Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated!!Lens

Angry Frustrated!!Lens

Im using a canon 350D now..people been telling to get a new camera as the 350D Is quite an old model n the picture quality aint good as the new model but i believe that there is still sumthing going on for this camera...

I got superb pictures for Potraits using the 50mm f1.8...Affordable lens and superb quality..

But comes to landscape,it can be quite frustating....

Tried 18-200mm Non-os,tamron 28-300mm,18-55mm Non-is,75-300mm but yet i still cant get the quality like 50mm f1.8...

Is there any lens that can be recommended to get the quality of 50mmf 1.8 with my eos 350D But on the affordable price?

Pls help you pros out there..thanks!

Default Re: Frustrated!!Lens

Quite hard to compare "affordable" zooms to primes unfortunately. What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Muqaddimah View Post
    Im using a canon 350D now..people been telling to get a new camera as the 350D Is quite an old model n the picture quality aint good as the new model but i believe that there is still sumthing going on for this camera...

I got superb pictures for Potraits using the 50mm f1.8...Affordable lens and superb quality..

Tried 18-200mm Non-os,tamron 28-300mm,18-55mm Non-is,75-300mm but yet i still cant get the quality like 50mm f1.8...

Is there any lens that can be recommended to get the quality of 50mmf 1.8 with my eos 350D But on the affordable price?

You got a upsize example to illustrate what you mean by difference in quality?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

350D is not that old ha....I got my 300D still!! Still makes beautiful pics
    Consider 2nd hand 17-40, EFS 10-22, Tokina 10-17, Tamron 11- 18 etc etc

you do realise that all the lenses you used for "landscape" are generally walk around lenses that cover quite a bit of focal range each, hence the drop in image quality.
    there will always be some distortion and chromatic abberation, particularly around the sides of the frame with these type of zoom lenses..

look into an ef-s 10-22mm and shoot landscape at a low f stop (f8-11) with a tripod and your results will improve drastically.

Rent a 10-22mm and see if it suits your expectations. I was pretty satisfied with it when I had my 350D.

The zooms should be pretty capable when u stop down the aperture for landscapes as well.
    Perhaps a little post to illustrate ?

ryan

I totally have no clue why those lenses that you used before can't take good and sharp landscape pics

Did you stop down to f8 - f11 to get deeper DOF which also probably get better sharpness? Did you use tripod? How was the lighting condition when you took?

We can only guess and guess without seeing the pics

Post some with exif data for discussion

Could it be ur settings? Did u nt achieved a greater dof by stopping down, applying hyperfocal distance etc.. Perhaps a pic or two better illustrate the probs u r facing nw.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Thank You so much for the reply....Really thank You

Mayb im still a noob in the photography thing...

Will upload some pictures using the lenses tonight...

Anyone can elaborate what do u mean by stop down f8-f11

Kinda lost a little here...

Thank all so much for the help..

Btw i never use a tripod before and guess mayb its the settings,but how hard i try to tune it,still cant get it right...

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Rent a 10-22mm and see if it suits your expectations. I was pretty satisfied with it when I had my 350D.

Hi,Do u noe any place to rent the lens?..Thought of renting a few lens,n see which met my desire results n purchasing it..hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    I totally have no clue why those lenses that you used before can't take good and sharp landscape pics

Did you stop down to f8 - f11 to get deeper DOF which also probably get better sharpness? Did you use tripod? How was the lighting condition when you took?

We can only guess and guess without seeing the pics

Post some with exif data for discussion

Thank you for the reply..Anyway im a noob here...What does DOF stands for?n how to stop down the F8-F11..Issit the apeture?

Hi,Which setting did u use when you are using your 350D?

i Currently using thE TV settings or the AV settings...hmm...

Thank You so much for the reply....Really thank You

Mayb im still a noob in the photography thing...

Will upload some pictures using the lenses tonight...

Thank all so much for the help..

Btw i never use a tripod before and guess mayb its the settings,but how hard i try to tune it,still cant get it right...
    most probably on the 50mm you're using f1.8 for the bokeh and blurry image. until we see the picture with exif info we wont know.

Hi,Do u noe any place to rent the lens?..Thought of renting a few lens,n see which met my desire results n purchasing it..hmmm...
    check out the forums more. there is a section where you can rent lenses. just browse through the commercial services offered section

Thank you for the reply..Anyway im a noob here...What does DOF stands for?n how to stop down the F8-F11..Issit the apeture?
    dof = depth of field. your aperture settings change it to f8 to f11. most lenses would be "sharpest" at this focal point. read here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
    reading it more would help greatly understand your camera better
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

Hi,Which setting did u use when you are using your 350D?

i Currently using thE TV settings or the AV settings...hmm...
    You can check the commercial services forum for rental.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

For my landscapes, usually a mixture between Av and Tv and manual, no hard and fast rule, it really depends on what you want to convey I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    most probably on the 50mm you're using f1.8 for the bokeh and blurry image. until we see the picture with exif info we wont know.

check out the forums more. there is a section where you can rent lenses. just browse through the commercial services offered section

dof = depth of field. your aperture settings change it to f8 to f11. most lenses would be "sharpest" at this focal point. read here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
    reading it more would help greatly understand your camera better

Thank You!Trying to read up more regarding the camera so as to Take real control of it..

Will follow your advise..N will post the pics tonight..Thank You So much!

You can check the commercial services forum for rental.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

For my landscapes, usually a mixture between Av and Tv and manual, no hard and fast rule, it really depends on what you want to convey I guess.

Thank you...Will rent 1 or two lens these few days..Thanks!

Erm .. you should focus on learning the very basics instead of hunting down gear in the assumption it would somewhat improve your images.
    Short but precise: Photography Notes for Newbies
    Elaborate and comprehensive: Guide to DSLR Photography for Newbies
    Without knowledge and skills no gear will help you - because you won't know how to use it. Invest some time reading. The returns are much greater than spending money on lenses.
    EOS

Thank You!Trying to read up more regarding the camera so as to Take real control of it..

Will follow your advise..N will post the pics tonight..Thank You So much!
    Make sure you post up the photos with the EXIF information (ie. aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed, exposure compensation, program mode, metering mode, etc)
    Exploring! :)

i am not sure if you can use 28 or 75 for landscapes!!..it will be too narrow field of vision. although 18 could be acceptable but yet not sure abt the quality of 18-200 at 18mm. Although from my exp all the lenses except a very few PRO grade ones can give decent to very good images depending on your style. Few tips
    • Aperture f8/f11
    • Lowest ISO possible.
    • Use Tripod if shutter exceeds 1/30.
    • Remote trigger to avoid vibrations.
    • Experiment with hyperfocusing for landscapes

Another advice could be to use lenses that have VR (in Nikon term)

If still you are not satisifed then you can try other lenses as mentioned in the thread earlier. Myself i am using 16-85 and the results are very good.

DeepS
    Nikon D90|Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G|SB400|Nikon 35mm f/1.8G
    BBB:<Some> 70-300mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast