Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Airlines Hand Baggage Policy [URGENT]

Default Re: Singapore Airlines Hand Baggage Policy

Hi Guys,

* * * * * * * * * * please forgive me for hijacking this thread, but my question is not OT and might be useful * * * * * * * * * *

Would any of this apply for flights not headed for the US?
    If I'm going to, say, Canada and have no transit stops in the US, are they still gonna want to sniff my socks [ ] in Singapore?

If there's a significant difference in the way the flights are screened, I'm prepared to limit my choice of flights and even fly in the early morning hours, just to avoid having to fly into the US.
    ~~~

I intend to fly with my gear, and a laptop, but do not have a bag that is capable of carrying both.
    Would ClubSnappers recommend buying a bag capable of such, or to carry the gear in one bag (like a squarish LowePro), and the laptop, separately, in a light sleeve?

I think the two-bag approach will present problems.... What's the smallest backpack that could hold all the following junk, and still qualify as carry-on baggage?

Nikon: D40 + kit lens, D700, 50mm, small 28-70mm, 70-300mm AF-S VR, SB400
    Tamron: 17-35mm

Thanks.
    With modern cameras this smart, it's easier than ever to take bad pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by twiki View Post
    Hi Guys,

* * * * * * * * * * please forgive me for hijacking this thread, but my question is not OT and might be useful * * * * * * * * * *

If I'm going to, say, Canada and have no transit stops in the US, are they still gonna want to sniff my socks [ ] in Singapore?

If there's a significant difference in the way the flights are screened, I'm prepared to limit my choice of flights and even fly in the early morning hours, just to avoid having to fly into the US.
    ~~~

I intend to fly with my gear, and a laptop, but do not have a bag that is capable of carrying both.
    Would ClubSnappers recommend buying a bag capable of such, or to carry the gear in one bag (like a squarish LowePro), and the laptop, separately, in a light sleeve?

I think the two-bag approach will present problems.... What's the smallest backpack that could hold all the following junk, and still qualify as carry-on baggage?

Thanks.

Computrekker or something similar.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

Hi Guys,

~~~

Thanks.

There should be less "sock sniffing" if you don't fly through US. Flew there less than 2 months ago. (Only carried a pns though)

Sorry to hijack this thread, just wanna check if anyone has brought in the lowepro compu primus backpack onboard the plane before. Its a huge bag and i'm afraid they wont let me hand carry it. Thanks in advance

Hi Guys,

~~~

Thanks.
    Ever consider Think tank streetwalker HD??
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by mulisha07 View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread, just wanna check if anyone has brought in the lowepro compu primus backpack onboard the plane before. Its a huge bag and i'm afraid they wont let me hand carry it. Thanks in advance
    the bag should be below 23" in height

Blog Entries

Default Re: Singapore Airlines Hand Baggage Policy [URGENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    To be perfectly honest, it totally depends on the airline, the airport (yes, the airport), how full the flight is, etc.

The laptop not counting thing is, sadly, a myth. By that I mean, you're not going to be able to saunter through any airport you like and state that it doesn't count towards your 7kg/1pc/size restrictions. You might at some, you won't at others.

Some airlines explicitly state that exceptions can be made for expensive/fragile items (Emirates take a bow), while others are particularly annoying (best I not name them :P). I've seen budget airlines specifically state 10kg while full fare airlines insist on 7kg.

As yet, I've not seen weight screening of every individual passenger's luggage (size screening is more common), although I have seen spot checking. Doesn't mean it won't happen.

And yes, US flights are generally more tricky, or so I understand anyway I've not had the pleasure of a US flight since 911.
    Hi Jed.

The laptop personal item thingy is a policy of at least most of the airlines. It is explicitly stated on the airline websites (including budget airlines), as well as FAA.

I never had any problems with regards to that in all my years of flying around.

There is even a FAA policy about hand carrying guitars on planes. We were told by the music association to print a copy out and show screen personnel the policy should there be a problem. Worked every time. And yes, this is post 911.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th February 2010 at 08:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Guys,

~~~

Thanks.

I use the lowepro Compu primus. The laptop sleeve can be removed and carried separately, or you can shove it back to a front compartment and secured down. very handy. But the bag is quite big.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Hi Jed.

The laptop personal item thingy is a policy of at least most of the airlines. It is explicitly stated on the airline websites, as well as FAA.

I never had any problems with regards to that in all my years of flying around.
    Yes, that's what I thought too. But like I said, it might be the case at most airlines and airports but it won't be everywhere.

I know for a fact that Leeds Bradford Airport and KLM flat out refused a friend who had a laptop bag and a small Crumpler bag (D90 and 18-105 and a book).

I had, previously, never had a problem either, so you can imagine my embarrassment when contrary to what I had advised, she was forced to pack stuff away. Or dump it all in a huge plastic bag, which for some reason she didn't want to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Yes, that's what I thought too. But like I said, it might be the case at most airlines and airports but it won't be everywhere.

I know for a fact that Leeds Bradford Airport and KLM flat out refused a friend who had a laptop bag and a small Crumpler bag (D90 and 18-105 and a book).

I had, previously, never had a problem either, so you can imagine my embarrassment when contrary to what I had advised, she was forced to pack stuff away. Or dump it all in a huge plastic bag, which for some reason she didn't want to do.
    Hmmm. KLM is one airline I never had the "pleasure" of flying on. I am talking about one of those really slim sleeve ones, not a full laptop bag with multiple pockets etc... Was her laptop bag a full sized one?

Quote Originally Posted by tongki View Post
    Any idea how to bring an iMac 24" ?
    I need to bring 2 units of iMac 24" and had no idea how to bring it in

Some said they've been doing it with original box and bring it in the cabin
    while others recommend using iLugger,
    but CS from iLugger mentioned that 21,5" iLugger still okay, but they are not sure
    with 24" iLugger because it is too big
    Bring a carry on luggage and stuff them in?

No problem.

A laptop is considered a personal item. And if you carry it in a separate sleeve (not huge bag), the size and weight is not calculated as part of the 7kg handcarry limit.
    Ic, that means a hand luggage + a sleeve of lap top will be quite safe? I use to stuff my lap top into the cumputrekker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Ic, that means a hand luggage + a sleeve of lap top will be quite safe? I use to stuff my lap top into the cumputrekker.
    Yes, That is how I travel always. Never had a problem.

Yes, That is how I travel always. Never had a problem.
    Oh thanks. Probably will do that next time.. Sometimes can sneak some thin book to the lap top compartment of the computrekker, then carry another lap top sleeve case.

Hey guys,

I'm in Tokyo right now, managed to take 13kg on hand carry. Seems they don't care as long as the size doesn't exceed the 23" limit. I was even allowed extra 6kg for check-in baggage.

Hmmm. KLM is one airline I never had the "pleasure" of flying on. I am talking about one of those really slim sleeve ones, not a full laptop bag with multiple pockets etc... Was her laptop bag a full sized one?
    I have flown on KLM without issues in the past, the point I guess is, it's all a bit of a lottery and you can never take it for granted that you will be let through.

It was a normal sized laptop bag, yes, not a single sleeve. But the Crumpler was tiny, and both of them together were well within cabin baggage restrictions the issue was that she had two pieces not one.

Maybe, and this is a very big maybe, with the sleeve they are viewing the laptop as being on your person, which doesn't count (and is silly and ridiculous).

Does anyone know if belt-systems are considered as carry-on baggage? I am going on a photography trip to China in May and I will be bringing only 1 backpack and a belt-system for my camera and lenses. The backpack has to be checked-in for sure but I was wondering if I could bring my belt-system on board.

The belt-system will consist of 4 lenses, a pro-body, and a speedlite.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Actually its not so bad so long as you all don't fly into Washington Dulles/ Ronald Reagen Airport where the Security is the tightest i have ever seen

Hi,

As it happens that would have been the very airport I would have landed it, if not for a change of plans.

Even pre-9/11, they were pretty sticky (anal) about cars waiting, and drivers would be harassed every couple of minutes by one of their staff.
    He'd drive around and blast the siren on his truck!
    Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    Actually its not so bad so long as you all don't fly into Washington Dulles/ Ronald Reagen Airport where the Security is the tightest i have ever seen

Hi Krishna,

Just height? What about the other dimensions? Changi Airport has those metal frames for passengers to check if their bags are cabin-approved.

Maybe a more pertinent question is, can we rely on the manufacturers to tell us if the bag is airline approved?
    Even a bag like the LowePro CompuPrimus is specced at over 23" but is also rated as Airline Carry On:
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    the bag should be below 23" in height

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast