think you should be thankful that people are willing to make conversation with you on a topic that you are familiar with... instead of making an issue out of it.

If the client wants to judge you based on your equipment... then so be it. There's very little you can do about that... except to buy new equipment if it makes economic sense.

But if they want to talk about equipment... please be nice and talk to them about it. A craftsman with an attitude is very annoying.

really?

just a thought.

Cheers!
    Gear is a factor from many other factor to define that is a photographer or photoshoper
    EOS 1DMarkIV,
    Xwife : EOS40D, 5D, 5DMarkII, 7D, SonyA900 | seXytoys :EOS 400D, 450D, 500D, SonyA550

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post

But if they want to talk about equipment... please be nice and talk to them about it. A craftsman with an attitude is very annoying.
    Agree. It takes abit of effort to strike a conversation btw 2 strangers. And the next question after the "Hi" is definitely not easily going to be "can i have a look at the shots u took and see if nice or not and see if i can learn anything from u / i think i got some nice shots let you have a look " But if i do meet someone like that I dun mind showing what i got.

Quote Originally Posted by tongki View Post
    Gear is a factor from many other factor to define that is a photographer or photoshoper
    I dun get the drift. so what does better gear translate u to ? better photographer or photoshoper ??

ryan

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345