Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

Default Re: Hybrid cars discussion thread.

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Actually the most efficient engines are of the diesel type. Unfortunately they pollute more if they're fed with diesel fuel (don't confuse diesel engines with diesel fuel, they're 2 different things). The closest adaptation of a diesel engine fed with petrol is the Mitsubitshi GDI years ago, but sad to see they stop developing it...
    You sure about that? Diesel is cleaner than petrol leh. They produce black smoke but they're actually cleaner.

Unless the car that runs on petrol is equipped with catalytic converter
    Last edited by TheStig; 10th February 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    All,

In view of the publicity of the Toyota Prius braking problem, it has pinged my interest in hybrid cars.

In today's mypaper, it was mentioned that there are only about 70 3rd generation Prius being sold here in Singapore through Borneo Motors.

Here are some of my questions:
    1. Why is the take up rate of the hybrid cars are so slow? It is because it is expensive? I remembered vaguely that the ROI takes very long?
    2. Does hybrid car owners need to change the batteries after a few years? How much will the batteries cost?
    3. There was once I saw an article stating that there are a few types of hybrid engines. Anyone care to discuss here?
    Take up rate slow? Maybe because most of us don't give a rat's ass about the trees

A few types of hybrid engines? I know some (Toyota, Honda) are designed to reduce fuel consumption, whereas BMW develops hybrid engine that actually enhances performance. Look at X6 and 7-series hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    You sure about that? Diesel is cleaner than petrol leh. They produce black smoke but they're actually cleaner.

Unless the car that runs on petrol is equipped with catalytic converter

ENV standard measure pollution (cleanliness) by exhaust particle sizes, with little regards to composition.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Actually the most efficient engines are of the diesel type. Unfortunately they pollute more if they're fed with diesel fuel (don't confuse diesel engines with diesel fuel, they're 2 different things). The closest adaptation of a diesel engine fed with petrol is the Mitsubitshi GDI years ago, but sad to see they stop developing it...
    Yeap, i do know that. The GDI was a nice engine, but the gearbox ruined the fuel consumption on the Lancer GDI. Had one of those as well.

Why are we debating about hybrid and so call environmental friendly cars??? Why can't we recycle/upgrade relative good vehicles but scrap them in 5 and 10 years cycle? New car technology can reduce emission..but by how much compared to the mining industries, moulding industries, plastic and PCB manufacturing, paint/detailing workshop, assembly lines all working at full steam to churn out the replacements? Not to mention depleting the natural resources in doing so..

An upgrade in the air/fuel management or systems for example can make great improvements to older vehicles in both fuel economy and emission. A car sustained with some parts replacement and upgrade and kept running for 20 years sounds more environmentally friendly to me as compared to one who would have say change 7 different new cars in that span of time.

Just another look at the environmental issue in relations to cars.
    651D90 Mk II cameller™ ...... "Ai Camel Mai ?"

Hahaha... no wonder I'd never heard anyone trying to poke you on the road...
    I actually weighed the beastie the other week on a set of corner scales. With a full tank Chelsea weighs in at a petite 2250kg. With a 63mm diameter steel bullbar and a solid chassis other cars are my crumple zone

Fuel economy figures (actual, not as per manufacturers specs): City driving: 10.38L / 100Km, country: 7.48L / 100Km. Tank Size 95L: Fuel: Diesel, engine size 2498cc. Cylinders 5. Turbo intercooled.

Quote Originally Posted by GReddyZC76 View Post
    unless u are filthly rich , else i see no point in paying more road tax to the garmen, paying more motor insurance to the insurance company.

and hell, why do u need 4WD in singapore? unless u tell me u live ontop of bt timah hill, everyday u climb up down the hill in 4wd.
    else 4wd is overkilling in singapore roads.
    Read where I live GReddy. Who said I'm in Singapore? As for being filthy rich. I am!

Makes mental note to bring the beasite up via ship and run you over a few times lah....
    Last edited by Ian; 10th February 2010 at 09:32 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I actually weighed the beastie the other week on a set of corner scales. With a full tank Chelsea weighs in at a petite 2250kg. With a 63mm diameter steel bullbar and a solid chassis other cars are my crumple zone

Fuel economy figures (actual, not as per manufacturers specs): City driving: 10.38L / 100Km, country: 7.48L / 100Km. Tank Size 95L: Fuel: Diesel, engine size 2498cc. Cylinders 5. Turbo intercooled.

Read where I live GReddy. Who said I'm in Singapore? As for being filthy rich. I am!

Makes mental note to bring the beasite up via ship and run you over a few times lah....
    I love you!

Actually the most efficient engines are of the diesel type. Unfortunately they pollute more if they're fed with diesel fuel
    Last I was aware the jury is still pretty much out about diesel engines with diesel fuel. They produce less carbon dioxide but do produce more particulates that are of debatable impact to the environment.

As to the cost of the Prius, it's worse over here relatively speaking. The Prius cost about the same as my A3, and from what I gather it's distinctly cheaper than an A3 in Singapore. So in relative terms it's even worse over here. I do suspect from reading this thread that there are more benefits to having a Prius over here though, even more so if you live in London.

I looked at the Civic hybrid but didn't take it out for a drive in the end. I wasn't particularly impressed and for whatever reason they're just very rare here (ie not that popular). The Prius has reasonable acceptance, helped no doubt by a raft of Hollywood celebrities driving around in one.

I'm not sure what Big Kahuna means about no proven track record; the Prius is several generations old now and the mileage figures and emission figures are fairly accurate. The problem is, as stated, it wasn't drastically better than other alternatives. Or it wasn't when I last looked at a car purchase in 06.

Plenty of people that don't need 4WDs drive 4WDs. The football fraternity and their WAGs come to mind. They're affectionately known as Chelsea Tractors... basically luxury school run vehicles.

SMART cars are very common over here, although they are getting rarer now than they used to be at the height of their fad. I think you can fairly safely describe the SMART as a small car, really. If GReddyZC76 says it's not small then I'd struggle to imagine how he describes a family saloon.

Petrol cars that run with cat converters... I thought all petrol cars ran with a cat converter o.O Maybe this is some UK thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Petrol cars that run with cat converters... I thought all petrol cars ran with a cat converter o.O Maybe this is some UK thing...
    Cat converters are used on any vehicle that runs unleaded fuel and that folks means any new vehicle destined for the USA, EU or Australiasian markets that's been built since around 1990 or so for the EU and Australiasia and if memory serves me right a bit later for the USA.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

What really is needed though is a small hybrid with good range that's suitable for use in the major Asian cities where 99% of the people aren't going to leave the confines of the city. The same applies globally. Something that's using lightweight construction and is akin to a golf cart on steroids. Ultra high fuel economy, the ability to carry 4 people and as little steel and weight as possible. It amazes me that no one's come up with one as yet.
    i have the answer.

i don't think it will sell though.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    not sure if these counts as small cars? but i see quite alot of these in europe. none in sg though

i also want... if cheap.

easy to park somemore.

actually, the best way to solve emission problems is simply to ban big cars that are not needed.

for example, SUVs........... i think ian mentioned he had one!

ok, but there are a thousand arguments why that is not a good plan.

can also ban ferraris........

I've always been under the impression that the more direct the energy use, the less energy lost through conversion and inefficiencies.

Petrol > Engine > Car moves

Gas/Oil> Boils water to steam (loss)> Generator (loss) > Transformer/Power conditioning/Wiring and other transfer (loss) > Charging battery ( loss ) > Elec motor (loss) > car movement

It just does not make too much sense other than a reduction of direct air pollution of roads and cities.
    Are we being told the truth in this whole hybrid electrical car issue?

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I've always been ....
    It just does not make too much sense other than a reduction of direct air pollution of roads and cities.
    Are we being told the truth in this whole hybrid electrical car issue?
    .. years down, think about the amount of spent electric cell needed to be disposed... could be a new environmental nightmare....
    651D90 Mk II cameller™ ...... "Ai Camel Mai ?"

who care where u live & if u are filthy rich?
    i just stating an example.
    even if i filthy rich, why FEED our garmen MORE with MORE ROAD TAX? when they are sucking us DRY FROM ERP ERP & ERPs....?

anyway.
    CLUBSNAP is definitely a wrong forum to discuss about Cars.
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

Hybrid cars are actually horrible in terms of production pollution. The batteries and materiels used in the engines alone require a destructive mining process, then these still need to be shipped all over the world, adding to hte CO2 output.

A well-maintained Diesel is a better choice, and can also burn vegetable oils. In fact, when the Diesel engine was first designed, it was not built to burn fossil fuels, but designed to burn a vegetable oil. Fossil fuels were only used as the dominant fuel because (at the time) they were plentiful and cheap.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    actually, the best way to solve emission problems is simply to ban big cars that are not needed.

for example, SUVs........... i think ian mentioned he had one!

ok, but there are a thousand arguments why that is not a good plan.

can also ban ferraris........
    Sorry mine is not a Sports Utility Vehicle, It's a Land Rover 4WD and boasts a massive 130Kw of grunt with a chipped ECU. It is classified as an agricultural impliment (I kid you not) and has the acceleration and top speed to match any self respecting tractor. Besides which the sainted Jeremy Clarkson hates Land Rovers, however he's an ignoramous as he still hasn't realised that the Discovery (hit pet hate) has exactly the same chassis, suspsension, engine and control systems etc as the Range Rover which he loves to bits.

SUV's like Jeeps, RAV4's (don't tell my g/f that she owns one) etc should be banned as they are useless off road and worse on road.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Take up rate slow? Maybe because most of us don't give a rat's ass about the trees

A few types of hybrid engines? I know some (Toyota, Honda) are designed to reduce fuel consumption, whereas BMW develops hybrid engine that actually enhances performance. Look at X6 and 7-series hybrid.
    The 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid was built for performance, not fuel consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    The 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid was built for performance, not fuel consumption.
    Yeah I forgot about the Accord Hybrid. Well, it seems nobody bought that car. If I'm not mistaken, the Accord Hybrid has been killed.

Yeah I forgot about the Accord Hybrid. Well, it seems nobody bought that car. If I'm not mistaken, the Accord Hybrid has been killed.
    Indeed it's gone. R.I.P.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast