Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Zealand wants Singaporeans as foreign talent! Would you go?

Default Re: New Zealand wants Singaporeans as foreign talent! Would you go?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Every place has pros and cons.

I've lived in California, China (Shanghai and Zhejiang) and Singapore. And Each place is different in what they can offer (good and bad).

The only thing to understand is which environment suits you more. So it boils down to what you want in life. And remember, at different stages of our lives, our priorities will change, and our (emotional, financial )situations will change. All these will affect which country/city we are more suited for.

There are no absolutes.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Every place has pros and cons.

I've lived in California, China (Shanghai and Zhejiang) and Singapore. And Each place is different in what they can offer (good and bad).

The only thing to understand is which environment suits you more. So it boils down to what you want in life. And remember, at different stages of our lives, our priorities will change, and our (emotional, financial )situations will change. All these will affect which country/city we are more suited for.

There are no absolutes.
    True enough, different stages of life will affect our decision on the priority. In general, when one become older, one tend to hope for a more peaceful life rather than a competitive and stressful life. However, can we lead such a life in Singapore?

Looking at Singapore, the pace of life has hastened, cost of living has gone up and live is getting more stressful (cheaper, faster and good) because you can't keep up. There are plentiful of hungry employee who is willing to work at a lower cost to replace you.

Do you wish to stay in such country to retire? Maybe if you are rich, such worries like medical expenses, cost of living will not hurt you much...
    Last edited by scanner; 16th February 2010 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    True enough, different stages of life will affect our decision on the priority. In general, when one become older, one tend to hope for a more peaceful life rather than a competitive and stressful life. However, can we lead such a life in Singapore?

Looking at Singapore, the pace of life has hastened, cost of living has gone up and live is getting more stressful (cheaper, faster and good) because you can't keep up. There are plentiful of hungry employee who is willing to work at a lower cost to replace you.

Do you wish to stay in such country to retire? Maybe if you are rich, such worries like medical expenses, cost of living will not hurt you much...

I would also like to be nearer to my families, friends & love ones instead of being all alone overseas when I'm older.... When I'm sick, no family members would be around me.... when I'm dead.... no one to even collect my body for a few days....

If I'm rich enough to retired there..... unlikely my children, being at the height of their career, would 'prefer' a slow pace of life... have to go alone again lor....

But of course.... thats just me lah. There are always those that could afford the best of both world.

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    I would also like to be nearer to my families, friends & love ones instead of being all alone overseas when I'm older.... When I'm sick, no family members would be around me.... when I'm dead.... no one to even collect my body for a few days....
    Valid points, but you worried too much, especially "no one to even collect my body for a few days"
    New friends can be made overseas and when you planned to move over, you don't move alone. You bring your whole family.

How many of family man often keep contact with friends? They have their own family and you have yours to take care of. The most, you only meet up a number of times per year.

If I'm rich enough to retired there..... unlikely my children, being at the height of their career, would 'prefer' a slow pace of life... have to go alone again lor....

But of course.... thats just me lah. There are always those that could afford the best of both world.
    With such increase of living standard, do you think in the next 10 years or so your children could kept pace with the lifestyle here?

There's still opportunities at the other side, it depends how you see it. Especially, those who are well to do, they can give their children a good head start.

By saying so, I am neither rich nor poor, but rather someone trying to aim to retire early, to enjoy life rather than slogging through my old age.
    Last edited by scanner; 16th February 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Valid points, but you worried too much, especially "no one to even collect my body for a few days"
    New friends can be made overseas and when you planned to move over, you don't move alone. You bring your whole family.

How many of family man often keep contact with friends? They have their own family and you have yours to take care of. The most, you only meet up a number of times per year.

Hahaha... true. But I'm the type where friends collecting my body isn't the same as family members collecting my body.... and while my Bro and Sis is married and had their own familes... we all live within 10 mins walk from each other and meet for makan (fav pastime of my family) nealy every week end.... so, while my family isn't big (1 older Bro + 1 younger Sis), we are kind of close-knit.

At the beginning of this year, my father passaway... sudden HeartAttack.... I can't tell you how good in felt to have all my close family members there to support each other.... including Cousins who stay with my family during the Wake... Aunt & Uncles to guild us.... So, going to live overseas alone, isn't kind of for me.....

With such increase of living standard, do you think in the next 10 years or so your children could kept pace with the lifestyle here?

There's still opportunities at the other side, it depends how you see it. Especially, those who are well to do, they can give their children a good head start.

By saying so, I am neither rich nor poor, but rather someone trying to aim to retire early, to enjoy life rather than slogging through my old age.

I can't tell you what will happen in ten days time.... either can I tell you what will happen in 10 years time. Perharps you are correct, we might not be able to live here....

or

That once China and India becames the great economic power that they are said to becomes.... even people from the West will be flocking to Asia to lives and find work. You can see with your own eyes nowadays.... the great numbers of foreigns (both East & West) leaving their homeland for ASIA..... therefore to said with any degree of confidence that my Children (when I have Children) will 'CONFIRM' move 'West'..... is kind of too early to say.

Hahaha... true. But I'm the type where friends collecting my body isn't the same as family members collecting my body.... and while my Bro and Sis is married and had their own familes... we all live within 10 mins walk from each other and meet for makan (fav pastime of my family) nealy every week end.... so, while my family isn't big (1 older Bro + 1 younger Sis), we are kind of close-knit.

At the beginning of this year, my father passaway... sudden HeartAttack.... I can't tell you how good in felt to have all my close family members there to support each other.... including Cousins who stay with my family during the Wake... Aunt & Uncles to guild us.... So, going to live overseas alone, isn't kind of for me.....
    That's great that you have your siblings and relatives there to support each other during difficult time.

I can't tell you what will happen in ten days time.... either can I tell you what will happen in 10 years time. Perharps you are correct, we might not be able to live here....
    or
    That once China and India becames the great economic power that they are said to becomes.... even people from the West will be flocking to Asia to lives and find work. You can see with your own eyes nowadays.... the great numbers of foreigns (both East & West) leaving their homeland for ASIA..... therefore to said with any degree of confidence that my Children (when I have Children) will 'CONFIRM' move 'West'..... is kind of too early to say.
    It always boils down to what one wanted and hope for.
    When I was younger, I worked very hard and hoped to achieve great success in career. But now my thinking have somehow changed.

Maybe it is because of life's experience, religion and many other factors, which made me pondered even if I've achieved great success in life, when the time come for me to leave this world, I can't bring these over to the next life.

I seriously hoped local policies maker could take a step back to look at how the society had progressed.
    Is it time for us to aim for quality life rather than keeping the whole society in a rat race?

Life is not just about money and career. As a nation, it is not about how many GDP growth we have achieved,
    but rather it should be how happy we are as a nation. Look at Bhutan, their government top priority is to make their people happy.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by scanner; 16th February 2010 at 07:53 PM.

There are no absolutes.
    But there's always Absolut Vodka...

Damn... the holidays feels soo short...

It always boils down to what one wanted and hope for.
    When I was younger, I worked very hard and hoped to achieve great success in career. But now my thinking have somehow changed.

Maybe it is because of life's experience, religion and many other factors, which made me pondered even if I've achieved great success in life, when the time come for me to leave this world, I can't bring these over to the next life.

I seriously hoped local policies maker could take a step back to look at how the society had progressed.
    Is it time for us to aim for quality life rather than keeping the whole society in a rat race?

Life is not just about money and career. As a nation, it is not about how many GDP growth we have achieved,
    but rather it should be how happy we are as a nation. Look at Bhutan, their government top priority is to make their people happy.

Thanks for sharing.

I agree with you that its all boils down to what one wanted and hope for in life.... and not all of us wishes for the same thing. Which is why when I begin writting in this thread.... I wasn't trying in anyway to discourage ppl from seeking greener pasture or telling ppl that leaving S'pore is a bad idea.... I'm kind of disagreeing with TS's idea that leaving here for NZ would instantly meant a good life or that 100% of the locals will welcome you with open-arms without question.

Like I said time and again.... if you had done your Homework.... already got a job over there.... you have your families support for your move.... please do what you heart tells you. No point to stay anywhere if you are not willing/happy...

Btw.... I think what Bhutan did is kind of 'Bull****' (sorry, just my view )..... they know very well that their small country can't compete with other bigger national in getting high GDP growth without opening up their country to outside influence (China & India)... so, much easier to said Gross Domestic Happiness is more important than $$$.... since its harder to make $$$. Read in NatGeo Mag that the younger Bhutanness are getting restless.... as they are seeing lifestyle on TV channels from India and other countries.... the people's ableably to remain 'Happy', is very much due to how limited, they are, from exposure to the outside world (why do you think VISA to Bhutan cost $200+USD per day.... to discourage great masses of foreigner from visiting). Once the magic bottle is opened (TV, Internet... etc). There's no turning back. A new Gen would wants the lifestyle they see.... and being told they are 'Happy' won't cut it anymore. I really doubt the Bhutanness Govt could keep the country in 'lock-down' mode forever..... while their ideas is pure and good.... it will fail in the end.

Again... my 2-cents worth. Apology to any Bhutanness reading this and felt offended.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    But there's always Absolut Vodka...

Damn... the holidays feels soo short...
    LOL yea!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456