Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: extension tubes vs macro lense

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default extension tubes vs macro lense

    Just a question about the above.
    Is it worthwhile to get extension tubes? or just jump straight to macro lense?
    Where can i get the extension tubes btw?
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

  2. #2

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    If you intent to shoot lost of macros, dedicated macro lenses are the way to go.

    Close-up filters and extension tubes can be frustrating and inflexible.

    If you're a on and off type on shooting macro photography, then perhaps filters and extensions are cheaper to adopt.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  3. #3
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    Quote Originally Posted by ptwong View Post
    Just a question about the above.
    Is it worthwhile to get extension tubes? or just jump straight to macro lense?
    Where can i get the extension tubes btw?
    For long term macro commitment, decicated macro lens are still the ones to go..
    and get extension tubes to pair up with to achieve higher magnification..
    Think most of the regular shops should carry.. I got mine at TK Foto donkey mths back..
    Orient Photo at SLS carries them as well..
    Last edited by Numnumball; 10th February 2010 at 11:49 AM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    thanks everyone!
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

  5. #5

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    guys i need some guide here.
    if i want to take macro shots like this

    eg: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655883

    which of the following should i get?


    1. 100mm F2.8 Macro
    2. 50mm F2.8 Macro
    3. 30mm F2.8 Macro
    3. close up filter
    4. extension tube http://cgi.ebay.com/Macro-Extension-...0/320446708522

    I got a alpha 330

  6. #6
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    Quote Originally Posted by gtsrr View Post
    guys i need some guide here.
    if i want to take macro shots like this

    eg: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655883

    which of the following should i get?


    1. 100mm F2.8 Macro
    2. 50mm F2.8 Macro
    3. 30mm F2.8 Macro
    3. close up filter
    4. extension tube http://cgi.ebay.com/Macro-Extension-...0/320446708522

    I got a alpha 330
    the closest u can get is 1+3 (Raynox) forget the 2 and 3 (nt sure abt Canon got such focal length macro lens ) if you are into bugs photography

    Thats is taken with MPE65, should be close to 2X magnification.

    Or stack 2 sets of extension tube with ur 100 mm macro..
    Last edited by Numnumball; 24th February 2010 at 12:15 PM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  7. #7

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    MHO on the pros of extension tubes are :

    1. Cheap
    2. Can make any fast lens a macro lens
    3. Small and light enough (esp at one or 2 sections) to be in the bag at all times.
    4. For general shooting (eg. travel), you may not always carry a macro lens as the focal length may no be so often used (actually macro lenses are usually in good focal lengths like 50, 70, 100mm). You'd also not be that focused on macro shots. So an extension tube give the options to make any fast lens in your bag a macro lens.

    Cons
    1. manual
    2. does not work over all focus distances like a dedicated macro lens.

  8. #8

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    the closest u can get is 1+3 (Raynox) forget the 2 and 3 (nt sure abt Canon got such focal length macro lens ) if you are into bugs photography

    Thats is taken with MPE65, should be close to 2X magnification.

    Or stack 2 sets of extension tube with ur 100 mm macro..
    thanks for the recommendation,

    sorry got some noob questions.
    wat is "1 + 3 (Raynox)" ?

    Raynox is a magnifier?
    must use 3?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    Quote Originally Posted by gtsrr View Post
    thanks for the recommendation,

    sorry got some noob questions.
    wat is "1 + 3 (Raynox)" ?

    Raynox is a magnifier?
    must use 3?
    Haa.. now i realised.. ur initial post confused me as there's 2 "3."

    What i am saying ur best bet is 100mm macro 2.8 with close up filter (the likes of Raynox like DCR-250)
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  10. #10

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Haa.. now i realised.. ur initial post confused me as there's 2 "3."

    What i am saying ur best bet is 100mm macro 2.8 with close up filter (the likes of Raynox like DCR-250)
    haha my bad now then i realised got double 3

  11. #11
    Member DrSpock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Warp back to Simei
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: extension tubes vs macro lense

    Yes, the other options to ext tubes is using this Raynox attachment filters acting much like a magnifying glass in front of the lens. If you get the CM2000 it comes with both 2x & 1.4x combined or individual to get the bug's eyes just using the 50mm prime lens. Check it out Raynox & CM2000 I just got them!
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •