Thread: A shadow of thought

Default A shadow of thought

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    > the thought behind the picture itself .. the composition

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    > build more compositions like this one

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    > A normal winter day near the gate of a building complex

Default Re: A shadow of thought

I guess this would be considered abstract photography...

If your focus is the shadow (hence your title), why include almost half a frame worth of just... road?

care to explain how your photo correlates to your title "shadow of thought" ??
    Exploring! :)

Probably include more shadow in your frame?

Quote Originally Posted by ravikiran View Post
    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    > the thought behind the picture itself .. the composition
    i can't figure out what is running through your mind through your picture

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    > build more compositions like this one
    no comments

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    > A normal winter day near the gate of a building complex
    i can't tell it is winter. it looks sunny. what is a normal winter day?
    too much road. no motion.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is a very poorly thought out and executed shot. It's actually not even a snapshot it's that bad. It fails to make the grade as an abstract as it's not abstract and it fails to make it in to any other genre for that matter.

Firstly the title. "A shadow of thought" by it's nature it's pretentious and leads one to think of a shadow cast by a human being or other sentient creature, instead we are treated to a pretty dull lifeless under vehicle shadow that's neither sharp nor distinct. It's wishy washy artsy fartsy BS at it's worst.

On a technical level there's little merit to the shot either, the exposure while not blown out is flat and lifeless, dull is the correct term.

Next up the composition. What composition springs to mind? There's not a lot of thought gone it to from what I can see, no subtle interplays of light and shadow, no emotional content and the shot fails to make any impact from a composition standpoint.

The composition would benefit from a slightly lowered angle and a movement to the left or right while shooting somewhat obliquely. The shadows need to more defined and in sharper relief for this to start to work and even then there's the emtional "sell" which is going to be nearly impossible to achieve. Less roadway and more truck is needed to bring balance to the image overall,

Now for the positive side. The exposure while flat is not blown out or blocked out excessively, that's a good thing. Secondly your basic concept is sound but the execution of it is woeful, so back to the drawing board and keep on plugging away, eventually you'll get there and produce a good imate.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Thanks Ian for your comments. I would just like to add here that this has been one of first clicks. Look forward to more feedback on the future posts as well..

I'm thinking if the focus is on shadow..then the shadow shd be somthing more unique than what is being cast here...pls kindly correct me if i'm offtrack...haha..just my opinion

I wish the line of the road is parallel to the edge of the picture. Are you shooting it with the sun behind you? Since your subject (according to you) is the shadow, I think it's better if shadow is in the foreground (the currently empty road).

.... and the mud gaurd draws too much attention. I think it should be cropped out.