Thread: Posterization

Default Posterization

So, to reduce the possibility of posterization, it is prudent to edit in 16-bit and avoid using a gamut too wide. But there's nothing much you can do in 16-bit no (e.g. can't use adjustment layers etc)? Or is it that my software is too outdated? Please advise

Default Re: Posterization

You'll need to try out different colour spaces and re-mapping. Just be conservative not to push till it can't be printed.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by sensornoise View Post
    So, to reduce the possibility of posterization, it is prudent to edit in 16-bit and avoid using a gamut too wide. But there's nothing much you can do in 16-bit no (e.g. can't use adjustment layers etc)? Or is it that my software is too outdated? Please advise
    What software are you referring to? You can do everything on Photoshop
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Color spaces, I though using a narrow one would be safer? like sRGB.
    And my old photoshop can't do much with 16-bit. Can't even use layers and many other function.

Blog Entries

Color spaces, I though using a narrow one would be safer? like sRGB.
    And my old photoshop can't do much with 16-bit. Can't even use layers and many other function.
    Funny, even in 8 bit I can use layers and all the functions... And that is in all the versions I have used

I use CS4 now and do everything in 16-bit RAW & RGB. There is still posterization. I realize that the raw file already has posterization (i wonder why) when I view the thumbnail from DPP. But I can't see when opened/enlarged. Same for the jpeg. Posterization when u view the thumbnail but can't see when opened/enlarged. Funny thing is when u upload to the web (full sized), you'll see posterization which was not present when you open and view on your computer. Anybody?

I use CS4 now and do everything in 16-bit RAW & RGB. There is still posterization. I realize that the raw file already has posterization (i wonder why) when I view the thumbnail from DPP. But I can't see when opened/enlarged. Same for the jpeg. Posterization when u view the thumbnail but can't see when opened/enlarged. Funny thing is when u upload to the web (full sized), you'll see posterization which was not present when you open and view on your computer. Anybody?
    The embedded jpg and preview jpg is heavily processed / compressed. Is it normal that the quality is quite low - because it's just a preview.
    Is your full size image processed in any way when uploading? Some platforms do an automated resizing when images are uploaded.
    EOS

Sorry guys I found out that the problem is solved by setting my windows display setting to 32bit instead of 16bit. . I will still edit in 16bit RAW though since my new software supports it. Thank you guys for the help