Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i now know why wedding photographers deserve to be paid so much

Default Re: i now know why wedding photographers deserve to be paid so much

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, you can take a lot at a particular section here.....
    lol, ehhh like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Well yes the limited work pride was kind of my point. And I am aware of the make a quick buck thing ^.^

But, but, but... according to the blurb they're all PRO leh?
    Yeah as we both know there's PRO and there's SG Pro lite (ie every second kid in the street with a copyright that reads XYZ images and a flicker account). Most of them would last 2 seconds in either of our turfs before the clients wacked a lawsuit on them for substandard work.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    Get angpow. Insai only 20 dollars.
    Give him the 1st shot and keep the rest... and charge him $20 per photo...

stupid miser...

To TS:

Have you considered taking such photos without the intent of post processing (or at least minimal post processing)?

Wouldn't that be so much more cost efficient?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    post processing is a real pain! haha

not to mention waking up early and working whole day. !
    For me, the payment is not because of the PP and long hours but the professional skills.
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

photographers have overheads to cover, family to feed, and equipments to maintain. Photography is art, you may have your own distinctive style but not all clients will appreciate your work as much as you did. Say out of 10 prospects there might be only 1 or 2 that truly appreciates your work, 4-5 prospects might not even know what is the difference between your photos and the others who are charging lower than you, and perhaps another 1-2 prospects just looking for the cheapest deal they can find.

In the end you have no choice but to lower your fees just to get the job. When times are bad and you know you have bills to pay, you'll eventually lower your fees just for the sake of getting a job. Afterall, earning 1 cent less is better than earning nothing at all.

High profile wedding photographers (like Louis Phang, just to name a a few) earns big bucks because they are well-established. But for most budding wedding photographers this business is a matter of survival of the cheapest.

Just my 2 cents.

i now know why wedding photographers deserve to be paid so much..
    Or rather, why some elite few, deserve to be paid that much..

Just saw some amazing shots by a studio, each looking like a commercial/fashion shoot. except of course the subjects are not models, which I imagine makes it tonnes harder to direct. Its like paying for multiple fashion spreads. And if viewed this way, I reckon the price they charged is well, almost too little..lol

Most budding wedding photographers shd be glad they charge that high..
    eye opener for me.
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 10th February 2010 at 12:04 PM.

no, not suggesting anything like that. just saying my photos suck.

what im really saying is, a customer sees your portfolio or past works, likes it, then decides to engage. so let your price do the filtering. charge as high as you can..if they like it enough they will pay.

(i'm glad i don't do this for a living though. with my sort of business mentality i would go broke in a matter of months..haha)
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    photographers have overheads to cover, family to feed, and equipments to maintain. Photography is art, you may have your own distinctive style but not all clients will appreciate your work as much as you did. Say out of 10 prospects there might be only 1 or 2 that truly appreciates your work, 4-5 prospects might not even know what is the difference between your photos and the others who are charging lower than you, and perhaps another 1-2 prospects just looking for the cheapest deal they can find.

In the end you have no choice but to lower your fees just to get the job. When times are bad and you know you have bills to pay, you'll eventually lower your fees just for the sake of getting a job. Afterall, earning 1 cent less is better than earning nothing at all.

High profile wedding photographers (like Louis Phang, just to name a a few) earns big bucks because they are well-established. But for most budding wedding photographers this business is a matter of survival of the cheapest.

Just my 2 cents.
    see, once you start low, its tough to increase your prices. and if you have to rely on prices to get customers, then you're in trouble!

its not just about photos and prices..its about people skills too. i had a wedding job simply because the wife didnt like the previous photographer. the couple said the photographer was rude to them, slow in replies and not enthusiastic about the whole thing. they were on a tight budget, but ended up hiring me when i was charging twice of the previous photographer.

dont just use price, please..it hurts everyone including yourself!
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    post processing is a real pain! haha

not to mention waking up early and working whole day. !

5.30am wake up, taxi to bride's home in Punggol, shoot makeup, ... right up to restaurant good-bye session, sometimes after that is pub celebration. Next day spend 1 day resting, don't want to touch the pics, just download. Spend next two to three days to finish off the processing (I usually try to give them all the pics, except the very badly taken.) I am not a pro (my skill is not there anyway), just shooting for fun. Six weddings so far, for colleagues, cousins' friends, and brother. Basically I go rent a 5D, go there and shoot everything and anything they ask me to shoot. My Brother's wedding of course I shoot for free; cousins' friends: they gave me $130, $200, and $150. Colleagues $100, $300. My last customer is a Chinese colleague. I gave him the pics on a Tuesday if I remember correctly. He gave me an angpao $200. Surprisingly five days later I received a check from him - $1188. I ask him why this much. He said his wife said that I have some pics which are better than the main photographer's. So now I am confident to say that I am worth $1188. I would like to encourage our young guns who are starting out to be patient, especially those who want to go pro. Work hard on it and you will definitely be appreciated by people. Be thick-skinned (no one is perfect when starting out), shoot more, and continue to improve. Your work and your effort will define your price, rather than you declare your own price. As for me, I prefer to shoot interesting people and models instead of weddings. Wedding photography is too xiong for me. It requires stamina and quick brains to excel.

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    its not just about photos and prices..its about people skills too. ...
    Ah yes I totally agree..
    Clients shdnt have a hint if u woke up early or been working non stop for the past week.
    Esp. in our traditional banquet when each table gathers to take grp shot, a friendly photographer, who dresses appropriately I may add, rocks..

He is a part of the whole experience as much as everything else..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12