Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

  1. #1

    Default what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    hi, new to this forum n the dslr kingdom lol, thinking of buying a k-x after reading many reviews and as find it cheap n full of functions, any1 knows what is a good upgrade lens to buy other then the 18-55mm kit lens? i know now the shops are also selling it with a 2nd 50-200mm lens but any1 here got any reviews on it? good for decent candid/scenary shots? but dun reccommend me MF lens cus im kinda slow at focusing, always miss the perfect shot cus of my slow focusing

    also the lowest price i've enquired i think was $782 for the single kit lens and if i remember $900+ with the add-on 50-200mm lens, any1 recently seen any price drop?

  2. #2

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    both pentax kit lens are god lens, and perfect starting out on dslr. 200mm is definitely sufficient for candid shots. scenery shots u will usually use the 18-55mm kit. Once u have gained enough experience on the improving your photography technique, you can den look to upgrade ur lens to go into macro, birding, or wide landscape shots...
    www.creativelab.com.sg
    Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-E1

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,056

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHum View Post
    hi, new to this forum n the dslr kingdom lol, thinking of buying a k-x after reading many reviews and as find it cheap n full of functions, any1 knows what is a good upgrade lens to buy other then the 18-55mm kit lens? i know now the shops are also selling it with a 2nd 50-200mm lens but any1 here got any reviews on it? good for decent candid/scenary shots? but dun reccommend me MF lens cus im kinda slow at focusing, always miss the perfect shot cus of my slow focusing

    also the lowest price i've enquired i think was $782 for the single kit lens and if i remember $900+ with the add-on 50-200mm lens, any1 recently seen any price drop?
    If you brought the camera and does not want to keep the kit lens, please sell it to me.
    Thankyou very much
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Welcome to the club.

    I'd always advise newbies to go for the dual kit combo if you can afford it. The latest bundle price is the lowest I've seen so far, so don't worry too much about devaluation. Plus, the lenses don't slouch on IQ.

    Try out the dual kit lens combo for a year (earlier if you take a lot of pics) and slowly work on shooting technique/ focal length and composition. Only when you know your gear is limiting your style go ahead and acquire better stuff. It's always photographer first and gear secondary.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

  5. #5

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Get the twin lens kit with the 50-200mm lens, it's simply the best value for money right now. Play around with the two kit lens first, then when you have a better idea of what you like to shoot you can think of what lens you want to buy next.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  6. #6
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Work on your photographic eye rather than fussing too much on equipment.
    The Pentax kit lens is quite a good lens and the range of focal lengths is sufficient to get started. It's great value.
    Here's an IR shot taken with the kit lens a few days ago.


    *istDL2 DA 18-55mm II

  7. #7

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    All good advice from veterans here. I've almost survive 1 year with only 1 lens + a 50mm 1.8 that my uncle lent me.

  8. #8

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    thx guys for your advice haha, btw i have a tamron AF 28-200mm lens that my sis gave me last time, however its meant for nikon cameras (F mount), i heared that some lenses can change their mounting is that true?

  9. #9
    Member blaz7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    I got the dual kit lens with the 55-300mm lens, i do find that its quite good, only complaint is that it sounds like an power drill when hunting.
    α Cameraman
    flickr

  10. #10

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHum View Post
    thx guys for your advice haha, btw i have a tamron AF 28-200mm lens that my sis gave me last time, however its meant for nikon cameras (F mount), i heared that some lenses can change their mounting is that true?
    It's possible yes. But you lose auto focus and aperture control.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  11. #11

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    It's possible yes. But you lose auto focus and aperture control.
    really? then i guess i'll just leave it lol, cus its a waste to mod it and lose AF and aperture control, argh the shops r out of stock lol, need wait till after cny b4 got stock for dual lens kit

  12. #12

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Quote Originally Posted by blaz7 View Post
    I got the dual kit lens with the 55-300mm lens, i do find that its quite good, only complaint is that it sounds like an power drill when hunting.
    blaz7,
    Can I check a couple of things with you on your 55-300. When the extension barrel is completely in (ie, lens at its shortest), do you find any free play between the extension barrel and the lens body? That is, it can move a bit up, down, left, right? Also, does the zoom ring feel much stiffer to operate compared to the 18-55?

    Thanks.

  13. #13

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    blaz7,
    Can I check a couple of things with you on your 55-300. When the extension barrel is completely in (ie, lens at its shortest), do you find any free play between the extension barrel and the lens body? That is, it can move a bit up, down, left, right? Also, does the zoom ring feel much stiffer to operate compared to the 18-55?

    Thanks.
    move a bit up, down, left, right -> i have not try...
    zoom ring feel much stiffer to operate compared to the 18-55 --> yes i free that too...

  14. #14
    Member blaz7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    blaz7,
    Can I check a couple of things with you on your 55-300. When the extension barrel is completely in (ie, lens at its shortest), do you find any free play between the extension barrel and the lens body? That is, it can move a bit up, down, left, right? Also, does the zoom ring feel much stiffer to operate compared to the 18-55?

    Thanks.
    Yeah, but just a tiny bit, not to be too bothered about it.
    α Cameraman
    flickr

  15. #15

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    I just checked again, when both kit lenses are fully retracted, there is just a bit of free play on the 18-55 (that's why I didn't really notice it previously), but on the 55-300, the free play is more obvious. I'll see if I get the chance to compare against someone else's 55-300 at the next meetup. If not comfortable with it, I might take it in to the service centre.

  16. #16
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: what good lens to buy for beginner using k-x?

    Welcome to the family.

    Just enjoy taking pics with the K-x and the dual kit lenses until you are not satisfied with your pics and then it is time to change lenses/upgrade to k-7 hehehe . . .

    Come feel my K20D and you will love to have one or the K-7
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •