Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

  1. #1

    Default Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Hi!

    Newbie here. Bought D90 two months ago, but just started learning recently.
    I took photos of frenz, but usually in auto mode.

    So here, my question...
    Using DSLR, what's the mode you using used when taking group photos or candid photos of frenz?

    Auto? Or Manual?

    Cheeeeersss!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    What are "frenz"? Or do you mean "friends"?

    If the latter, well, if you get good shots in Auto, why not? But if you want to use a setting other than auto, then I suggest starting with Aperture mode first before venturing into full manual. Remember, every situation, every angle, every room, every restaurant, bar, etc, will have different lighting conditions. In manual, you will need to be prepared to re-adjust your settings for each of these situations.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    If your pictures look good, who really cares what mode you are using?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    For starting, use Auto or P mode so that you can concentrate and learn more on the composition.

    Then learn how to have more control of the camera setting to get the exposure that you want with A, S and M mode

  5. #5
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Wil recommend A mode at least to start with as u need the greater dof for grp pictures
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  6. #6

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    I see!

    Thanks for the reply.

    Asking this.. because just recently I went to clubsnap gathering and learn that usually photographers DON'T use 'night' mode when taking photos at night!

    They use (P or M mode) and adjust the shutter speed and aperture to take great photos!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    What are "frenz"? Or do you mean "friends"?

    If the latter, well, if you get good shots in Auto, why not? But if you want to use a setting other than auto, then I suggest starting with Aperture mode first before venturing into full manual. Remember, every situation, every angle, every room, every restaurant, bar, etc, will have different lighting conditions. In manual, you will need to be prepared to re-adjust your settings for each of these situations.

    Sorry Rashkae!
    I mean friends! Apologised for my english!
    Thanks for the repy!

  8. #8
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    One of the advantages of a DSLR is the ability to adjust various settings (eg. aperture, shutter speed, white balance, ISO speed, etc) quickly.
    Especially with the D90, which has the additional LCD on the top and the 2 command dials.

    This does not mean that the auto scene modes should not ever be used... but really... I think the objective should be to move away from such modes as soon as possible.

    The semi-pro/pro models (eg. D300, D700, D3) DO NOT have such scene modes... Does that give you a clue what serious photographers prefer?
    Exploring! :)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    ya!

    And there's lots of differences too!
    The night shots I took using A and P mode are really a lot better than the Auto night mode!

    That's why there are so much differences between semipro/ pro and newbie like me! Haa

  10. #10

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    One of the advantages of a DSLR is the ability to adjust various settings (eg. aperture, shutter speed, white balance, ISO speed, etc) quickly.
    Especially with the D90, which has the additional LCD on the top and the 2 command dials.

    This does not mean that the auto scene modes should not ever be used... but really... I think the objective should be to move away from such modes as soon as possible.

    The semi-pro/pro models (eg. D300, D700, D3) DO NOT have such scene modes... Does that give you a clue what serious photographers prefer?
    DOes D200 consider semi pro ?

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by yumyum View Post
    DOes D200 consider semi pro ?
    D200 is the predecessor to the D300... I guess I would classify it as a semi-pro DSLR.

    If you have a D200 (or you can get your hands on one), you'll notice that its mode dial does not have all those logos for the various scene modes (eg. night portrait, sports, landscape, etc etc).
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Which ever mode that gives you the results you need, is fastest, and what you're most comfortable with.

    Knowing about light, controlling exposure and how to make it all work for you is way more important.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 8th February 2010 at 03:21 PM.

  13. #13
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    P is professional mode

  14. #14
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    btw only the image matters

  15. #15

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    P is professional mode

  16. #16
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Which ever mode that gives you the results you need, is fastest, and what you're most comfortable with.

    Knowing about light, controlling exposure and how to make it all work for you is way more important.
    well said! I agree!
    Exploring! :)

  17. #17

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    Hi everyone!

    Thanks for your comments!

  18. #18
    Member Guystqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore, AMK
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

    I have a few friends using A-Dep mode on Canon DSLRs. And when i went to read up on my manual on that mode, it describes that mode placing focus on both front and back subjects, so all will be in focus. Dont know how true, but yahs..
    The world through my Canon 50D (35L, 17-55) | Nex 7 (16, 18-55, Sigma 30)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •