Thread: ISO help for macro shots

Default ISO help for macro shots

Thanks to madmartian, james, and many other csers, i think im improving

one more question, iso setting.
    i know for macro shots, thanks to csers, that aperture should be set to 16+- , shutter speed depending on lighting, but now iso. some say 100/200, some say 400/800. how?

Default Re: ISO help for macro shots

ISO = 100 for me~
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperholic View Post
    ISO = 100 for me~
    hmms, why? and whats the difference between 100 and 800? ><

Personally,

Most macro are done with a flash at a close distance. Rather than compensating the shot with a higher ISO, the flash should be sufficient. This comment is even more true for night macro.

Not forgetting the fact that the higher noise level that comes with a higher ISO~

Just my thoughts~
    Enjoy macro~

Cheers~
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

Personally,

Most macro are done with a flash at a close distance. Rather than compensating the shot with a higher ISO, the flash should be sufficient. This comment is even more true for night macro.

Not forgetting the fact that the higher noise level that comes with a higher ISO~

Just my thoughts~
    Enjoy macro~

Cheers~
    Your question answered, ryan boy
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanchew View Post

i know for macro shots, thanks to csers, that aperture should be set to 16+- , shutter speed depending on lighting, but now iso. some say 100/200, some say 400/800. how?
    Depends.. Personally, i do not want my flash to overpower the ambient..In tricky lighting conditions, i still will set slightly higher ISO (400-1200) to compensate for greater dof without altering my aperture yet i can still capture my subject at a reasonably acceptable shutter speed.

Though rule of thumb is always use the lowest ISO number possible to retain the highest quality image, but that may not applies to all , esp with the availability of high iso capable bodies like D700..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Depends.. Personally, i do not want my flash to overpower the ambient..In tricky lighting conditions, i still will set slightly higher ISO (400-1200) to compensate for greater dof without altering my aperture yet i can still capture my subject at a reasonably acceptable shutter speed.

Though rule of thumb is always use the lowest ISO number possible to retain the highest quality image, but that may not applies to all , esp with the availability of high iso capable bodies like D700..
    Agree with the above if you have a high ISO capable body. However, under tricky lighting isn't it better to use a flash?

Agree with the above if you have a high ISO capable body. However, under tricky lighting isn't it better to use a flash?
    Bro, my answer above is all about using flash....
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Heh~ Paiseh boss, did not read carefully.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanchew View Post

Macros can be done from f2.8 to f22. It all depends on your requirement and what you need to do. Less DOF or more.

The ISO is a balance, I do night macros handheld and would not be able to use low ISO, thus I compensate by using a medium ISO of about 400 with lowered flash settings.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post

Again answered
    Take the shot!

How come u all prefer f8 for macro?

Cos i always go for the biggest aperture like f2 to blur the backgrd and focus on the primary object instead?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post

Cos i always go for the biggest aperture like f2 to blur the backgrd and focus on the primary object instead?
    The closer the distance fo the cam to the subject, the lesser DOF you will get. Even sometime for macro, DOF at f8 is still very thin

You can use DOF calculator to check

thanks all, lower iso for better quality, higher to compensate for lighting. got it. thanks everyone
    Canon Eos 500D
    100mm Macro Lens, Single Diffused Flash

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post

If you're shooting at f2.8, then you're not shooting at the maximum magnification. In which case, then the DOF at that distance is not critical. But if you're shooting at the minimum focusing distance, then you'll realise that even f8 may not be enough to get the insect fully into focus.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site