Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about night/flash photography! (important)

Default Re: Question about night/flash photography! (important)

seriously...i will just bring a pns if slr (kit lens)... its about spending quality time with ur gf and enjoying the view...not about how gd u 2 look in photos.
    50mm is tight enough...100mm impossible to shoot. just bring 18-55 if u have 1 or what ever wide u have. dont bokeh for the sake of bokeh.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

your right i dont know what's fev/fel thingy.. i know whats rear curtain but i dont know the effects compared to 1st curtain. yeah guess i'll have to experiment a lot first.
    hmmm after looking at ur wonderfulpics, i realised that the flyer cabin is smaller than i thought. so might not be a place for tripod. planning to ask somebody help us take but i set the settings first.

feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Adjust flash EV for main subject, shutter speed for BG.

There again, Canon flash users need to Google and read the 'EOS Flash Bible'. The EOS flash system is designed very differently from conventional flash systems.
    Thank bro for the advise... ....

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    seriously...i will just bring a pns if slr (kit lens)... its about spending quality time with ur gf and enjoying the view...not about how gd u 2 look in photos.
    50mm is tight enough...100mm impossible to shoot. just bring 18-55 if u have 1 or what ever wide u have. dont bokeh for the sake of bokeh.
    cos im quite new to dslr so i wanna try all sorts of things. i know it might not be the right time but i just wanna give it a shot =D
    Last edited by hotchoco1ate; 10th February 2010 at 05:46 PM.

flash setting

1st curtain/front - flash fire off as soon as the shutter open.

2nd curtain/rear - flash fire off just before the shutter close.

good way to understand the effect is to set your camera to a slow shutter speed (for easy understand set it high, 1-4sec), set your camera on a tripod or table. sit on a chair infront of the camera, take a pic of yourself, within the shutter time, sway your body from left to right once. 1st curtain effect is the flash will freeze your body at the start and a ghost image of u swaying to your end position. the 2nd curtain is your start position is ghost image and your final position is freeze and clear.

night portriat photography usually uses 2nd/rear curtain will freeze and capture the final moment of the subject while the slow shutter allow the BG light to be captured.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    cos im quite new to dslr so i wanna try all sorts of things. i know it might not be the right time but i just wanna give it a shot =D
    Why don't you learn the very basics of exposure in daylight first? If you don't know which mode to use ... then it will be even more difficult to balance flash and ambient light using Av or M together with compensation settings. It takes a while to find the right settings and also to find out what to change and how much to change. Time in the flyer is limited and I'm not sure how much fiddling with equipment your gf will tolerate.
    If you want to prepare yourself a bit then take your gear, ask a patient person to be guinea pig and take test shots at roughly the same time as you will be in the flyer. That should give you some ideas.
    Do read the EOS Flash Bible before. Read again.
    EOS

your right i dont know what's fev/fel thingy.. i know whats rear curtain but i dont know the effects compared to 1st curtain. yeah guess i'll have to experiment a lot first.
    hmmm after looking at ur wonderfulpics, i realised that the flyer cabin is smaller than i thought. so might not be a place for tripod. planning to ask somebody help us take but i set the settings first.

feasible?
    Oh sorry.. FEV is Flash Exposure Value. Compensate accordingly depending on the lighting conditions of the scene.. When using fill, beware of subject distance to flash, stop down and expereiment until desired effect is reached. If Flash is your primary source of lighting in that situation, diffuse it so it won't look harsh..

I wun recommend seriously

Dun think end results will be good, do note in the cabin, its relatively dark after the blue hour, so pumping up ur iso is a must, and u won't want to lose out on the dof, so somewhere in between 5.6 or even 1 stop down in f8 is a must, u need at least 1/20 of sec to shoot handheld to elimimate handshake(given ur focal length of say widest), assuming that somebody step in and help u, i can foresee 3 outcomes : -

1. Subjects exposed but ambient fail to register becos of the above settings.

2. Image blur becos u want to compensate for 1. (i.e slower shutter speed ) but that somebody cannot handheld comfortably to complete the shot.

3. Grainy pics as u allow for noise to register to compensate for 1. (much higher ISO)

U know most of the pics i took in the capsule is on 1-2s
    Last edited by Numnumball; 10th February 2010 at 06:12 PM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

okay im bring my 100mm for the bokeh effect . i dont plan on using my wide angle since i dont think there is a use for it on that night. what do u think?
    Bring both i reckon~
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Smile Re: Question about night/flash photography! (important)

Thanks to Octarine for referring us to the "EOS Flash Bible". It's really such a wealth of information and have really enlightened me on how to better use the Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Go full M and diffuse ur flashgun if you can.
    Bring your tripod or u will regret it.. (Surely u wan to take nice pics of u n ur gf together right).. Maybe passerby/onlooker can help, by nth beats shooting on tripod at night where quaility are assured.

Use of Rear curtain sync and FEV accordingly..
    Dun let the flash overpower the ambient (Fill flash if necessary) else all mood is lost..

Took my wife to SG Flyer 2 mths back.. For ur reference...

SG Flyer Set

HTH
    just see your flickr photos. Really good bros.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12