Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Which Drill to get?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Which Drill to get?

    I'm quite sick of the Black & Decker drill i have at home. It's very old plus it can't drill much into walls with ease.


    Not much into the Brands, either B&D or Bosch?


    But any recommendations on any affordable models that i can consider?


    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    I'm quite sick of the Black & Decker drill i have at home. It's very old plus it can't drill much into walls with ease.


    Not much into the Brands, either B&D or Bosch?


    But any recommendations on any affordable models that i can consider?


    Thanks.
    If your walls are masonry make sure it's a impact (hammer) drill. As a matter of course I'd be looking at how sharp your drill bits are. If your budget will stretch to it I'd suggest Makita or a Bosch cordless impact drill.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If your walls are masonry make sure it's a impact (hammer) drill. As a matter of course I'd be looking at how sharp your drill bits are. If your budget will stretch to it I'd suggest Makita or a Bosch cordless impact drill.
    I think local HDB houses use Hollow Bricks and concrete for walls. So would that clasify under masonry? Tapped my wall, doesn't seem hollow at all.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    What a coincident I just came back from Home Fix. They have a promo. B&D hammer drill (impacct drill), free set of drill bits (all sizes, think about 30 or more pieces) and a battery operated screwdriver. All in cost $149. Very worth it.
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    I second Makita and Bosch.
    If you're using it for wall and ceiling, get a powerful hammer drill.
    Wired hammer drills are more powerful.
    Branded drills are known for their quality, not just their brand name.
    Not so for drill bits though.
    a700 + F56AM + 50mm/f1.7 + 17-50mm/f2.8 + 90mm/f2.8 + 75-300mm
    flickr!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    I think local HDB houses use Hollow Bricks and concrete for walls. So would that clasify under masonry? Tapped my wall, doesn't seem hollow at all.
    Yes that's masonry.

    Cheap made in China drill bits are next to useless on masonry after a couple of holes. Prime spec High Speed Twist drills made in the USA, Europe or Australia can cost you a packet, eg: 1 x 6mm drill around 10-15 SGD. Those are trade quality drill-bits and will do quite a lot of work.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Besides a good brand like those recommended, and sad to say, a compact lower-powered impact drill makes life more difficult. Also be sure to get the correct bits. Most folks just get generic 'masonry' bits thinking they're fine. There are special bits designed for rotary hammer drills.

    If you're intending to do a larger job, or you foresee only short-term but very heavy-duty drilling, renting an industrial strength hammer drill and bits for as little as $10-$30 a day may make more sense, and make difficult drilling almost as easy as hot-knifing butter. Plan ahead.

    Also, look up guides on how to drill into concrete. It's not a matter of whacking full steam ahead.

    And remember, SAFETY FIRST - ALWAYS!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yes that's masonry.

    Cheap made in China drill bits are next to useless on masonry after a couple of holes. Prime spec High Speed Twist drills made in the USA, Europe or Australia can cost you a packet, eg: 1 x 6mm drill around 10-15 SGD. Those are trade quality drill-bits and will do quite a lot of work.
    Ditto. I prefer the German bits.

    Also, most folks don't maintain or keep their bits sharp, and at optimal angles.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Hilti for me

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    the more watt the better.. when it comes to drilling a hole

  12. #12
    Member tony_teo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    I'm quite sick of the Black & Decker drill i have at home. It's very old plus it can't drill much into walls with ease.


    Not much into the Brands, either B&D or Bosch?


    But any recommendations on any affordable models that i can consider?


    Thanks.
    Don't waste your money on B&D. It's really not good.

    For occasional use, I prefer Bosch, Metabo or even Dewitt (which is B&D, but for industrial use). I'm using Bosch myself. Bought it back in the mid-80s and still going strong. Just did some work on my brother's house (pictures, shelfs, etc.) Should cost less than $200.

    If you want something better, try Hitachi or Makita. You can't go wrong with either.

    Either case, make sure you get it with impact feature. Without impact drill, it'll be very difficult to drill into walls.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Try Dewalt.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    What a coincident I just came back from Home Fix. They have a promo. B&D hammer drill (impacct drill), free set of drill bits (all sizes, think about 30 or more pieces) and a battery operated screwdriver. All in cost $149. Very worth it.
    Cool, interesting. Thanks!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Ditto. I prefer the German bits.

    Also, most folks don't maintain or keep their bits sharp, and at optimal angles.
    I use the german bits for my B&D, but the motor just can't drill through.

    I had a new TV wall mounted recently by the professionals, and the guy used a Bosch impact drill. Just slightly bigger than my own B&D. The Bosch drill just Drilled straight through. If it was my B&D, most likely take ages to achieve that.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoh View Post
    Try Dewalt.
    Dewalt is an affilate of B&D.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Where would be a good place to buy these drills + drill bits?

    I do know of RS-Online, but that's a online shop. Would prefer to see the machine direct.

    RS-Online, does sell Makita Drills though.


    Thanks.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    i'm surprised that i am the only one who suggested Hilti.

    As for drill bits, it is still Hilti.
    Even for contractors who use Markita or other makes, they still use Hilti drill bits.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    I would have go for Dewaltz and Makita.Makita seems to be very popular with those contractors.I personally been using Dewaltz.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: Which Drill to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by lightsphere View Post
    I would have go for Dewaltz and Makita.Makita seems to be very popular with those contractors.I personally been using Dewaltz.
    Where did you buy your Dewalt drill?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •