Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bokeh: How do you do it??

Deregistered

this is my older post closely related to the issue on hand, hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    i may be misguided, but it seems to be the smaller absolute diameter of the compact cameras. slr's have apertures (when wide open) that hit easily 1 cm across, but it's not common to have anything that big on a compact digicam. i think (yet to figure out everything) it affects the circle of confusion etc, so bring about a much lesser bokeh.

Fundee explained to me on paper before during a SEED, using a diagram and an analogy of a pinhole camera - the hole (aperture) is a much smaller absolute figure on compact digi's compared to that of slr's, and once you align this analogy to a pinhole camera, you'll see that slr's are like pinhole cameras with larger "holes", and the bokeh effect is more obvious (similar to shallower DOF), and the compact digi's have a much smaller absolute "hole" (which translates to a deeper dof for the equivalent angle of view).

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    this is my older post closely related to the issue on hand, hope this helps
    Thanks Sehsuan. Yes, that helps to put the differences between the absolute diameters of lenses in perspective as far as getting blurred backgrounds are concerned.

Also noted the other point made about DOF too. The smaller digicam lenses have great DOFs!

Default Shallow DOF

To my understanding, good bokeh achieved with shallow DOF. To achieve shallower DOF you need bigger aperture, longer focal length, shorter distance to subject, and bigger sensor . Smaller sensor in P&S digicams is the reason why it's very difficult to achieve shallow DOF (and good bokeh). You can try this to get better "bokeh". Maximum zoom, biggest aperture, very close to main subject (if you can focus) and far away background.

DSLRs with big sensors and long telephoto / macro lenses can achieve very shallow DOF hence produce very good bokeh. The ability to produce good bokeh also varies with different lenses (though they have same aperture and focal length).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12