Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GReddyZC76 View Post
    who care where u live & if u are filthy rich?
    i just stating an example.
    even if i filthy rich, why FEED our garmen MORE with MORE ROAD TAX? when they are sucking us DRY FROM ERP ERP & ERPs....?
    he's not even in singapore, sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    he's not even in singapore, sheesh.
    I'm thinking of going up there just to run him over a few times though as I could do with some traction compound on the tyres
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Sounds fun Ian! I like tyres
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

Quote Originally Posted by jawzsg View Post
    Why are we debating about hybrid and so call environmental friendly cars??? Why can't we recycle/upgrade relative good vehicles but scrap them in 5 and 10 years cycle? New car technology can reduce emission..but by how much compared to the mining industries, moulding industries, plastic and PCB manufacturing, paint/detailing workshop, assembly lines all working at full steam to churn out the replacements? Not to mention depleting the natural resources in doing so..

An upgrade in the air/fuel management or systems for example can make great improvements to older vehicles in both fuel economy and emission. A car sustained with some parts replacement and upgrade and kept running for 20 years sounds more environmentally friendly to me as compared to one who would have say change 7 different new cars in that span of time.

Just another look at the environmental issue in relations to cars.
    Why -
    1. Throw away society that likes new toys.......
    2. Jobs (US car manufacturing industry had to be bailed out and still some of them have sunk)....
    3. Who's supplying refurbished cars that the gov accepts as equivalent to new?

Anyway what happened to the Air Car that Tata were suppose to produce?

FYI: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7243247.stm
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    Ahh tis the wonderous Ice lady.. you intrigue me no end

I too like tyres as the old tractor just doesn't run well on it's rims.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Ahh tis the wonderous Ice lady.. you intrigue me no end

I too like tyres as the old tractor just doesn't run well on it's rims.
    Ahh cut out the fantasies.........I'm just an old wrinkled grumpy aunty who likes to sit in a very cold room eating kaya jam for tea

alamak, easy lar, sit around whole day, eat lots of junk food & fast food, drink lots of soft drinks (btw, why is it call soft ah?). than u will soon have ur very own a tyre. easy to up size some more.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Ahh cut out the fantasies.........I'm just an old wrinkled grumpy aunty who likes to sit in a very cold room eating kaya jam for tea
    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    alamak, easy lar, sit around whole day, eat lots of junk food & fast food, drink lots of soft drinks (btw, why is it call soft ah?). than u will soon have ur very own a tyre. easy to up size some more.
    Haha I happen to like old aunties, being an old uncle myself!

It's called "soft drink" because it didn't have alcohol in it or liquor.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    Dahling D - as you may already know, I already have a couple that are very nicely formed and yes am looking to upsize.

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    Haha I happen to like old aunties, being an old uncle myself!
    Gosh when did that happen? Weren't you....?????? And wasn't nightmare feeding you.......????

Anyway so is this thread about fuel efficient cars or hybrid cars? And as an oil loving nation - why would we want to have hybrid cars?

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Furthermore working backwards, buses are on diesel fuel and trains source their electricity from natural gas stations. It may be efficiently consolidating energy uses but overall, the significance on pollution between car use and bus/train use are little when compared directly.

Unless of course we got the energy from some kind of sustainable source like solar, nuclear, wind, tidal or geothermal.
    Not quite true. LPG powered busses have been around for over a decade. We've had them here in Perth for years now. Nor do all trains source their energy from natural gas stations, a large proportion of the global train population are diesel and in parts of Africa and South America steam still runs some working trains.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I've always been under the impression that the more direct the energy use, the less energy lost through conversion and inefficiencies.

Petrol > Engine > Car moves

Gas/Oil> Boils water to steam (loss)> Generator (loss) > Transformer/Power conditioning/Wiring and other transfer (loss) > Charging battery ( loss ) > Elec motor (loss) > car movement

It just does not make too much sense other than a reduction of direct air pollution of roads and cities.
    Are we being told the truth in this whole hybrid electrical car issue?
    Incorrect! The energy losses in a fuel engine are quite high. Firstly few petrol engines are more effeceint than about 15-20% in the real world and that includes the use of turbo and super chargers, fuel injection etc. The thermodynamic limit of effeceincy is 37% for a steel engine.

Diesel on the other hand has a typical effeceincy of around 45% for engines produced in the past 15 years or so and the next generation of engines should be around 55% effecient. The theoretical maximum effeceincy for diesel is 75%, double that of a petrol driven engine of the same capacity. For a given kW rating a diesel will use approx 40% less fuel.

Electric motors on the other hand can be made with very high effeceincy levels but the exact effeceincy of the engines in cars I am not sure about.

You have also neglected to factor in such things as transmission and gearbox losses and exhaust system losses. I can state with 100% certainty that on a turbocharged petrol engine the fitting of a muffler can reduce power by over 12% and that has a huge bearing on the amount of fuel used and overall system effeceincy.
    Gosh when did that happen? Weren't you....?????? And wasn't nightmare feeding you.......????

Anyway so is this thread about fuel efficient cars or hybrid cars? And as an oil loving nation - why would we want to have hybrid cars?
    When did what happen haha? Time for PM methinks...

Why we need hybrids. Technically Singapore doesn't need hybrid cars, it could get away with the majority of drivers using purely electric cars. Oil is after all a finite resource and sooner or later we will run out of it.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Why we need hybrids. Technically Singapore doesn't need hybrid cars, it could get away with the majority of drivers using purely electric cars. Oil is after all a finite resource and sooner or later we will run out of it.
    Agree however Sg doesn't appear to encourage hybrid cars, let alone electric cars. The range of hybrid cars in Sg are few and expensive and sadly not that good. Probably due to lack of demand and the "cool" factor is not that high. Some dudes have gone thru the expense of converting their cars to CNG. But CNG refilling stations are few and far between.

Last convention, gahment made a sweeping statement insinuating they could reduce their carbon emissions by a lot more if countries played ball. If gaht really interested, they could set a precedent and go for a zero emission country - as per LA in the 90s. But I guess it is either used as bargaining power, or Sg's economies have a heavy reliance on refining and using oil. Anyway after oil, they will turn to liquifying coal as a fuel source. In fact with the price per barrel of oil, liquifying coal is becoming more economical to do.

As for H2 cars, anyone heard of any future plans to install H2 refilling stations?

Agree however Sg doesn't appear to encourage hybrid cars, let alone electric cars. The range of hybrid cars in Sg are few and expensive and sadly not that good. Probably due to lack of demand and the "cool" factor is not that high. Some dudes have gone thru the expense of converting their cars to CNG. But CNG refilling stations are few and far between.

Last convention, gahment made a sweeping statement insinuating they could reduce their carbon emissions by a lot more if countries played ball. If gaht really interested, they could set a precedent and go for a zero emission country - as per LA in the 90s. But I guess it is either used as bargaining power, or Sg's economies have a heavy reliance on refining and using oil. Anyway after oil, they will turn to liquifying coal as a fuel source. In fact with the price per barrel of oil, liquifying coal is becoming more economical to do.

As for H2 cars, anyone heard of any future plans to install H2 refilling stations?
    Of course living in the land of ancientness I don't always know what's going on up north a bit in Singapore. However you're quite right the current crop of hybrids are pretty pathetic and very overpriced for what you don't get. LPG (Liquified Petrolium Gas) is what's used down here by all the taxis, busses in Perth and quite a lot of private motorists. Most service stations (petrol stations) have LPG in the main cities but it's harder to find out in the country. Dual fuel vehicles are also popular and the most fuel effeceint are the diesel / LPG systems which while expensive (about 5K AUD) to install give a 20% or so rise in fuel economy.

Hydrogen is as far as I know only currently available in California, though I may be wrong.

I reckon they'll use shale before coal as a liquifaction to oil source as the process for producing oil from shale is a mature technology that's been around for at least 73 years as the Germans were using it during WW-II.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Hydrogen is as far as I know only currently available in California, though I may be wrong.
    Environmental oxymoron. Hydrogen molecules still requires large amount of cheap energy sources (fossil fuels primarily) to be separated through electrolysis or thermolysis as after all hydrogen is a non-natural occurring element on Earth.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Environmental oxymoron. Hydrogen molecules still requires large amount of cheap energy sources (fossil fuels primarily) to be separated through electrolysis or thermolysis as after all hydrogen is a non-natural occurring element on Earth.
    Alamak - what science class have you been going to? Hydrogen is number one on my periodic table and is the most naturally occurring of elements. Think wat cha mean is that H2 gas is highly unstable and does not occur so naturally. The obvious is to split H2O and that requires energy. Although there are biological methods to also produce H2. Anyway let's talk about the cars.

Any sexy looking hybrids around?
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 12th February 2010 at 10:17 PM.

Alamak - what science class have you been going to? Hydrogen is number one on my periodic table and is the most naturally occurring of elements. Think wat cha mean is that H2 gas is highly unstable and does not occur so naturally. The obvious is to split H2O and that requires energy. Although there are biological methods to also produce H2. Anyway let's talk about the cars.

Any sexy looking hybrids around?
    That's exactly how they do make Hydrogen by the electrolysis of water, a technique that's used in mass production of Hydrogen gas.

Sexy looking Hybrids, erm no unless you think a Toyota Corolla or Camry is sexy...
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Let's not argue about semantics. Pure hydrogen element is exactly what I was referring to.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

That's exactly how they do make Hydrogen by the electrolysis of water, a technique that's used in mass production of Hydrogen gas.

Sexy looking Hybrids, erm no unless you think a Toyota Corolla or Camry is sexy...
    Bet ya if they put a sexy gal by/on/over the car it would change people's perceptions......

Let's not argue about semantics. Pure hydrogen element is exactly what I was referring to.
    Well that's like saying all boyz are gals.....

Biofuel seems to be a viable alternative though especially with regards to algae fuel with flight trials having been conducted on commercial airliner.

Inhabitat.com, green design will save the world.
    First algae-powered car attempts to Cross US on 25 Gallons by Ariel Schwartz, 2009.09.09.

Well that's like saying all boyz are gals.....
    I stand by my original statement, contrary to what your chemistry class had taught you, naturally occurring pure hydrogen element is hardly available on planet Earth.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9v-orion images View Post
    biofuel seems to be a viable alternative though especially with regards to algae fuel with flight trials having been conducted on commercial airliner.

i stand by my original statement, contrary to what your chemistry class had taught you, naturally occurring pure hydrogen element is hardly available on planet earth.
    01001000 01101001 !!!
    01100001 01110010 01100101
    01111001 01101111 01110101
    01101000 01100001 01110000 01110000 01111001
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 13th February 2010 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Hybrid cars are actually horrible in terms of production pollution. The batteries and materiels used in the engines alone require a destructive mining process, then these still need to be shipped all over the world, adding to hte CO2 output.

A well-maintained Diesel is a better choice, and can also burn vegetable oils. In fact, when the Diesel engine was first designed, it was not built to burn fossil fuels, but designed to burn a vegetable oil. Fossil fuels were only used as the dominant fuel because (at the time) they were plentiful and cheap.
    Do you have actual facts to support your claims? Are there actual figures to prove that the production pollution is more then a regular car and the hybrid engines do not overall reduce the pollution that it contributes to the earth?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast