Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 72 of 72

Thread: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

  1. #61

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    Alamak - what science class have you been going to? Hydrogen is number one on my periodic table and is the most naturally occurring of elements. Think wat cha mean is that H2 gas is highly unstable and does not occur so naturally. The obvious is to split H2O and that requires energy. Although there are biological methods to also produce H2. Anyway let's talk about the cars.

    Any sexy looking hybrids around?
    Sexy looking hybrids? It really is relative. I think the BMW 7-series and X6 hybrids are sexy. Lexus LS600h is sexy too. But... According to dictionary.com, sexy is:
    sex·y (sěk'sē)
    adj. sex·i·er, sex·i·est

    1. Arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest.

    Well, I really don't wanna have sex with cars. So yeah...

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Hybrid cars are actually horrible in terms of production pollution. The batteries and materiels used in the engines alone require a destructive mining process, then these still need to be shipped all over the world, adding to hte CO2 output.

    A well-maintained Diesel is a better choice, and can also burn vegetable oils. In fact, when the Diesel engine was first designed, it was not built to burn fossil fuels, but designed to burn a vegetable oil. Fossil fuels were only used as the dominant fuel because (at the time) they were plentiful and cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Do you have actual facts to support your claims? Are there actual figures to prove that the production pollution is more then a regular car and the hybrid engines do not overall reduce the pollution that it contributes to the earth?
    Rashkae is incorrect regarding the original intended fuel for running the Diesel Engine. I quote

    "It is often reported that Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil, but this is not the case. Diesel stated in his published papers, "at the Pairs Exhibition in 1900 (Exposition Universelle) there was shown by the Otto Company a small diesel engine, which, at the request of the French Government ran on Arachide (earth-nut or pea-nut) oil (see biodiesel), and worked so smoothly that only a few people were aware of it. The engine was constructed for using mineral oil, and was then worked on vegetable oil without any alterations being made. The French Government at the time thought of testing the applicability to power production of the Arachide, or earth-nut, which grows in considerable quantities in their African colonies, and can easily be cultivated there." Diesel himself later conducted related tests and appeared supportive of the idea.[38]

    Source: Wikipedia and their citation is from The Biodiesel Handbook, Chaper 2 - The History of Vegatable Oil Based Diesel Fuels, by Gerhard Knothe, ISBN 1893997790

    As for pollution reduction claims, he's almost right, there are figures available and they demonstrate that a Diesel engine with a particulate filter and reburner to reburn the particulate matter (Diesel "soot") and the use of a catalytic converter on the exhaust will indeed reduce the emissions output to a level equivalent to the best current petrol powered engines. However the cost of such control systems are expensive and also fairly high maintainance. The wikipedia article on diesel engines has all the information and is fully cited. Other sources for the information are available via google.

    Next, energy and pollution produced in production of vehicles. Apart from a discredited 2002 report there are no reliable figures from any manufacturer or organisation that I'm aware of for or against hybrids in terms of total lifecycle energy requirements. With that said however, Toyota has admitted that the Prius requires more total energy to produce than an equivalent sized petrol only vehicle. However with that said the dust to dust report of CNW has been discredited by many scientists around the world, both on it's lack of published methodologies and it's overall accuracy, conclusions and so on.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  3. #63

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Do you have actual facts to support your claims? Are there actual figures to prove that the production pollution is more then a regular car and the hybrid engines do not overall reduce the pollution that it contributes to the earth?
    strawman argument - i.e. claiming that person has argued something when he has not.

    i do not even detect an ounce of whatever you write in red.

    has rashkae said that the production pollution exceeds the difference in reduction when using a hybrid car? don't think so.

    he's just saying that they aren't as great as people paint them out to be. as for answering your question in red, i think it depends on many other factors, like maintenance of engines, amount of actual usual, etc. it can't be answered!

    as for actual facts and sources, there is wikipedia, and google will turn you up the same results when it comes to the nickel metal hydride system used in hybrid car batteries. it involves nickel mining, and we all know that transportation of any form DOES produce carbon dioxide, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Hybrid cars are actually horrible in terms of production pollution. The batteries and materiels used in the engines alone require a destructive mining process, then these still need to be shipped all over the world, adding to hte CO2 output.

    A well-maintained Diesel is a better choice, and can also burn vegetable oils. In fact, when the Diesel engine was first designed, it was not built to burn fossil fuels, but designed to burn a vegetable oil. Fossil fuels were only used as the dominant fuel because (at the time) they were plentiful and cheap.
    Last edited by night86mare; 14th February 2010 at 11:05 AM.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    As for diesel, there are very good diesel engines made in today's technology. They are quiet and relatively efficient compared to petrol. But it is not a feasible option given its high tax rate here.

    As for pollution, it is probably just an excuse for taxman to collect better tariffs from petrol.
    One major problem with the low fuel usage diesels is the cost of injectors. I've just fried on and it's going to cost around 1,550 SGD for one injector plus another 160 or so for labour to fit and test it..... ack!
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  5. #65

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    I think there is an expat here in sg who drives an orange Corbin Sparrow.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    One major problem with the low fuel usage diesels is the cost of injectors. I've just fried on and it's going to cost around 1,550 SGD for one injector plus another 160 or so for labour to fit and test it..... ack!
    Heh. I've actually contemplated going petrol with my next car just because with all the silliness with the price of diesel over here it's not working out much cheaper! I'm also doing less miles these days.

    And sometimes, it's nice to have a normally asphirated engine ^.^

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    yea, it aint cheap to maintain a Landy. But for hard core off roading, it delivers without a hick. It's just that most women dont like the ride quality of the 90 or 110. Not a great car for a smooth date, but it certainly rocks the xxxx off the passengers.

    Back to hybrid cars, just remember the favor is towards the governing bodies and not quite the environment in so far as singapore is concerned. But the mindset may change for better or ill in the near future.
    Don't I know it. This is not the first Landy I've owned (owned a series II back in the early 80s). The Disco though is the best of both worlds, serious off road capabilities and refined comfy ride on dates. But to keep this on topic, what I'd like to know is why Toyota, Nissan and the other pretenders to the offroad crown keep building such diesel gulping diesels. Admittedly most of their diesel engine technology is off the ark...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Heh. I've actually contemplated going petrol with my next car just because with all the silliness with the price of diesel over here it's not working out much cheaper! I'm also doing less miles these days.

    And sometimes, it's nice to have a normally asphirated engine ^.^
    This is what's so stupid, they want us to use diesel as it's better with the new gen of engines in emissions and far lighter on fuel yet the fuel is 10-20% more expensive than ULP. Stupid stupid politicians.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  8. #68

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Don't I know it. This is not the first Landy I've owned (owned a series II back in the early 80s). The Disco though is the best of both worlds, serious off road capabilities and refined comfy ride on dates. But to keep this on topic, what I'd like to know is why Toyota, Nissan and the other pretenders to the offroad crown keep building such diesel gulping diesels. Admittedly most of their diesel engine technology is off the ark...
    Profits and demand....
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    Profits and demand....
    Not really, just very high tech injectors from Bosh.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  10. #70

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    UK motorists get 25% discounts if they buy electric car


    I wonder wonder how long will we wait to get cheaper electric / hybrid cars...
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  11. #71
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    Well, I really don't wanna have sex with cars. So yeah...
    Some people are known to have really weird fetishes.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  12. #72
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    To invest on hybrid or otherwise, make an informed decision. here is some info about hybrid maintenance of its battery:
    http://www.go-hybrid.info/hybrid-car-battery.htm
    contaxable, thanks for the link.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •