Thread: Lens Hood?

Default Lens Hood?

Hi, juz chanced upon this forum today.

Wonder if any of you guys can tell me wat a lens hood is? Is it the petal like thing attached to the lens?

Wat are the uses of a lens hood?

Quote Originally Posted by lrrp77

Wonder if any of you guys can tell me wat a lens hood is? Is it the petal like thing attached to the lens?

Lens hood can either be the petal-like or round attachment on the lens. The purpose of the lens hood is to deflect light shining directly on the lens, thus affecting the light metering when taking a shot. Lens hood could block the in-built flash, thus reducing the effect of the shot, more often resulting in worse results...

1. to block stray light so as to avoid flare later showign up in the photos
    2. to act as a bumper crashzone to physically lessen impact on front part of lens in the event of any unfortunate collision
    3. to make you and your lens look more "cool" so that the babes turn their head more in your direction ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    1. to block stray light so as to avoid flare later showign up in the photos
    2. to act as a bumper crashzone to physically lessen impact on front part of lens in the event of any unfortunate collision
    3. to make you and your lens look more "cool" so that the babes turn their head more in your direction ^_^
    Lens Hood as a bumper? That's cool!

Quote Originally Posted by lrrp77

You can read more about hoods here

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Lens Hood as a bumper? That's cool!
    Its more than cool...its very usable too! With a lens hood, you can prevent stray fingers going onto the lens and smudging it. And most lens hoods are designed to take the brunt of impact should your lens fall to the ground (touching wood ), thus destroying the hood but protecting the lens. There are 2 camps about whether people should use hood or filter as lens protection...well, I use both!

Ya, i do agree it looks kinda cool

How much do one normally cost?

and does a polarizing lens have a similar effect in cutting down "stray light"?